Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Disclaimer: This applies just as much to vim, I'm just posting it here since it's a relevant thread.

What makes these text editors better than an IDE? I guess I'm very "new-school" with how I program, but I wouldn't want to switch over to something that does not have autocomplete, method-lookups, auto-import and other niceties such as browsing project folders by the click of a mouse and copy-pasting code between files/projects. I get that they're more portable than an IDE, but I only have one workstation so that's not a very strong point to me. To me these text editors feel more like a cult in which members embrace an obsolete technology. I mean, haven't we since invented graphic displays and mice?

Pardon my ignorance, I honestly want to know what's great about these!

You can easily configure Vim and emacs to have autocomplete. I find moving between files and copy / pasting stuff 500x easier in Vim than in the built in Visual Studio editor. The first thing I do with a fresh Visual Studio install is install VSVim.

These tools are not at all obsolete. In many respects, they are far superior to IDE-based tools.

Note: I am reading this thread to learn about emacs as I am utterly inexperienced with it, hence speaking of Vim above.

e: to summarize what I like about Vim in one quick bite: Every time you use a mouse you're wasting time, and Vim is optimized to never require touching your mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006
Is there any facility in emacs (either built in, or through scripting) for comment-aware search? I tried to find that functionality in Vim, and I found some scripts that people had written... didn't work too well. That might be something that would really spur me to use emacs

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006
I want to be able to search through files using arbitrary regexes, but I want to exclude comments from the search. I also want to be able to search ONLY inside comments, and exclude code. Ideally this would be aware of any style of comment, based on the file extension

code:

C-style /* this is a comment */
C++-style //this is a comment
Python style #this is a comment
Python doc-string style '''this is a comment'''
VB style 'this is a comment
MATLAB style %this is a comment

That kind of thing.

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

h_double posted:

Those keybindings are pretty universal in Unix-type operating systems (they work in bash too), and OSX is basically BSD Unix under the hood.

A little off topic, and you might already know this, but you can configure bash to work in Vi mode with $ set -o vi -- you can change it back with $ set -o emacs, so the keybindings are definitely emacs inspired, at least in the case of bash.

• Locked thread