Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Disclaimer: This applies just as much to vim, I'm just posting it here since it's a relevant thread.

What makes these text editors better than an IDE? I guess I'm very "new-school" with how I program, but I wouldn't want to switch over to something that does not have autocomplete, method-lookups, auto-import and other niceties such as browsing project folders by the click of a mouse and copy-pasting code between files/projects. I get that they're more portable than an IDE, but I only have one workstation so that's not a very strong point to me. To me these text editors feel more like a cult in which members embrace an obsolete technology. I mean, haven't we since invented graphic displays and mice?

Pardon my ignorance, I honestly want to know what's great about these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

You will also be disadvantaged if you're using a language that has terrible deficiencies that can only be overcome by tools.

I mostly program in Java using Netbeans :downsgun:

Another question; I've never actually tried emacs, though I've dabbled in vim. Are there any good* reasons why emacs is better? As I said I mostly program in Java, though I also use Python frequently. I get from what you've said that emacs is good for Python? Also important: colorschemes. Need me some nice zenburnish colors.

*For my use

e: I'm one of those people who program in Java using an IDE on Windows. Should I even bother with stuff like vim and emacs?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 2, 2011

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered another very relevant question to this thread; One thing that has hindered me in getting to learn these editors in the past has been keyboard layout. They seem, as many old/ancient computer technologies, very US-centric. I'm using a Norwegian keyboard which has pretty much none of the symbols in the same places as the American keyboards which makes some key combinations very awkward (such as brackets being shift-8/shift-9). Is there any way to make this more international-friendly?

• Locked thread