Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Now set up mu4e. Many people say web-interfaces for email are better but I respectfully disagree. If you have the time afterwards look at the calculator and the calendar.

It's nice isn't it. My emacs usage over the years had a very positive influence regarding the keeping of notes, journal entries and other organizational bonuses. I think I can say in all honesty that it improved my life in a way. There are of course a lot more modern and fancy-looking tools to do all that but emacs has everything and the kitchen sink and most of all, it's very easy to adapt to how you want it to do things while keeping it simple. (yes, it really is if you are past the learning curve and emacs-specific oddities) I even use emacs for some hobby C# development, omnisharp is very nice.

Here's a hint - make a cheat-sheet for most common stuff you want to do and leave it in a buffer that's always open and expand it if you feel like it. Of course you can always look everything up in google or in the documentation but in my experience, a self-made cheat sheet especially for the things you have problems with memorizing speeds things up and also helps with the learning process a lot more than just looking it up again and again. It also makes a lot of sense to just gloss over the various documentation, pick the things you think are usable for you and just.. well use them. For a lot of stuff even in org mode you might never have a use, it's no crime to ignore it then. That's the beauty of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread