Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Disclaimer: This applies just as much to vim, I'm just posting it here since it's a relevant thread.

What makes these text editors better than an IDE? I guess I'm very "new-school" with how I program, but I wouldn't want to switch over to something that does not have autocomplete, method-lookups, auto-import and other niceties such as browsing project folders by the click of a mouse and copy-pasting code between files/projects. I get that they're more portable than an IDE, but I only have one workstation so that's not a very strong point to me. To me these text editors feel more like a cult in which members embrace an obsolete technology. I mean, haven't we since invented graphic displays and mice?

Pardon my ignorance, I honestly want to know what's great about these!

For a lot of people, being able to never leave the keyboard for anything increases their development speed. VI/VIM and Emacs are both, in a lot of cases, available everywhere, and can be pretty easily put onto headless servers - making code editing on remote machines tons easier than using an IDE. Also, at least for me, I love that I can drop to a command line at any time by just a few keystrokes as well.

I honestly don't know anything about Emacs besides a general idea how key combinations work, since I've used tiling window managers in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread