Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Okay, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask this question, since it's emacs related.

I'm using Aquamacs on OS X 10.5 and I'm trying to set stuff up like this guy for Python + emacs. Most of the stuff worked fine (I think I ran into issues with just ipdb which is probably another question entirely) and I skipped a few of the config steps for now (like I didn't bother installing the python documentation locally). However, I'm not getting IPython to work at all. Whenever I bring up the py-shell it displays the Python 2.5 shell which is the last thing I want. IPython works when I launch it in Terminal and seems to be installed fine to work with Python 3 but for some reason it won't come up in Aquamacs. Both python-mode.el and ipython.el are in my load-path.. I'm not sure what else to try.

Any ideas? Need more info to help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep playing around with 6.0.3 then, as I was using 6.0.2 before.

edit: well that backfired. now I can't get any shell to come up.

etcetera08 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 7, 2011

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Fren posted:

Let me know what version of Emacs, python, python-mode, and ipython you're running, and the results of (getenv "PATH") and (getenv "PYTHONPATH"). If you're receiving an error, evaluate (setq debug-on-error t) and then provide the traceback produced by trying to open a shell. If you've been swapping out libraries live, you may need to restart Emacs. I've found unload-feature doesn't take care of all the crap that python-mode creates (I'm not even sure I'm meant to use unload-feature in that way :()

Emacs: GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (Aquamacs on OS X)
python: Attempting to use Python 3.2.1, but also have Python 2.5.1 installed, which is the py-shell that comes up when I'm using python-mode 6.0.2. When I use python-mode 6.0.3 I get an error from (C-c !). ('Symbol's value as variable is void: py-python-command')
python-mode: Described above, tried 6.0.2 and 6.0.3. Restarted Emacs completely when switching out so that shouldn't have been the issue.
IPython: 0.11 with Python 3.

I, um, don't know how to get the results of (getenv "PATH") and (getenv "PYTHONPATH").. :smith:

edit: got some help in IRC.
"PATH": /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin
"PYTHONPATH": gives me No Match with 6.0.3 or 6.0.2

etcetera08 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 7, 2011

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

pgroce posted:

I also use the emacsformacosx builds and have no problems.

As do I. Much better than Aquamacs, which I tried to use when this thread began.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Fren posted:

How do you make it look soooo pretty? I think a decent portion of the reason I haven't learned emacs as well as I should is because I'm repelled by its aesthetics out of the box.. :downs: but yours.. yours is gorgeous.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Fren posted:

Not sure what the font I'm using at work is, but at home I use Apple's Menlo font. The color theme above is solarized dark.

I'm working, very slowly, on a sort of Practical Emacs text that will help people use Emacs effectively out of the box. Appearance is obviously a huge part of that, and Emacs's font-face system is ridiculously sophisticated. For my gopher mode I made it a point to tweak line height, spacing, and margins for a comfortable reading experience.

I will have to mess around a bit more when I get a chance. I think I had solarized running on Aquamacs at some point last year.

Speaking of learning Emacs, though, how do you feel about icicles? I installed it but haven't spent any time with it.

Also, is AutoInstall supposed to update my .emacs? I only see it downloading the proper .el files but not doing anything else.

EDIT: I guess I should ask this: In general, how should I be installing packages? I see there are some package managers?

etcetera08 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 14, 2012

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Fren posted:

I'm afraid I've never used Icicles. I would love to hear someone's opinion on it.

AutoInstall does not update your Emacs. When you require it, all it does is basically add a directory to your load-path. That directory is where all your AutoInstalled poo poo gets downloaded to. You'll need to manually add the requires you want to your .emacs.

In response to your edit: Use Emacs 24 and AutoInstall. There's more sophisticated poo poo like el-get that can go so far as to install the proper OS-level dependencies (Debian packages, what-have-you) for your Emacs setup, but I find that to be overkill. Emacs 24's packages for the heavy things, AutoInstall for the lightweight (single-file-type) things, and very occasionally you have to get your hands dirty byte-compiling things manually (auctex, w3m) but those are the rare cases.

Oh, wow, somehow I completely missed that feature in Emacs 24. I also didn't even have 24 until now. Cool. thanks a ton. I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions in the future.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Fren posted:

In response to your edit: Use Emacs 24 and AutoInstall. There's more sophisticated poo poo like el-get that can go so far as to install the proper OS-level dependencies (Debian packages, what-have-you) for your Emacs setup, but I find that to be overkill. Emacs 24's packages for the heavy things, AutoInstall for the lightweight (single-file-type) things, and very occasionally you have to get your hands dirty byte-compiling things manually (auctex, w3m) but those are the rare cases.

I've been having success playing with these. Did this and now have a buncha packages with ease. Pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

h_double posted:

Well, yes and no. The first public release of GNU Emacs was a few months after the Macintosh and DRI's GEM windowing system (and before those there was Xerox PARC and the Apple Lisa). I don't know when split-screen was added to Emacs, but for a long time it was a reasonable supposition that most people were using the editor on a TTY, and so calling the subscreens "windows" made sense. But GNU Emacs didn't add support for multiple frames (under X) until 1994, and by that time X workstations (and GUI OS on home computers) were common enough that it would have been sensible to rethink the terminology. I can't imagine it would involve a lot of code change, and there could always be an enable-legacy-window-mode variable so as not to break preexisting scripts.

I don't really blame any single individual of course and it's not a huge deal, but it just feels like something which unnecessarily requires clarification and a mini context switch even when talking to other people who are emacs-literate.

It's still common terminology in other programs that don't use "windows" like you're thinking of them too (irssi comes to mind immediately). It's sort of annoying, but it's not unprecedented for emacs.

• Locked thread