Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Node posted:

I'm not very good at articulating why in this case. It just feels like there isn't much gameplay. I haven't dedicated hundreds of hours to it like Civ 4, for instance, but every game feels the same and the few decisions you make don't seem to make a noticeable difference.

Maybe someone else who has the same feelings as me can explain it better.

I tried the game with the last expansion, and was disappointed. It's a sim with 4X stylings, and not a actual 4X. Trouble is, it's not much of a sim. It's feature-rich but not playability-rich.

The automation handles peaceful expansion very well, but is very absent-minded when it comes to warfare. Even when I'm facing a hostile empire one-tenth my size, the automation won't simply crush them, but sends my fleets off to patrol perfectly quiet space lanes elsewhere and then asks me if I want to press for peace. Meanwhile my enemy is having a great time and expanding fast.

Fleet management is poorly done. There's no easy way to track multiple ships in different locations, and you can't rely on the automation. It won't even tell you when your World Killer gets destroyed.

Also, the need to continually refuel your fleets is painful, as it results in too much downtime. They could have handled that better by simply enforcing ranges, rather than micromanaging fuel.

There's too much to micromanage, but using the automation too much turns the game into a morass of poor decisions and detachment where every playthrough feels the same. This, I feel, is why there's no demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread