Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What I did was add my Dropbox emacs folder to the list of home directories. I have my config in there which is tangled elisp and orgmode in a structured document. It uses use-package to keep the plugins synced between my home and work machines. If you want I will pastebin my .emacs file so you can see how that works.

On each PC (Win10/Linux at home, Win7 at work) I have emacs in the default path. I start it up, it assembles itself and loads all the necessary stuff. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bigperm posted:

Please pastebin your .emacs but be forewarned I am going to have questions because not all of that made sense to me. I will try my best to work it out first though.

No problem. I'm a relative beginner myself, and the settings file is commented but I'll answer questions where/whenever possible after posting.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

changelog posted:

code:
New input methods: 'tamil-dvorak'
:stare:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bigperm posted:

Please pastebin your .emacs but be forewarned I am going to have questions because not all of that made sense to me. I will try my best to work it out first though.

https://github.com/neonnoodle/emacs_crap

So there are 2 files in there. The init.el lives in the Appdata folder but it has very little in it -- all it does is point Emacs to the REAL setup file which lives in Dropbox. That file is settings.org. When Emacs gets a hold of that file, it executes the elisp inside it. The extra org formatting stuff is essentially just elaborate code commenting and outlining to make it easier to browse through and move stuff around. It's also easy to enable/disable aspects of the setup by removing the org-babel markup from around the elisp.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I just set up company mode for prose editing. Dear God, I wish I had had emacs when I was an audio transcriptionist. :stare:

If I ever do transcription again, it's gonna be 100% emacs. I used to use LibreOffice Writer because it supports word auto completion, but it's so awful in so many other ways. Emacs, ispell, company, markdown, pandoc. Boom, done.

• Locked thread