Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

A while back I bought the Learning GNU Emacs book and only half-heartedly got into it but was side-tracked with irl obligations. Now that I have more free time, I've spent the past couple days getting back into doing programming stuff and going through the Emacs book very slowly.

I'm about 20% of the way through it now and I had my "oh poo poo this is awesome" moment a little while ago when I learned how to do C-x 2, C-x 3, C-x o, C-x 0. Twenty minutes later, I realized I haven't touched the mouse in forever. It's a good feeling.

edit--It's like from that Will Ferrell Brothers movie or whatever, where they make the bunk bed and are like "oh man, there's so much room now for... activities."

Yeah, I still consider myself an emacs amateur after a year of use, but even basic things like buffer control make you feel powerful. I discovered C-x h + TAB the other day for indenting my C source files and my life hasn't been the same since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread