Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Football Manager twitter account was retweeting plenty of players during the world cup playing their game, on planes between matches, in hotel rooms and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Bundy posted:

Because parents are dumb and buy into "low fat turkey offal from the Christmas cull covered in bread = healthier than hosed up chicken covered in bread that doesn't say low fat" bullshit.

Because Jamie Oliver hates them and everyone loves pissing off Jamie Oliver.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

throwing out a crazy idea here but maybe it’s not the age of the ref that’s the problem

Refs must provide their own zorb bubbles to roll around the pitch with, insulated from abuse. After extensive studies we have determined such restrictions would have no deleterious effect on refereeings already high standards.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

maybe parents could conduct themselves with the slightest shred of self respect?

No, it’s the the snowflakes that are the problem

The problem is a top down one, as much as grassroots. Start handing out yellow cards for any player giving the ref abuse during a game while also removing/banning parents from the pitch-side. It'll be a murderous few months but it'll sort itself out.

Edit: I realise the post of mine you quoted can be interpreted as saying the refs need to toughen up. I didn't mean that. More that refs do need protection and the level of abuse they'll get will end up with them in zorb bubbles, medieval armour, or, as is happening, no-one getting into low-level reffing at all.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Michael Owen is a hosed up little weirdo in the most boring way possible

Get your tits out!
"For the lads?"
What?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
two two, on one on, can we get a little boost in the mids? A little around, just here. Yeah. Like that.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Good of him to let her have the bed and he takes the chair.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Phil Neville too.

There are also far too many of his own framed shirts on that wall.

In my mind you've completely failed as a footballer if you don't have a pool/snooker table with jerseys hung around it, a serious drinking problem, and owe hundreds of thousands to a bookie who'll only collect on your death or your leg breaking. And this was in the 70s.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
unfortunately neither Jack Grealish nor Mrs. Jack Grealish 69 can't figure out, despite years of trying, why they haven't had a child yet

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sticksy posted:

Maybe he was just trying to get the waiter's attention?

He now wishes to deeply learn about "music."

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Jose posted:

He bought 1400 Ajax shares the week before he was announced lol

And probably been using them as leverage to short since it was announced

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Overton Window has been shifted on "Footballers Going Feral."

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0509/1448236-dundalk-goalkeeper-shelvey-given-10-match-suspension/

English keeper given red card for calling an official an "Irish oval office" after a League of Ireland match. 10 match ban which according to some I've read is the standard for "racial/discriminatory" abuse (first instance) so it's following and keeping up the standard. Fella accepts he shouldn't have said it, apologised, and understands and accepts it's discriminatory. He won't be appealing the ban.

Footballer going feral and then going, "Yer, I probably shouldn't have done that." Good stuff all around.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mickolution posted:

He's been dogshit all season, anyway.

LOI.tv is too expensive to subscribe to. And it's all upfront if you want the entire season, replays (which were limited last time I looked,) replays of matches that are on at the same time so you can't watch them live, etc. rather than a month by month sub. gently caress that. At that point I'm rarely bothered to even watch the games on RTÉ. Got some match passes to watch Cork City games a few time last season, and to be fair their customer service (when you found it) was pretty good if anything went wrong with the stream. No argument from them and straight up, "We can offer you a refund or give you a match pass to another game. Just email us the day before the match you want the pass to telling us which one." Always chose the free pass as I'd prefer the football to the cash I've already spent.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The night-time matches make it a pain in the rear end for me. Even at the height of summer it'd be too dark for me to get a bus home as by the time I get to my destination the walk along the roads is too dark and dangerous even if you're lit up like a Christmas tree. It's bad enough during they day that I've been less inclined to take the bus lately.

So that means when you combine the cost of tickets+taxi+few pints it's just too much given what I have coming in. A Saturday or Sunday afternoon game when I could head into town after and do a bit of shopping and maybe get a spin home would be much better. There's a reason most English games are on at 3pm on a Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Was a culture shock for me the first couple of times, dead on my feet and then settling into a restaurant at 11pm

I don't mind the eating times. I'm happy to eat late as long as I know that's what I'm doing. I'll just take the morning lazily then nibble and have a couple of light meals (baguette, bitta ham, light cheese,) as well as frequent coffees, during the day, instead of a giant meal in the evening.

I think the UK and Irish have hosed up our drinking patterns. We should be day drinking during the winter as well as the summer. We have more light during the day, plus a few hours in darkness for when you're pished. Going until the early hours ain't right unless you're in your twenties, at most. Pensioners have it correct, early afternoon, into the pub, midweek, by 3pm, few pints until 8pm, then an early sleep and you have the next morning and early afternoon to do all your business and eat. If the pub is good you can go until 10pm, at which point you're committed til closing but still have a "Pull up! Pull up!" safety call. Closing is no later than midnight. No loving late-bars outside special occasions or you've met the most interesting person in ten years. Definitely not for a shag unless you're recently divorced. Hopeful, driven by the horn, 2am drinks is the preserve of idiocy you've grown out of.

Only going day drinking on summer, bank holiday, sunny weekends allows you no rhythm. It's for amateurs, or people on cocaine or who are a outright dangerous, but I repeat myself.

I think the North of France has it right, with their culture, for our climate. Long days (actual daytime) on the weekend, starting at 11am. Constantly drinking, constantly eating, big family event in a house/apartment (whether family of friends, or literal family.) By 8pm everyone is glowing and ready to explode and the kids are knackered and ready to sleep. Although the Northern French guys I knew said they appreciated our weekend sports/club/team culture of do something from the morning until about 4 pm, clean up, big group in the pub with no pressure and drink stout until 11pm.

My Simplified Theory of Northern European Drinking — Excluding Scandinavia. (Scandinavia being an almost completely different, but parallel, discipline.)