Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
He's on bail pending an appeal, he'll serve the sentence if the original verdict is upheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

szary posted:

He's on bail pending an appeal, he'll serve the sentence if the original verdict is upheld.

Unless you're getting your information elsewhere that's not what the BBC article says at all. The only mention of an appeal is that the victim and her lawyer can appeal his release on bail. It's a poo poo justice system if rich people can effectively pay their way out of a punishment.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/20/court-allows-dani-alves-to-leave-prison-in-advance-of-appeal-hearing

Looks like it’s bail ahead of an appeal

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Scumbag Neymar's dad will pay the bail.
Based on Brazilian reporting, the argument is that since the expected date where all the appeals will be resolved is more than halfway through the sentenced time, he gets to do the appeal in freedom.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1770492876327190919

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

i'd say surely he's not dumb enough to keep the cash stored under his bed in giant burlap sacks marked $$$$

but then i'd also have said surely he wouldn't be dumb enough to molest a woman on international tv

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Good news for once: Brazilian justice has decided that Robinho should serve his sentence for rape from Italy in Brazil. Brazil doesnt extradite its own citizens, so Italy had requested that Brazil enforce the sentence there.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

joepinetree posted:

Scumbag Neymar's dad will pay the bail.
Based on Brazilian reporting, the argument is that since the expected date where all the appeals will be resolved is more than halfway through the sentenced time, he gets to do the appeal in freedom.

Memphis Depay has paid it.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/centregoals/status/1772316445914849642

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
Memphis Depay is incredibly thick and sadly also incredibly unlikable

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

Hello, Memphis

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

nawilo_420 posted:

he's just like me fr

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

nawilo_420 posted:

depay has said that he was not in fact behind alves' bail payment but this remains correct

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shrapnig posted:

Hello, Memphis

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Luis Rubiales could face a prison sentence of two and a half years if convicted of kissing Jenni Hermoso on the lips against her will, court documents have shown. The former Spanish football federation chief has been charged with one count of sexual assault and one of coercion in the aftermath of the kiss, offences carrying jail terms of one year and 18 months respectively.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have just seen someone pay money to not go to prison for rape in Spain though so

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Hello, Memphis

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
No one with money in Spain ever goes to prison I'm afraid. Also I just read that story on a big Dutch football site and 90% of the comments were unironic variations of "what a sick world we live in that you can go to prison over a kiss" :great:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i think every football-related person who does a sex crime should go to prison

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

i think every football-related person who does a sex crime should go to prison
Only the football-related persons, though

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lmao brilliant season

https://twitter.com/AFCAjax/status/1775051896664764764

https://twitter.com/AllAboutAjax/status/1775053347822710902

He started 2 weeks ago.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
These bald guys are very complicated

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Ffs what a goddamn moron

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it insider trading if your insider knowledge is your own appointment? I mean I’m sure it is but this is like betting on yourself to score a goal. Some moral impulse says maybe it shouldn’t be.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the sex ghost posted:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Ffs what a goddamn moron

Please don't post about me.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

the sex ghost posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He bought 1400 Ajax shares the week before he was announced lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

Advanced trading strategies

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Jose posted:

And probably been using them as leverage to short since it was announced

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
googles saying a share in ajax is about 10 euros

so he's masterminded a criminal conspiracy that might net him half a peugeot?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

He bought 17,000 shares the week before he was announced which was in August 2023.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the sex ghost posted:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So there’s now two separate stories going around:

1. According to Kroes, he was merely naive. He didn’t know that what he did was insider trading, and he just wanted to show his support for his new club. On top of that, he had told the board of directors about his stock purchase back in August, and he doesn’t know why they decided to take action now.
2. According to the board of directors, Kroes had informed them that he owned Ajax stock, but neglected to tell them that he had bought those shares between him being told he got the job and being formally announced. They only found out about the timing of the purchase last week, and after getting outside legal device moved to suspend him and terminate his contract.

Also, just for the sake of numbers, the €180.000 worth of Ajax stock he bought is currently worth about €164.000.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
couldn't happen to a nicer club lmao. Also, lol @ Kroes' story btw. Either he is lying or he is woefully incompetent and not at all fit to be a CEO of a publicly traded company

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Skios posted:

Also, just for the sake of numbers, the €180.000 worth of Ajax stock he bought is currently worth about €164.000.

The Everton Defence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQPNQ0PFSc

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Motherfucker was already “showing his support for the club” buying up its stock while still being employed by their direct competitor AZ lmao.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s almost charming to know that someone actually believes a ceo when they say they’re getting paid in shares as a sign of support for their company rather than it’s a massive swindle to avoid paying 50% tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's some unsurprising news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68721045

quote:

Luis Rubiales, the former president of the Spanish football federation (RFEF), was arrested on Wednesday as part of a corruption investigation.

He was released soon after being detained on arrival in Madrid from the Dominican Republic.

He is suspected of receiving illegal commissions when negotiating a lucrative deal to stage the Spanish Super Cup competition in Saudi Arabia.

Prosecutors are seeking a two-and-a-half-year jail term.

Mr Rubiales denies any wrongdoing.

After stepping off the plane, he was taken into a black van with several members of the Civil Guard. He was released soon after.

Spanish public broadcaster RTVE reports that Mr Rubiales could appear in court on Thursday.

Mr Rubiales was in the Dominican Republic when police searched his home last month.

They also searched the football federation headquarters and made several arrests.

Mr Rubiales is also separately due to go on trial for sexual assault for kissing the player Jenni Hermoso on the mouth after last summer's World Cup final.

Ms Hermoso and her teammates said the kiss was unwanted and demeaning.

Mr Rubiales was forced to resign, but has denied any wrongdoing.