Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Bacon of the Sea posted:

A classic example could be made of Robin Friday, one time Reading and Cardiff legend, who was prone to drinking past kicking out time the night before games, was arrested on his transfer to Cardiff at the train station for bunking the train and quit the game aged 25. His final game saw him red carded for kicking Mark Lawrenson in the face, leaving the pitch, breaking into the Brighton and Hove dressing room and taking a poo poo in Lawrenson's kit bag.

Reading manager Maurice Evans tried to get Robin out of retirement, phoning and saying "If you would just settle down for three or four years, you could play for England." Friday replied with the question "How old are you?", and after Evans answered, continued: "I'm half your age and I've lived twice your life."

Not long after Robin was imprisoned for impersonating a police officer and confiscating people's drugs and died aged thirty eight of a heroin overdose in his council flat.

There are a few summarized stories similar to this of various footballers in The Rough Guide to Cult Football. I found a new copy for $4. It doesn't really go into details, but it's a nice book to read while riding the train or what have you.

Also, I haven't read it yet, but Simon Kuper's Soccer Men: Profiles of the Rogues, Geniuses, and Neurotics Who Dominate the World's Most Popular Sport is along the same lines, but the stories are more detailed.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

tbp posted:

They could have at least attempted to make it look real lol

The retarded leg flop was what made it look incredibly stupid.