Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Thyrork posted:

I assume shoving an appropriate mining base on every world has no drawbacks? :haw:
Civilians do the mining, so apparently it'll start to bog down their economy. From the forums it seems like you want to drop mines when the resources add up to 100 or more I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamn, how do I efficiently deal with hidden pirate bases on my worlds? I have really powerful fleets that are destroying opponents but I can't successfully defeat any of the bases.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Bah, I can't get my fleets to retrofit. I can manually select ships, choose retrofit and they'll go to the nearest port and come out with the right design. When I retrofit a fleet though either through the right-click menu or the fleets screen they move to a space port, hang out for a minute, and then the retrofit order is complete without any of the ships being changed. Am I doing something wrong?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Less Fat Luke posted:

Bah, I can't get my fleets to retrofit. I can manually select ships, choose retrofit and they'll go to the nearest port and come out with the right design. When I retrofit a fleet though either through the right-click menu or the fleets screen they move to a space port, hang out for a minute, and then the retrofit order is complete without any of the ships being changed. Am I doing something wrong?
Ah no I'm dumb. The names of the ships don't actually change when the retrofit happened - the Frigates were all still Frigate Mk1-015, Mk1-016 and so on but when I manually check them they have the newer design. That's... annoying :)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I wish there was some concept of having colonies living on constructed stations, eventually creating things like an Orbital. Okay okay, I just want to play as The Culture. Is that so wrong?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Nektu posted:

Wouldnt that mean that you can never ever disable ship automation?
Maybe! That could be a cool constraint to play with in that style.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can make the sets of ships once and save them to a file once you're done. Then when you start a new game just load your ships and filter by what's buildable, marking things obsolete as you tech up.

Also make sure you're upgrading things and copying as new to save time (it's easy to miss how that works).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I'm not sure what a good way is to put newly constructed ships into fleets. Say I build 25 new destroyers - right now I have to go into the ship list, choose Military Ships, sort by type and find destroyer. Then I highlight the non-fleeted ones and choose their fleet. Surely there has to be an easier way?

It'd be just awesome if I could assign the fleet while creating the build order.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just go into the ship list, Military Ships, and all your newest ships will be at the bottom. Yes, you should really be able to assign them to a fleet on creation.
Oh okay, thanks. I'll try that! I think I was just knee-jerk sorting by type first.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PittTheElder posted:

Or sort by Fleet.
Yeah but then the ship types are all out of order :)

Edit: Okay filtering by military and then just scrolling to the bottom is way easier, good trick!

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 16, 2014

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What do you guys generally play with regarding victory conditions? I really like the different racial victories but wow, 20 years seems really short in some games. Thinking of bumping it to 50.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Haha, nothing like having a policy of enslavement and seeing full passenger ships enter your empire from the enemy :)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Eschatos posted:

My latest save refuses to load, so I started yet another new game. This time I'm the Dhayut, trying a superaggressive conquest game. Within a few minutes of starting I found an independent Sluken colony and launched my first invasion. 130K troops annihilated the 28K natives. Then the planet flipped to my control and all my troops disappeared. Is this kind of thing normal for invasions?
The troop transports will automatically pick up your units once the planet is yours if they're still in orbit - I think it's a bug. I basically drop the troops and immediately move the transports to the star or a nearby planet.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Eschatos posted:

I'd already ordered the transports back to my capital, and they have no troops on them.

Weird, no idea then.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

winterwerefox posted:

I tend to overkill my stations. 2 hangers, 2-4 boarding pods, 1000+ shields, 20 or so layers of armor, ion cannons, hyper deny module. I like using fighters for stations because of the range of the fighters. Get ship scanners and suddenly you are snagging up pirate smugglers at all your mining stations and starports.
Wait trace scanners will detect pirate vehicles? Sheeeeeiit.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay what influences how much stock of fuel a space port keeps? People have said that you don't need cargo bays since it's shared with the planet, but I'm always building new ships and I can squeeze out only a couple in a row before the next ones are completely empty. Then they slow-boat to the nearest gas mining station. Should I just build a poo poo-ton of cargo holds on each port?

Also I was playing an evil human empire, bombarding and enslaving everyone... and in the middle of a large battle my biggest fleet (>10K firepower) decided I was just too evil and joined the enemy. I didn't realize that could happen! Glad there's a downside to glassing so many planets.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

oswald ownenstein posted:

If I thought Galactic Civilizations 2 was dull and boring should I just leave this thread and not consider buying this game?

Nah I thought the same thing and this basically is consuming my life.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Ugh, killing the Shakturi is a slog. I have them bottled up on their homeworld, but they have goddamned planetary shielding preventing bombardment and a 500% bonus to defense. I have their planet blockaded while I've been recruiting literally hundreds of troop divisions.

Edit: Well, gently caress, didn't realize that special forces can disable things like that. I'll try that first!

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 27, 2014

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What exactly do special forces do? And does it happen automatically when you land your troops?
The in-game description is pretty accurate; they target planet facilities, focusing on ones that provide defensive bonuses first. Very useful to mix them in with invasion forces as it turns out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can also throw long range scanners on your explorers, miners and freighters. It's sort of cheesy I guess but it really expands your visibility and will help uncover pirate activity.

• Locked thread