Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wish this game would go on sale... :negative:... money is a little tight right now.

Is the original game by itself worth it, or is this the kind of game that DESPERATELY needs the expansions to make it fun? I've noticed if you buy them all together you save 10 dollars (:toot:).

Would buying the original game now and picking up the expansions later be worth it, or should I wait until I can afford all three together and seize them all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Though the price is ridiculous, in the interest of fairness, if you buy the whole shebang all together (Distant Worlds + RotS + Legends), they knock a whole :10bux: off the price.

It is horribly ridiculous that they don't seem to acknowledge that putting the game on sale would do two things: 1.) increase total sales and 2.) increase awareness for the game, further increasing sales. Word of mouth is a powerful incentive.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Been ages since I played but if I recall correctly, you have to send a construction ship to actually repair them (they turn over to your control once operational). It's important to take advantage of it as soon as possible and fix as many ships as you can before the AI players get in there. I always went for the largest ships first and gradually worked my way down.

Yeah, it's not very well differentiated from the OTHER derelict ships floating around- those you just fly up to and take control of.

In my latest game, one of the big debris fields was actually in my species' homeworld system (homeworld being Earth for Humans, Secura for Securans). I thought it was a nice coincidence- we may have lost our planet, but by god, we gave as good as we got!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Is it possible they've finally figured out lowering the price means you sell more in volume?

I was not planning on buying Shadows for a while, but the moment I saw it was half off, I had to snag it. There was no better time.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

So I know the game doesn't always produced the most optimized designs. Is there a way for me to have it set to keep a specific style in place? I add a few power plants so all my ships can go as fast as the hyperdrive wants, but it pretty quickly resets my orders. Any way to stop that?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

That looks like a pretty dramatic expansion of the modding capabilities, which is always a good thing. It'll be very fun to see what comes out of it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

Somebody finally got their head out of their rear end, it seems.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think I've read somewhere that this is a stand-alone, so I don't expect it will be the 100+ outrageous price that we've dealt with in the past, and that there will be a discount for people who own all three previous expansion packs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

More relevant: release date is 23rd of this month. Just in time, for us US folks, for Memorial Day weekend.

That's going to be a good weekend with Tropico 5 also dropping that day!

EDIT: This thread holds the pricing information. After release, it's $59.99 download, $69.99 physical, but knock $10 dollars off each if you preorder and $10 dollars off for each previous release you own, including the base game. So yes, if you have the base game and all three expansions it's $9.99 digital, with a Steam key to be redeemed.

The cost seems astronomically high for what amounts to a 'gold' edition of a game, especially the 70 bucks you'll drop if you want a box. Collectors editions go for less on some games.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 15, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I already own everything else. :10bux: is probably worth having it on Steam alone. Is it coming with anything other than modding stuff? I can't tell from the product page.

It's coming with a new scenario made using the new modding tools about the first war against the Shakturi, but no, I'm not sure what else it includes.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, it's one week to get the 10 dollar pre-order discount. You have until August 31st to get the 40 dollars off, which still seems a little short to me.

The number of steps is ridiculous, though. Why the hell do I need to sign up to two separate services to get a Steam key? Make it an option on the store! That's probably more Matrix, not the devs, though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You have to buy it through their store and then take the code it gives you, register for Slitherine, and use it to generate a Steam key.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think the best way to describe this game is that it's similar to Paradox offerings like CK2, EU4, etc., but with a slight similarity to Alpha Centauri in that it tries to have a Storyline, which is a bit hit and miss. Like a lot of space games, it tries to simulate resources and the like, but unlike them it takes them out of your hands- your Private Sector, which you have little control over, will take care of that for you, sometimes well, sometimes to your detriment. In addition, virtually everything can be automated and virtually anything can be controlled except the Private Sector. Want to grog out and spend time min-maxing your ship designs, you can. Want to control a single ship and leave literally everything else and go around exploring, you can.

Universe adds very little except for a few things, but greatly increases the modding capabilities, and they were already extensive enough before. There were well-done Mass Effect mods, mods that added a lot more races, etc., and it'll only get better.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wasn't there a $10 "preorder discount" until tomorrow anyway? So the celebratory sale is just extending the preorder discount for another week?

I have a feeling the conversation was "oh jesus christ look at all this money we're getting through steam we've gotta extend this NOW!"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

This is probably a bit of a dumb question, but I like making up countries and poo poo like that.

Is there some kind of nifty guide that I can use to make races in this?

Yes! The first thing I ever did with this game was mod in my own race. They have a highly detailed modding guide that should get you through:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think the game is well known to have memory issues, it made Grey Hunter's LP grind to an eventual halt because of them. The best advice I can think of is downsize the map a bit.

• Locked thread