Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Joey Barton is a good footballer who before the invention of twitter spent his evenings fighting and stubbing out cigars in people's eyes.

It's up for debate whether this is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the sex ghost posted:

If i were getting paid thousands of pounds of week to play football and could have any girl I wanted I don't think I'd bother with the potential hassle of soliciting a child but that's just me

You can't have any girl you want because all your team mates know all the girls you know and are just as rich as you are (maybe more so).

It must be hell being a top level athlete.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wirth1000 posted:

What the gently caress is a "mild case" of driving drunk and going the wrong way?

No injuries or fatalities I imagine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Perfect Element posted:

Jesus. Surely his career has gotta be over after this.

Because no player has ever shagged a prostitute before.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah but they don't generally tweet photos of themselves while doing it.

Ah, right, usually they just video it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

For a hardcore Croatia Nazi he sure is born to Bosnian parents in Australia.

He was probably just trying to fit in and got it all wrong, like all Australians

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did Fellaini get a ban for that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Blackface is an important part of my ninja heritage

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Jazz Richards ‏@JazzRichards 36m
“@JamesS381: @MariaFowler @WayneRoutledge you two banging? Fair play give her one for me 😂😂😂😂😂😂” 😂😂😂

I love footballers on twitter

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Congrats to Cheick Tiote on marrying his 2nd wife, but unfortunately this has annoyed his mistress so she's ended it with him.

quote:

The Sun reported that she was ‘comfortable’ with him being married but decided to call the relationship off because he ‘used me like a mop’.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's a piece of poo poo for sure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bitch, it might be

Ched Evans is a scumbag but you just know some club will sign him up.

Yes, but have you considered that Ched is innocent?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

It's especially ironic because he didn't wyn his case.

But he might win the appeal (but never 2 1/2 years of his life back).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tsaedje posted:

He didn't win the last appeal, so I don't exactly know what new evidence is going to sway things in his favour at a second appeal

They're going ahead with it and it has been expedited which usually suggests something new/significant has come up but idk I'm no lawyer.

Even if he's guilty as hell he's served his sentence. If Lee Hughes can still play anyone can.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chedwyn is back training with Sheffield United.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/chiller/status/532134223189401600

Who will protect our players from Ched?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Ched Evans 'cannot go back to football' Carwyn Jones says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30049356

Pretty sure there are laws that say he can. Wouldn't expect an MP to know that, though. Especially with an election coming up.

All these people expecting him to apologise but he legitimately can't while trying to appeal his conviction.

The PFA posted:

"It is a fundamental part of the justice system in this country and society in general that a person serves the punishment which the court determines is appropriate and, providing that has been done, an individual is entitled to be released to continue with his or her life."

Except this isn't actually strictly true. He can't be a doctor or a teacher any more.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 14, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

That's because a doctor or teacher has a duty of care in their profession, making a sex offender unsuitable for the role. A footballer doesn't have the same duty of care. He should be free to seek work and football clubs should just exercise their right to not hire a literal rapist to play for their team.

Ban him from the christmas party.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pantsuit posted:

we're talking about football clubs though, not exactly the guardians of morality. it's not like he was working in an office; football clubs have influence in the communities they are in and letting a rapist play doesn't send out a fantastic message.

Denying a person the right to work after they have served the sentence for their crime isn't exactly a great message either.

It's a cornerstone of our society that prisoners can be rehabilitated and reintegrated. Mob justice baying for his blood after his release shouldn't be accepted.

Neither should we (the random people) be able to dictate what jobs are and aren't allowed for ex-convicts. When there is a genuine and direct safety risk involved there are actual written laws that apply. They don't here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Several sponsors of Sheffield United have said they'll pull their sponsorships if the club rehires him. And the Olympic gold medalist they named a stand after in 2012 has asked them to remove her name from the stand if they rehire him.

It would be a PR nightmare if they took him back. Surely there are other strikers they can sign.

Sheffield United have actually showed no interest in giving him a contract, since he hasn't played any football in 2 and a half years and that would be retarded.

The PFA asked them to allow Ched to use their training grounds to work himself back to fitness so that he might one day find a job in his profession, as they were his last club before he was sent to prison. They agreed as it is a reasonable request, and in line with their agreements and responsibilities to the PFA.

Queue the media and sponsors going mental and trying to dictate club policy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no major concerns over the power and prestige of a middling league one striker.

Marlon King has not had a significant impact on our culture that I have observed. Luke McCormick is captaining Plymouth with no major increase in drink driving offences recently (maybe we have to wait till christmas)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Adnar posted:

Reminder: It's not just because he's a convicted rapist, it's because he still denies guilt or accepts responsibility.

The done his time crew might have a better argument if he wasn't claiming infidelity was all he did wrong.

He is still appealing against his conviction. This is a valid thing that all convicted criminals are allowed to do.

Slaapaav posted:

hes not a felon who has done his time hes a rapist who has done his time and those two are completely different things

True. As such he is on the sexual offenders registry for life and by law can't work in schools and hospitals.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't think he is a felon as UK law doesn't use the term afaik.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No it's not, he's been denied leave to appeal

I stand corrected.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There was nothing going against Luke McCormick except that family's car.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I sit.

quote:

Police are investigating after a Twitter user wrote that he hoped Ched Evans raped Jessica Ennis-Hill.

On Thursday the athlete said she would want her name removed from a stand named after her by Sheffield United if the club re-signs the convicted rapist.

Later in the day a tweet was sent, saying: "I hope he [Evans] rapes her"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Clit Avoider posted:

Ched should just try to move to a country more accepting of the charge, like say, Qatar.

Then he can't drink first.

What's the point?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a poster on a fairly respectable forum you have a certain obligation to act responsibly and you know, use capital letters.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

Suarez got punished inside the bounds of acts happening during a football match and eventually got chased out of leagues with standards and into a tin pot second tier league. The long and short of the Ched Evans saga is if he admitted fault, showed remorse and moved on this wouldn't be an issue.

It is illegal for an admission of guilt to be considered a condition of a prisoner's release and reintegration in this country for reasons that should be obvious.

He is under no obligation to admit or apologise for anything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Essentially what you're arguing for is reduced liberties for ex-felons.

What Ched Evans did was terrible. Consequently, Ched Evans went to jail for it. This was his punishment. Now he's out of jail, he must assume the exact same liberties he had before - as galling as that seems - or we should just admit the fundaments of our society are fraudulent and execute him.

Part of his punishment is to be put on the sex offenders registry for life and have to notify authorities if he ever wants to leave the country or go near a school or playground, but strangely enough it says nothing about being 'in the public eye' however we choose to define that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CareyB posted:

For the record I'm a huge believer in reform and rehab over long prison sentences and punishment

It really doesn't sound like you are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CareyB posted:

I believe in education. Unfortunately you can't reach out to every single person and get them to see things differently all at once. You have to deal with things as you best can, which, for me, as things stand, is removing the whole idea of rapists being allowed to continue living life in a privileged position like there's no long term effects, because for other people, there will be.

You're arguing that criminals should never be allowed to be successful or happy again, which is the opposite of rehabilitation and reintegration.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CareyB posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying that convicted rapists and murders who have not atoned or been rehabilitated should not be in positions of power and influence.

Who defines what these positions are? The law has already decided which professions are unsuitable for convicted rapists but you've apparently got some different standards in mind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

stickyfngrdboy posted:

She's a victim of a horrific crime, and her triggers will be complex and difficult to avoid. No it isn't fair, and in my own opinion Sheffield United should refuse to re-sign him just because the girl is local to that club.

Didn't the incident happen in Rhyl or some similar shithole?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
An immigrant working in a chip shop got my order wrong last night cause we couldn't understand each other's hilarious accents. They should all be deported.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

I can already hear the chants of "he rapes who he wants" ringing out from the terraces.

I didn't know Van Persie was playing tonight

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Alan Pardew did nothing wrong when he slept with his player's wives.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

If he was more aware of his position in the public eye, he probably would have come out of prison contrite, humble and possibly donating to or otherwise show support for a victims of rape charity or whatever, or at least pretend to. This would have helped make himself more employable in his chosen profession of football player with a public profile, whose career is in many ways dependent on the public's opinion of him.

He didn't and now possible employers find it hard to convince their club's fans that he should in any way represent their club.

It's the "innocent" man's dilemma. He might genuinely believe himself innocent, but admitting guilt would (people assume, I doubt tbh) get him better treatment. People have stayed in prison for life rather than confess to something they didn't do in exchange for freedom.

It's unethical to condemn someone based on refusal to admit guilt and pay a bunch of money to women's charities. It's perfectly fine to convict him if the courts are sure it happened. Becoming a spokesperson for 'don't rape, kids' wasn't part of his sentence.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

He doesn't think himself guilty and acts accordingly and the public take him as guilty, as he was sentenced by a court, and act accordingly.

Unfortunately the public seem to being taking him as guilty and having got away with it, and seek to punish him further as if sentence wasn't passed and carried out to the satisfaction of the court.

See earlier posters who believe Ched playing football again would be a tacit endorsement of rape by society, and 2 and a half years in prison and a lifetime on the sex offenders registry isn't a message of condemnation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The further punishment here is just the public's reaction to his stance in the matter,

I don't think this is true. My impression is it's just one log on the bonfire and he'd be burning just as bad without it.

'Everyone fine with Sheffield United signing apologetic rapist' is not a headline I can imagine reading.