Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I bought Distant Worlds: Universe some two, three days ago. I'm not entirely sure when, because ever since I bought the game, time has been flowing in strange and weird ways, with hours seeming to disappear whenever I start it up.
If you're the type of person who has a problem with games where you just need to finish one more thing before you quit, this game is the absolutely worst, and you should stay away from it if you know what's good for you because it is a confirmed loving timesink, with a dozen things that always needs your attention. I can't recommend it enough.

My first game, screenshotted for a friend at an innocent time when I still naively thought I had an actual chance of ever leaving my corner of space:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think my first game lasted somewhere in the vicinity of 8-9 hours, or something like a 120 ingame years perhaps. It was pretty cool, I was learning the ropes as a small player in the bottom left corner of the galaxy, happy to trade and only occasionally bully the Desmaanu Collective. It was a mostly peaceful sector, with the majority of the fighting being done by the Free Odan Corporation. I was a rising power, though, and I was slowly but surely starting to catch up with the Odan, and I was getting ready to declare war and cement my position as bottom left space corner power #1.

This was not meant to be, though. Apparently the evil space bug not-antarans had decided to immigrate to my exact corner of the galaxy, as my immediate neighbor no less. That their culture was "way of darkness" didn't worry me overmuch- I don't want to be judgmental of other cultures after all, and I was all too happy to have a new trading friend in the sector.
That was until they war-decced everyone around me and brought the Odan Corporation to their knees in a matter of months. The gains they've made into Odan territory in the screenshot above, was almost immediate after they started fighting, and a couple of years later they were nearly replaced my new northern neighbor, with everyone else in my sector slowly buy surely ending up at war with them. Emboldened by a promise of help from the Ancients, and hopeful that our greater numbers could perhaps win the day, I made the incredibly bad decision to support the mechanoids. Who were based on the other side of the galaxy. Busy fighting the Erutkah's allies. I think you see where this is going.

I came into the game knowing absolutely nothing about space empire management, but I left it with the sure knowledge that an empire with 19k military score probably shouldn't try to bring the fight to someone with 112k. The most obvious lesson in this respect was when the space bugs opened hostilities by sending a planet buster to the "also me" sector of my space, turning my prosperous colony and its 1500m+ citizens into atomized rubble. I didn't even know you could do that!

This is the first 4x game I've played in forever where I've actually decidedly lost, and found myself in a position where I can't possibly turn back the tide and win, being barely halfway up the tech tree.

TL;DR game owns, buy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Is there any way to search for a specific system name or planet? I'm sometimes having trouble finding specific places due to the immensity of the game and the apparent lack of a "find province" button, as you find in paradox games.

e; Ah. I figured out why I didn't find the system and colony I was looking for. When the people I were at war with offered to trade a colony for peace, I assumed it was THEIR colony they were offering, not actually a demand from me. Welp.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I'm really enjoying my current game.

The first races I met were the Sol Empire and the Kiadians, and at this point in the game, we've been in a triple defensive pact for more than a century. The Sol Alliance and me (The Asari) account for over 50% of the galaxy's population combined, and we're neck in neck for the victory, with me at 76% (of 80) and them at 72%. But i've been catching up and overtaking them lately, since stopped assisting in all their wars of aggression, and started focusing on improving my economy and expanding my colonies.

E; I'm a democracy, so I've needed very little excuse to invade half the galaxy, especially since I've been surrounded by despots and military dictatorships- or worse, hiveminds. You can see the remnants of the boskar hive to the south. They used to be very big, and my main antagonist. They owned most of my current southwestern territories some decades ago, but after they destroyed three of my colonies to kick off a war, I destroyed their homeworld with its 20000m bugs, and crippled their entire empire in retaliation, enough for the Ackdarians to start moving in :angel:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 15, 2014

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
For my disposable colonies, instead of space ports, I've just been building a custom starbases with the bare minimum of necessities to keep the costs down, and it's been working out pretty well for me. I've got a few docks in them, so I may be running into the same issue you're describing, but my empire is making mad bank anyway, so I haven't had a problem with it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A good and insightful post ^

MagnumOpus posted:

The point here is that unlike in most games where the replacement of destroyed military units is an objective economic loss, in Distant Worlds it is also a mechanism by which the private economy is stimulated. Long story short: get blown up early and often.

That's beautiful, and I hadn't thought of it that way. My wars for profit are even more profitable than I could have imagined!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A colony or base is only disputed if it's in the territory of someone else. For instance, if you go to war with a faction, and they grab one of your colonies or capture some of your bases and you peace out or vice versa, these disputed bases will show up on your diplomacy screen, and you can pay or trade for them from that point on.

I'm surprised someone that you've subjugated are complaining about a military presence in their systems; I thought they allowed your presence as in a defense pact or such.

I have a question; I too just recently started a new game with all the story elements included, and the etrukah refugees are probably going to show up within the next few years. How feasible is it to shut them down immediately upon arriving in the galaxy? I don't think they have their planetary shield thing until it's actually built, and I want to have a small fleet of worldbreakers ready for them when they pop up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

uber_stoat posted:

Take note that nuking them can tank your relations with other empires. Exterminating the bug monsters makes you look like a bully if you do so before they reveal their true nature.

Pish-posh. What's one glassed planet among friends, eh?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
In one of my games, I had a major power that was always at war with someone over the course of several decades and had a terrible reputation due to planetary bombardments and constant aggression. Eventually, their war weariness and reputation got the better off them, and their 80 worlds or so ended up split three ways, with two new factions emerging, with two new different lead races. It's a neat feature when it happens to other people.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Quoting this post from Grey Hunter's LP, because I don't want to spoil too much of the Shakturi thing, even if it's all out there.

nimby posted:

Just design a super-boarding fleet and steal all the Shakturi advanced ships, then disassemble those for tech.

So, I did this. In fact, I did this to the Death of Worlds (one of the shakturi world destroyers), after it had finished murdering some 2000m of my citizens, and it didn't end the glorious way I had iintended. The shakturi had demolished some three or four of my colonies at that point, while losing the overall battle against the guardians and the human-kiadian-securan alliance. For some reason, no-one in the entire galaxy except a couple of tiny rump-states sided with the Shakturi, so they were totally outnumbered and losing the war rapidly- even if their world destroyers were apparently tearing up my systems.

Like I said, I captured one of them, and wasted no time in sending it towards the Shakturi home system. At this point, they only had some 3 colonies left, and in short turn I destroyed them with their own weapon, one after the other, leaving the capital for last. Now, usually when you invade and capture the last Shakturi system, you get a prompt from the Guardians telling you that the great evil has been vanquished (or something), and then they give you all their ships and techs. Not so much this time around.

For some reason, me obliterating the Shakturi world didn't set off the winning trigger, and the Guardians didn't dissolve and gift you their stuff like they're supposed to. Instead, without the evenly matched Shakturi around, they became a horrible galaxy conquering monster that expanded rapidly in every direction- not quite as bad, but twice as effective as the Shakturi had ever been. I thought I saved the galaxy, but really, I just handed it on a silver platter to our new robotic overlords :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Phlegmish posted:

apparently there are negative consequences when you brutally murder billions of sapient beings.

Thankfully, the galaxy has a very, very short attention span.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Finally managed to stop the Shaktur in its infancy! There's only room for one empire following the way of darkness in this galaxy! They were even nice enough to leave me their starbase and most of their ships! (.. because I could barely break their shields.)

e: I guess my fleet just doubled in size. :v:

Say what you will about the Shaktur, they know how to run an efficient planet. 40% of my GDP, even though I have 20 colonies

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 29, 2014

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I just put long range scanners and cloaking devices on mid/late-game explorers and park them in suitable locations once they've outlived their original purpose. Aside from that, I'll usually have a perimeter of monitor stations along the stars that make up my border. If you click the "Show Long Range Scanners" (or whatever) button above your minimap, you'll see the radius of your scanners, and they're usually pretty big. Placing one on every private ship seems like overkill, I think.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm doing custom game though I don't think that counts as Age of Shadows?

I think if you are starting a custom game with pre-warp tech levels, you are essentially playing age of shadows.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
When you click on a contructor, you can see what they're building. So long as it's a mining station of any kind, it'll always be a part of the private economy, even if you ordered it. I've also found that you can't trust the constructors to build enough or be smart enough about what it builds to be left entirely to their own devices. I may let them do their own thing from mid-game and onwards, but before that I always keep an eye out for good resource planets, because the computer often ignores them.

I'll keep them all automated, but I make sure to just queue construction on good resource points, and the constructors will get to them sooner rather than later, even if they're all occupied at that time.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread