Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I have a sad story regarding one of the best strikers that has ever played for my team.

Mário Jardel was a brilliant, brilliant scorer. Not especially gifted with his feet, but one of the best headers in the game and just overall amazing at finding goals. Hired from Vasco in 1994, he was part of Grêmio's winning Libertadores campaign in 1995, being the top scorer with 12 goals. Every Grêmio supporter that's between 20 and 30 years old now probably still has a kid-sized #16 jersey stuffed somewhere in their belongings. Shorty thereafter, he transferred to Porto, where he proceeded to be the top goalscorer in all goddamned Europe on two seasons (98-99, 99-00), top scorer in the 99-00 UCL alongside Raúl and Rivaldo, and have a 1.04 average goals per match (130 goals in 125 games). After a brief stint in Galatasaray, where he couldn't really adapt - but still kept his great average and won the UEFA Supercup -, he went back to Portugal, this time playing for Sporting. Again, he was Europe's top scorer with 42 goals in 30 matches, winning all three Portuguese national titles.

After seven years of amazing play, Jardel was sure to become a top striker for one of the best European teams at age 28, in the year of 2002.

He has gone through 15 different clubs since, most of them quite small, scoring about 40 goals in the last 11 years - less than what he scored in a single season, in 01-02.

Jardel became a victim of a crippling cocaine habit, which made him fat, lazy, prone to injuries and a much, much worse player. That much was confessed by him in 2008, when he returned to Brazil to play for Série B's Criciúma. Although he apparently kicked the habit, he could never return to form, becoming a journeyman striker playing extremely short contracts for Série D clubs, a joke and a vague memory to most football fans. It's quite a sad tale, but he now thinks about becoming a coach and doesn't show signals of recent drug abuse, so there's a silver lining to the story, even if a faint one.

Dias fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Nah, he came to my club Sporting and that's where he led us to the title and scored all those goals, he never played for Benfica. He's a legend here in Portugal because we (Porto and Sporting fans) only had to put up with him when he was one of the best strikers in the world, his downfall only came when he moved away though his taste for the night life was already pretty notorious when he played in Portugal, not only alcohol and drugs but also gambling. Rarely have I seen such a prolific poacher, he didn't do much for the team but he was always in the right place to score thus his ridiculous goal record, in recent times Falcao was obviously an icon for Porto but even he didn't come close to the impact Jardel had in that team, which should give people an idea of his talent.

Gah, I didn't even notice I hosed up the club, sorry. That was a bad cockup.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

His defence was that he was aware of it but didn't do anything to stop it, so it might have been the maximum a conspiracy charge in brazil could go too. You'd need a Portuguese speaker to get any further into the sentencing reasons.

Thread title probably needs changing though.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the maximum time for any charges in Brazil is 30 years.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crazy Ted posted:

Juve president looked Ronaldo longingly in the eyes

well that's already more than ronaldo did can't blame him