Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a way to cycle through the places where you changed a file, after you've closed and reopened it? Basically I press a button and it keeps jumping to the positions I edited last time.

I've looked at goto-last-change, but when I apply it to a file I just opened, it switches to my deft-buffer. Which is weird, because I thought goto-last-change only applies to the current buffer, at least without flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

aerique posted:

The smart-rear end answer would be diff-hl and its diff-hl-next-hunk and diff-hl-previous-hunk commands.

Seriously, I'm not aware of a package that keeps this state around although it might not be too hard to add it to goto-last-change.

Yeah I thought about something with git... but whatevs. Not that tragic, would've been cool if there's already an implentation.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

For some reason deft on my Windows install doesn't word wrap properly

I've looked through .emacs, but the only thing I found was global visual line wrap, which I've disabled. Still it looks like this.

e: on Linux the dates are properly aligned, one column.

e: err ok I used a variable-width font, thought it was the same config as on Linux, but it wasn't.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Anyone know if it's possible to create a custom start-up view for org? I know about overview and content, but ideally I'd like to define a view that only shows e.g. the first two headline levels, while leaving everything else folded.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

yeah I was curious about elisp, and found a video of someone using it to write tic-tac-toe. pretty cool.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

When I left click a link in org that points to a headline (in the same document), it jumps to that headline, but also visually selects everything in-between (because evil, is my guess).

How do I change that behaviour, so it just jumps without selecting?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Anyone had a chance to look at the new org? I looked at the feature list, and half the updates were for things I didn't know existed in the first place. It's such a bottomless well of a user experience.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

https://github.com/vkazanov/toy-orgfuse

quote:

Orgfuse is a small Python utility allowing to mount org-mode files as FUSE filesystems.

Long story short: the outline tree becomes a tree of directories, text sections become files within the directory tree, etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Nude posted:

So new to emacs here, but I really like the idea that it pitches. I'm kind of curious if emacs could support this pipe-dream I've had. Which is a workspace that acts like a "library" or "database". By that I mean I have a collection of books/images that I use for reference, for example an anatomy book, or an image that focuses on lips, and I been searching for a program that would support this. The essential feature I need is to be able to grab a group of items based on some key term, and be able to log info about the book/image.

So I've stumble across org-mode that seems to support all of this, and more. I suppose my question is should I be using emacs for this kind of thing? The only reason why I'm doubting org-mode is because I need way more then 26 tags, (or perhaps I'm using org mode wrong) because ideally would wanna search for stuff like "Book" + "Anatomy", or "3/4" + "Head", "Building" + "Sky" + "People", "Landscape" + "Painting", etc. So I end up tagging one image like so:

* Random City Photo :Building:People:City:Sunset:Orange:Ocean:Store:

Which kind of looks ugly. But maybe I just need to customize this file in a certain way to hide tags or something. Also I would just like to hear some first hand experience on emacs file browser support, do you guys like using it, can it replace Apple's in terms of speed/searching? Just need a little push I guess to continue on this journey haha. Not trying to request a tutorial/how to do this in emacs more just asking your opinion if emacs seems like the ideal workspace for this stuff.

look into creating custom properties? http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-syntax.html#Property-syntax

also re: emacs file browser - there are a couple of addons that turn dired into midnight commander or ranger, but I'm not really happy with them and usually try to avoid using it. I usually just use helm-swoop or silver searcher for helm to swipe files for strings.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Hollow Talk posted:

Lots of people probably just rebind CAPSLOCK as their ESC key, which is a lot more convenient.

Of course, serious users use CAPSLOCK as Hyper key for their tiling window manager in order to not clash with their myriad of Emacs keybindings. :v:

yeah I'm using a model m for a month now, and this is the first thing I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Beef posted:

I used rescuetime to ... rescue my PhD thesis writing. You would be surprised how many unproductive hours you spend online on a given work day.

I think it's wrong to see this as "wasted" or "unproductive". I need it to deflate, otherwise my mind would go boom. But depends if you can't control it, or use it to evade work. I guess.

• Locked thread