Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Griz
May 21, 2001

part of the manual's section on "population policies":

Has any 4x game ever had such a detailed implementation of racial enslavement and genocide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

- Characters are neat, but they are sterile. The game has gone part way to a Crusader King model, but what it needs are events.

Did you do a quickstart game? Non-quickstart lets you enable/disable "disasters and other events" and "race-specific events"

Griz
May 21, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

Research is really easy to abuse in this game, there really should be some kind of limit. Essentially if you're feeling gamey you can just re-design your starting star base and refit it with 24 (or more) of each lab and watch your tech fly ahead of everyone else.

It does have a limit - your population generates some amount of research points ("empire research potential" or something) which are then "consumed" by labs. Your starting base doesn't have enough labs to consume all the RP, but I think you only need like 10 of each for maximum research rate on a typical start. I just leave the base alone and use the homeworld's one construction slot for colonizers while my construction ships build a few research stations with 3-4 of each lab at bonus sites.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Please note: Distant Worlds – Legends REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game, including the Return of the Shakturi expansion.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Shyrka posted:

How do you actually play it though? Won't the AI develop hyperdrive and dance rings around you? Or if they don't get hyperdrive are they smart enough to build ships with massive amounts of fuel storage to slowboat it to the next system?

You can cheese it by paying off the pirates and reducing taxes as low as possible without going negative, and not building any military ships. Research potential is based on population so you can continuously add more labs to your spaceport and get hyperdrive, shields, etc while everyone else is still stuck on their homeworld with garbage tech, and once the homeworld population is maxed you can jack up the tax rate to get shitloads of money and build a huge fleet.

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

My credits really took a nosedive once I researched warp precursors. Is this because I keep approving when the computer suggests smuggling missions? Also, to go greater distances on the same amount of fuel do I get better reactors?

Credits could be a bunch of things but if you're hitting accept on all the auto-suggested smuggling stuff, that's probably at least part of it.

Better reactors and warp drives can increase fuel efficiency, energy collectors let your ships stop burning fuel when not moving, and there's something with the math where adding enough reactors to run the warp drive at full speed can produce a small range increase with no other changes.

Griz
May 21, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

My state finances are awful, I've started hitting a -10k cashflow, but that had been propped up by bonus income from the private sector for a long time. That seems to have vanished now though. My maintenance costs are mostly for my Large Spaceport, while a little bit of it is my ~8 military ships. Even those don't seem like enough, because various pirates nearby (but not in system, I don't know where they're based) have much higher Firepower than I do Military Strength (~1200 vs. 700). I clearly can't afford to keep buying stuff though.

The first thing you should do here is replace that large spaceport with a stripped-down small. You don't need 30 docking bays, 8 construction yards, etc as a one-planet empire and the money you save there should be more than enough to pay off all the pirates.

The spaceport is probably also the main reason why your economy is in the shitter. Building that used most of your initial resource stockpile, and when you run out of a resource, it gets way more expensive which affects the price of new construction, refitting, and maintenance.

You might be able to recover by getting rid of the spaceport, lowering taxes (private sector gets most of its income from colony GDP), and placing an order with smugglers for whatever resource you've run out of.

Griz
May 21, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, that's the part I really don't understand. Their cash flow is positive, but their cash on hand is still dropping.

It's either the increased maintenance from your resource shortage, or they still have a bunch of ships stuck in the spaceport waiting for more overpriced resources to trickle in so they can finish their refits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

WYA posted:

Is there any way to make troop transports with preloaded troops or make them load troops quicker than a loving year?

I haven't noticed any issues with troop loading speed. I click the planet, the ship flies to the center, and the troops load/unload as soon as it comes to a full stop.

If your ships get stuck following the planet/moon around its orbit, add more engines.

• Locked thread