Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just "finished" my first game, as the three eyed rat guys. I set up a tiny universe with default settings otherwise, classic age. I started in the same sector as two insect races. One of them immediately placed a starbase in my home system and it went downhill from there, with them both declaring war before I had found any spots for a new colony. They managed to kill my fleets faster than I could build them, so once all my military was dead I said fuckit and quit. I guess going with such a small universe was unwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Attempt #2, again as the Teekans. This time I actually customized settings and put in only four other races to hopefully space things out. I actually managed to survive for more than 30 minutes this time. I am left with a ton of questions that I hope yall could help with.

First off, I constantly get notices about resource shortages that are preventing shipbuilding, even from resources that I already have access to. Is there any solution beyond "build mining bases everywhere?"

Whether the above is true or not, how do I actually keep mining bases safe from pirates? They were always able to jump in a few ships and blow my base up or capture it long before I could get a fleet in to help. Should I upgrade mining bases with armor and weapons, or just say fuckit and let them die?

Is there any way to trade other players for resources that I don't have access to and can't easily get access to?

Is it possible to see which ship designs are using a particular module? Early on I investigated a ruin, and got rewarded the devastator pulse. Immediately after the advisor offered to update ship designs with that tech, which I accepted, but I couldn't find any designs that were using it.

How do I get actually get research going at a good rate? After an hour of play I still hadn't achieved any high-tech technologies, but I hadn't found any spots that gave bonus high-tech research.

A little before I stopped playing, some pirates took over one of my mining bases. When I sent a recently recovered capital ship to chase the pirate off, it immediately blew up my former base. How do I get that to not happen, and just retake the base?

Finally(for now), is there any way to refuel fleets outside of friendly colonies if I haven't yet researched resupply ships?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I think I might have hosed up my game again. I decided to deal with my resource shortages by ordering mining stations everywhere, especially since I now have huge amounts of income to finance them. Well my existing few construction ships weren't enough, so I ordered a few more, along with the tons of military ships the advisor recommended. Those new ships are coming off the assembly line extremely slowly, but fast enough to overtax my caslon production. Now the majority of ships are moving around at minimum speed to various gas mining stations, which is slowing everything else down. And as far as I can tell, I can't fix this situation without getting those extra mining stations up, which I can't do without the construction ships and fuel, which I can't acquire without the mining stations, and so forth.

edit: Fantastic, while all this was going on, the lizards colonized the system I found with loros fruit and zentabia fluid.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 16, 2014

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

How do I encourage mass migration to new colonies? Waiting for them to grow takes forever.

Also I tried an age of shadows game with manual ship designing, and I'm already enjoying the game a lot more(more from the ship designing than the shadows). After reading Grey Hunter's LP, I am a little disappointed that the pirates are being so friendly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Set your taxes to 0%. Do this for any planet that isn't maxed out on population, unless you really need the money. Up to about 10-15% taxes you should still have pretty decent growth, but obviously it's a feedback loop so you do best keeping it as low as possible for as long as possible.

Also just make sure every colony has sufficient resources for growth, so make sure you have decent sources for all essential ones.

And build a Small Space Port with Commerce, Recreation, and Medical facilities at each planet as soon as is plausible. Or, IIRC, you can also use Defensive Bases with these facilities as well if you need defense but not another Space Port.

Thanks. I was already doing 0% taxes, but space ports and optimizing passenger ship design had slipped my mind.

edit: To not waste posts on a new question: If I have ship design set to manual, do I need to worry about manually retrofitting star bases, mining bases, or civilian ships?

And also, is having hidden pirate bases on most of my colonies a dire emergency? I'm paying off practically all of the pirates, so I would expect not.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Stupid question time!

Is there any way to easily tell which ships in a fleet are dragging down the entire fleet's speed by still using warp bubbles, other than by manually looking through for old unretrofitted antiques? I canceled my protection contract with the pirates that are putting bases on all my planets. In response they warped in a rather powerful fleet to my closest colony. Naturally I put all my idle military ships in one big fleet to hunt down and exterminate the pirates. 20 minutes real time later I began to wonder why they hadn't arrived yet. Turns out that the carriers I'd sent along were still using warp bubbles.

Secondly, how do I optimize refueling operations? I ordered two dozen new frigates to assist with pirate hunting. As soon as they spawned(rather quickly thanks to the construction speed wonder), I saw that they didn't start with any fuel and gave their new fleet the order to refuel. Then they all congregated on one gas mining base and docking two at a time, slowly refueling. Do I have an actual fast refuelling option besides filling gas mining stations with docking bays?

Third, is it anything more than a stupid graphical quirk when my mining stations don't follow the planets they're supposedly orbiting as the planets move through the system? Seems kinda silly for them to be sitting in deep space.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So do I need to put engines on my mining bases? Some of them are just sitting in space far away from the planets they're supposed to be mining from, and after a long enough time like that the planets stop recognizing them and allow new mining bases to be built.

Also, why would my ships be traveling at less than half their maximum warp speed(4600ish instead of 12000) when every ship in the fleet has a gerax hyperdrive?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

That's an odd bug, are you sure your placing your mining stations correctly?

As for speed, all ships in a fleet will use the slowest ships speed when going into warp. If just one of your designs has insufficient reactor power that limits speed by a lot (in the early game, a gerax hyperdrive will generally need 2 fission plants for full speed).

All of my mining stations were autoplaced or I ordered them built through the expansion planner. I guess it's time to patch and start a new game. As for my speed issue, that was just running out of fuel.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2014

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

My latest save refuses to load, so I started yet another new game. This time I'm the Dhayut, trying a superaggressive conquest game. Within a few minutes of starting I found an independent Sluken colony and launched my first invasion. 130K troops annihilated the 28K natives. Then the planet flipped to my control and all my troops disappeared. Is this kind of thing normal for invasions?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

The troop transports will automatically pick up your units once the planet is yours if they're still in orbit - I think it's a bug. I basically drop the troops and immediately move the transports to the star or a nearby planet.

I'd already ordered the transports back to my capital, and they have no troops on them.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Likely sucked into a spacetime anomaly that deposited them in a David Weber novel, where their incredibly advanced technology will be used to free a benighted people on some distant world that has, by amazing coincidence developed to a stage almost indistinguishable from 17th, 18th, or 19th century Europe, and/or any primitive civilization that was around during the colonial period.

Rest assured, though you may never see them again, they'll do your empire proud. :cryingflintlockmusketinfrontofanHonorHarringtonNovel:

I'm sure my terrifying spidermen will do their utmost to advance democracy and reason among their victims new allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

How do you get captured spies back? Are they still auto-failures?

I'm pretty sure captured == executed.

• Locked thread