Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

PUKED posted:

Man, I just picked up Legends to get my strategy fix until Warlock gets patched some more, and I forgot just how crazy this game is.

What are some good settings for a new game? I started a medium galaxy with 8 opponents and micromanaged everything just to get a grip on things, but I played for a couple hours without anything really interesting happening, so I'm not sure that's the way to do things. Is this different from other 4x games and you're supposed to start with a decently developed empire or something?

Honestly in ROTS I just picked the space dinosaurs and my diplomacy amounted to blowing up anything I came across and blitzkrieging homeworlds with troop ships, so I'm not sure I've ever really played the game how it's supposed to be played.

It's good to set some things on automatic or allow the computer to suggest actions for you. You can set almost your whole empire on automatic if you want so you can see how things work or just get a feel for things. Setting everything to automatic and slowly taking control helped out a lot for me. It also helps to eliminate some of the micro things that you just don't want to mess with such as sending out miners and other such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
For anyone that still plays this the sound, graphics, bloom, and explosion mods mentioned in the OP have really improved my experience. I was kinda lukewarm about the game since the ship models looked stretched and bare but the mods improved that. Also that awful digging sound the mining bases make is softer so I don't jump out of my chair every time I zoom into a planet with one. They really do improve the game a lot.

Edit: I also hope that the new ground combat mechanic is optional at start if it sucks.

Yar The Pirate fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 28, 2013

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Seconding the sound replacement mod. I also used the graphics enhancement mod the last time I played and it really made ships and weapon effects look a lot better.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'm thinking about getting back into this game but I've got a question that I think some more avid players would be able to answer. The problems I've run into when building ships and industry has been that I never really seem to run out of stuff. Certain stations can run out of resources but it's simply just a matter of waiting until a civilian transport brings in the supplies after a short while. I never really see any "fights over resources" from my end.

I imagine this can be rectified by changing some of the starting conditions to make colonies and resources more sparse. What settings do you use when you're starting a game?

• Locked thread