Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
So I bought Neuropath yesterday and read the whole thing in a day.

It's a pretty good horror thriller but way too much time is spent on Bakker shoving his nihilistic philosophy, via discussion of the story's MacGuffin, down your throat. I will say the guy is able to construct fairly horrific scenes and concepts that say with you after your literary adventure is over; I have spent most of today uneasy and disgusted.

This is the first Bakker book I've read - my brother loves the PoN novels, of which he has lent me the first; I think I'll continue down the rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

superh posted:

I must be a terrible person because I enjoyed neuropath too, as terribly bleak and nihilistic as it is. PoN is better though, give it a shot!

Oh I enjoyed it; I couldn't put it down. It was just a total mindfuck, is all, and left me kind of depressed.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Cardiac posted:

The reason for reading Bakker is the fantasy series, which are pretty amazing in scope and characters.
Giving a poo poo about an authors opinion will lead you down the wrong rabbit hole, as clearly evidenced by the recommendation thread.

As for Neuropath, it went a little bit too crazy in the end and as example, American Psycho left me far more disturbed.

I meant the rabbit hole as in "reading the rest of his books" not "giving a poo poo about, and exploring his opinion;" his philosophy and opinions are garbage imho.

I've been meaning to read PoN for a while now; I think I'll tackle it after I'm done with some cosmic horror stuff I'm reading.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, the argument pushed in Neuropath is a triviality. It's like listening to someone at a party try to blow your mind with the idea that morality is a human construct. Then he asks if you've heard of a world called 'Gor'

Blindsight is a much better book about the ramifications of monism.

Exactly. My problem with the ideas peddled in the book were that because our consciousness is partly or mostly composed of electrochemical processes, that can be mechanically subverted and augmented through outside intervention, it means human experience is meaningless, while the idea that the world has meaning because humans build meaning is off the table or at least never brought up.

It felt like Neil was an author insert and the grand purpose of the book was to say "dude you're just a bio computer, bro, as i have expertly proved through the fact that you can alter a person's identity through purposeful brain damage, so just kill yourself, k?"

Also, it's pretty much a long-form version, conceptually, of a Thomas Ligotti short story called "Purity."

Dystram fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 6, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

Reading that is just :psyduck:, not even solely in regards to Bakker but in terms of the SF community and the state of discourse generally.

It's exactly the sort of thing you think of when you imagine a false-flag op to discredit social justice movements, only it was run by an actual woman of color? :psyduck:

Benjanun Sriduangkaew sure is a stupid loving name.

• Locked thread