Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wirth1000 posted:

Looked up the Chairman and drat

Less a neckbeard and more of a lush jungle.

He seriously looks like he's wearing an inflatable suit :-o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

At this point the daft oval office is more known for the poo poo he's done off the pitch than on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Ranger#Controversies

EDIT: and at this rate I don't think he'll ever get the chance to do anything worthwhile on the pitch either.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What the gently caress is wrong with these assholes :psyduck: Stop raping people!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Schweini serving up bread and soup in addition to tasty tackles and passes, what a guy!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Munin posted:

No worries.

For francophonic pleasure here's what was posted on reddit

"je m'en bats les couilles" is a much better expression "don’t give a poo poo" not to mention the difference between "démerder" and "deal with"...

The language has been totally watered down in the translation as if delicate sensibilities might be offended.

Well would you mind explaining those differences to us non francophones?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jesus loving Christ how thick is Benzema seriously?

If he's convicted, I can't see him getting back into the national team again, even if his prison sentence isn't long enough to put an end to his career.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh Big Sam, you loving retard idiot.

On the upside as a Finn whose national press seems dedicated to fellating various celebrities and trying to make celebrities out of politicians, it's nice to see proper journalists doing their jobs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blue Star Error posted:

What they did was akin to inviting Gazza out for a drink and then plastering ALKY GAZZA FALLS OFF WAGON all over the front page.

I'm not sure I agree with that in return! If anyone were to do that to Gazza or some other alcoholic (or people with other addictions) that would be immoral and deplorable. They would be intentionally preying on a weakness, which is not quite what happened with Harry, IMO.

I mean, yeah, there's an element of entrapment here, but Harry is just as capable as anyone else of saying "nope, not doing that, this is dodgy as gently caress, sorry lads" and walking out. Probably even moreso because as the England manager he should be financially well off and not actually in desperate need of money. It may not be lily white as far as morals go, but it's also interesting to hear how many bites they got, which could indicate a widespread issue of corruption in sport.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Did anyone used to watch Dream Team on Sky One, that drama about a fake football team wearing purple?

Well anyway in that the players were basically incapable of having sex by themselves, their first thought when they pulled was to call their teammates to hide and secretly watch them or to have them join in, often in the club locker rooms.

Back when that show was on the telly in Finland the channel running it raffled off Harchester United replica shirts. My brother won one of them. I should see if he still has it somewhere.

That's my Dream Team story.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finland and CSKA Moscow's Roman Eremenko has been banned for two years after he tested positive for (wait for it) cocaine following the Leverkusen - CSKA game.

I guess nose day came early for him!

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/eremenko_banned_for_2_years_over_positive_cocaine_test/9301914

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

His lawyer is claiming the cocaine ended up in his system "by accident" and through some way they just can't explain.

Well I guess you gotta at least TRY.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not that I wouldn't love to disappoint them all at once but isn't it a bit weird to get topless with your sisters and smush your tits all over each other for publicity

"What we do in life echoes in eternity. Welp, time for me to get my tits out!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jesus christ, that should be a multi-month ban. He just punches the poo poo out of that Villa player.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So obviously now the next move is to strip the games from Qatar and give them to someone else while there's still time to organize, then prosecute those involved to make sure they never hold positions of power in football again, right?

Right, guys?

Right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's "crud" to you? That word is pretty benign in the states.

With a "don't give a cr*d" attitude like that you could be a cheerleader in the mighty Seattle Sounders Green Hell Family Supporters section.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bape Culture posted:

I’d rather be a negrito than a turk

Excuse me but the non-racist South American term is turkito.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vagabundo posted:

Ban Iran from all FIFA-sanctioned events and ban them from the 2023 AFC Asian Cup.

Oh no no, don't worry. FIFA are "in talks" with them and "hope for a resolution" before the World Cup Qualifiers start.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Didn't know he was interested in a move to Liverpool.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wait, did they crash into each other? Or were they both in one car, and the other driver was also drunk?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shrapnig posted:

The article seems to read that they crashed into each other.

That's amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boy that hair implant is looking super natural.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Arrests 1 - 0 Signings

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blue footed boobie posted:

He’ll be like a new signing when he’s sprung from jail.

He'll be playing with painkillers while he gets over the shank wounds.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CyberPingu posted:

"I have a particular set of skills. Some of which Man Utd paid £80m for. The jury is still out wether it was worth it or not"

Narrator: "It wasn't".

He's a decent enough defender but for a world record fee you'd want better than decent enough. But here we are.

But hey, at least something entertaining is happening at United right now!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mickolution posted:

Has been for the last 7 years or so.

:smith:

Depends on the perspective I guess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Seemingly the Greek justice system operates on the Phoenix Wright schedule, if they got everything done and dusted in a day or two after his arrest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some journos claiming the defence wasn't given any time to prepare, and the only evidence presented was a policeman's testimony.

Sounds like a very legit trial if true.

E: also

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1297808578238185472

Why indeed

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://twitter.com/marthakelner/status/1298304607773511680

Apparently there's a scheme where you can convert your jail time into a scaling fine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CyberPingu posted:

Could Sky make more money if they made individual games purchasable?

Like, you would lose some full subs but be propped by more people buying individual games

Traditional wisdom is no. People are habitual subscribers and will stay subscribed to things even if they're not actively using them, because cancelling would be a hassle and a bunch of other reasons. Once you hook someone in, chances are they will stay hooked unless something drastic happens, whereas with individual matches on demand you have to get people to make that purchasing decision every game, which is a lot harder to sustain.

One of the podcasts I listen to is hosted by a guy who is management at some international corporation (he hasn't said which one, for obvious reasons) that does a lot of on-demand video streaming stuff. Apparently the Premier League have explored a variety of options as they're waking up to the fact that traditional cable subscriptions are becoming a thing of the past, and people are moving to á la carte streaming services.

They have hired companies to do analysis on the various scenarios (PL moving to a purely online subscription service, matches being sold on-demand, rights being split up among various streaming services etc) and the general feeling is that there is a vast market they're not currently reaching because many people don't want to pay 50 moneys a month for a cable subscription, and they could potentially make a lot more money with streaming options.

Apparently the leading option is a dedicated PL streaming service, but the problem is producing content for that streaming service in-house. The PL currently offer in-house commentary on all the matches for foreign services that don't have their own commentary teams as well as their own weekly magazine shows, but that's still a far cry from the studio setups, pundit lineups and other filler stuff you'd need to sell a dedicated streaming service to people.

But I guess it's the direction we're moving in.

Mickolution posted:

I really doubt it. What would they charge per game?

A few years ago the Finnish national hockey league moved first to a dedicated cable channel, then a bunch of dedicated cable channels (basically enough channels to broadcast all the games in a single round at once), and finally online, offering both monthly subscriptions as well as VOD options.

The monthly subscriptions are by far the better deal even if you only watch a game or two a month; individual games cost close to 10€ apiece, whereas a monthly pass for one team's games is 19,99€. Obviously the idea is to hook everyone in as subscribers and keep their subscriptions auto-renewing as people forget to cancel them, and buying individual games is intended to be prohibitively expensive.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 27, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey don't worry guys we all just took it out of context. No he won't explain how, but we did.

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1301856100359245829

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Giggsy's been arrested for beating up his partner.

quote:

Wales football manager Ryan Giggs has denied all allegations against him after being arrested on suspicion of assaulting his partner.

Police were called to the house of Giggs just after 10pm on Sunday amid reports of “a disturbance”.

He was subsequently questioned on suspicion of actual bodily harm and assault before being released on bail.

https://theathletic.com/news/ryan-giggs-assault-girlfriend-police/NIN1hqhsbmBb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Al2001 posted:

He allegedly beat up his Hollyoaks girlfriend in the 90s (and I mean allegedly as in there were fuckloads of witnesses and everyone in Manchester knew about it.)

Ugh. As a footballer he was one of my favourite players, but as a human being he can gently caress right off. What a oval office.