Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any decent videos/screencasts out there by emacs masters that are just doing their thing and maybe explaining some of the features they use?

The Peepcode Play by Plays are the type of thing I'm talking about. I have the one with Jim Weirich and it was fun watching him work and chat about some of the emacs features he uses. There may have been other Play by Plays where they used emacs but I obviously can't go there anymore.

Does that type of content exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, they are pretty great! I watched the first few and plan to go through the rest.

Is he not creating any more? The last video was 5 months ago and the last "episode" was a year ago.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I have the whitespace-style "lines-tail" option on so it highlights when I columns exceed X characters. I like it when I'm writing code, but it's super annoying when I'm in my personal org-mode files, especially since I use tables a whole bunch.

I've had to turn the option off for now, but is there a way I can have it on all the time except when in org-mode?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

pgroce posted:

Beaten, but just for completeness:

Lisp code:
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 
          (lambda () 
            (set (make-local-variable 'whitespace-style) 
                 (remove 'lines-tail whitespace-style))))

Awesome, thank you both, that did it!

I really should learn (emacs) lisp at some point, it's just so drat foreign compared to what I already know.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Cool for the dozen folks that use emacs as their WM.

(Comment mostly in jest. Sort of hopeful this can be used to render HTML emails in the future...)

• Locked thread