Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

This game is really confusing but fun! It be nice if things were layed out a bit more neatly, the expansion planner is very useful but I really just want something which says "You need these resources for these techs/components"

So far, I'm having to go in to the design menu to check what resources I need to build stuff.

In the Expansion Planner on you can click on resource names and a list of the components that it contributes toward will show up. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
A couple questions as I'm loving this game but also dangerously close to bouncing off it just as I'm getting past the Pre-Warp period:

1) I'm playing Securans because I want to be the Risans of the galaxy, offering up pleasure lounges and carnal escapes to the rest of a war-weary, lustful galaxy. I have no interest in combat in 4Xs, generally speaking, so how do I automate my military and troops without the AI bankrupting me by keeping a standing army of like 6 billion on my homeworld and without loving myself down the line by having none?

2) When I started I had lofty ideals of custom designing every ship imaginable, including private ships, so I deleted a bunch of the default designs. Now the game is bugging me to make a private Passenger ship design, which I did, but how do I know I made a ship that fulfills whatever the hell requirements it is that the game does with private Passenger ships? And I don't mean making all the red text in the ship designer going away, I mean how do I know I won't find myself in a bad situation a few years down the line because I didn't put enough cargo holds in it or whatever else arcane magic the game expects?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks for the tips. I went from full automation, which was frustrating me in some of the decisions the AI was making, to full manual, which was somewhat overwhelming given some of the obfuscation of what's going on behind the scenes, and I wasn't happy with either. I just need to find that magic balance between the two.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a simple way to tell an explorer ship to explore every planet/moon in a system? Giving them an explore command on a system tends to result in them checking out the star itself and immediately refueling.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
RPS just did a write-up about a Star Trek mod. It looks pretty fully featured.

• Locked thread