Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Emacs is great if all you want is to play a lovely tetris game, run a lovely IRC client, and work in a lovely IDE. MS Visual C++ is way better for developing C/C++/C# apps than Emacs is.

Good things about Emacs: it has modes for obscure programming language indentations that no other editor has. It is probably the best editor for Haskell. It is a better general purpose text editor than anything else (for small files). It has a better interface for choosing your file from a directory than anything else. You can configure the gently caress out of it. You can write programs that access the internet with it. It's pretty good for opening PDFs and PNGs. You can get rid of the scroll bar and menu bar and poo poo gets out of your way. I used to have a Hacker News emacs mode as a toy. I think others exist for the same purpose. You can use it on Windows.

Weird things about Emacs: When it tries to do I/O and gets EINTR, it reports this fact back to the user. It's better for Dvorak users than Qwerty users. Here is my dot-emacs file: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440468&pagenumber=1#post396103655

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

I assume by small you mean less than several copies of War and Peace in size?

No, by small I mean smaller than a typical log file.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

I don't find any problems under 10M and anything under 100M is still usable. Once you get beyond that you're pushing it though. I don't edit my logs that often though and when you get up to GB log files you should probably not be trying to read them by hand.

So much for the power of incremental search.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Brackets are shift--/shift-= on my keyboard layout, and I deliberately switched to it away from Qwerty.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

But, if you have a Kinesis all other keyboards become like empty husks of typing misery.

I see you and raise you to Topre keyswitches.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

xf86enodev posted:

Hej guys, just wanted to throw this out there (nice thread title btw),
but how have your (future) employer's reactions to using emacs have been?

I imagine strange looks at the least, or maybe a "what's emacs?"

Why I care is, I'm looking for a new job and all appropriate offerings list some of "eclipse knowledge", "vs knowledge"...

How do I explain to employers I do emacs and emacs does all I need?

I've been using emacs everywhere I worked at so far, but it also never came up in interviews so far... So my choice of action would be to dodge the question and just let the IT guys know later, since that's what I've done so far. (IT's been always sort of "understanding" in letting me do whatever)

But what if? How'd you go about telling mgmt you'd rather use emacs than vs?

????

At my current employer his reaction was "oh good, you're not one of those vi users" (who were in the majority).

At my previous employer most of us used VS for most work (it was C#) but my boss used Emacs.

What do IT guys have to do with anything?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Kim Jong III posted:

:respek:

I knew there was a way... thanks, this will save me from pain and suffering tomorrow.

I'm more a fan of (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t), but that's because my coworkers are the ones adding it from time to time and I don't want to muck up the codebase with merge conflicts.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I thought it inserted tab characters, not spaces, by default.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I mean it'll still magically indent C and C++ by default, with two space indentation or 2+2=4 GNU indentation. But when it gets up to 8 or more spaces you start getting tabs instead of spaces. It doesn't just indent code with a tab character per indentation level or anything sane.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Edit: Okay so anyway a real comment, perhaps.

Make the header files named with .hpp instead of .h.

Or: put those little file-mode things in the header in a comment.

Or: make emacs look for a foo.c and foo.cpp file when opening a .h to figure out what kind it is.

Or: make emacs search for "class" or other C++ keywords or C++ headers. I don't know.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I've met him in person at a meetup, he's a nice guy as far as I can tell.

• Locked thread