Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I tried emacs on osx and there was this enormous toolbar that I couldn't hide. How do you not have that thing?

Also the fonts were all gross and the method of configuring them was a thousand times harder than it needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

In gnu emacs on Windows 7, alt-space doesn't bring up the window menu. Can I fix this?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Hmm. I think I'll have to make my own alt-space,m keybind to minimize the window.

emacs is great and all, but there are so many cases where the most basic poo poo is just plain broken. Every time I try it, I seem to hit all of these issues before being able to get anything useful done.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'm feeling a bit retarded. How do I get emacs to know about all of the files in our projects? They consist of our own special jam-based build system, which also generates visual studio .sln files. Edit: Seems like I'd have to cobble something together and use some existing management system. This sounds very difficult.

Edit again: I know undo is supposed to be different, but I can't get it to undo more than the last thing that I did. It just keeps undoing/redoing the last command. I can't get back to a state earlier than that. Edit again: I have no idea what was happening but it is working now.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 18, 2011

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'm trying to use eshell, and:

code:
d:/dev-m2/main $ git pull --rebase
ssh: avagit: no address associated with name
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
This just works from a regular command prompt. Usually this is because ssh isn't happy with some environment variables. Why would the environment here be any different here? How can I even begin to solve this problem?

I'm completely fine with the fact that shell ansi colors just don't work, even though everything I've read indicates that they should.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 1, 2011

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Is there a way to swap the command and control keys in OSX for emacs only?

Also, I don't really understand why anybody would caps lock as control. I use caps lock a lot (people don't?) Most of the control combinations are on the left hand. I'd like to make stuff like C-x C-s easier.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

The purpose is to use emacs in the same way that I do on Windows 7 at work, so that won't really help me.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

How do I pare down the search path of a find-grep-dired (or whatever other function that might do the same thing) so that it will not take literally hours?

I have two specific folders I want to look in that have a common base, but I want to avoid searching everything else under that base. I also only need to search headers.

For example, I want to search both of these patterns:

d:/dev/project/highlevel/code/*.h
d:/dev/project/lowlevel/code/*.h

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I guess there is something wrong with my stuff because grep exits abnormally before finding everything. Oh well!

-----

I'm feeling pretty let down by these tools so far. As hard as I try, I have yet to accomplish any work. Where are the supposed productivity gains?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Fren posted:

If you could be a bit more specific about what it is you're trying to do, maybe we can help.

I am just trying to do a simple search and replace across an entire project, which will probably touch about 100 files. This takes seconds in Visual Studio, because it has everything indexed. Emacs has no concept of where my source code is (another issue I'd like to fix), and so it winds up searching through a bunch of unrelated stuff, taking hours to do.

If the issue was urgent then I'd just do it with Visual Studio.

Maybe first I need to figure out how to get an EDE project set up. I assume that once I have one, then emacs will index everything in it and I can search/replace throughout the project easily.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Apparently I'm searching through 300,000 files, which is why it doesn't get anywhere.

I'm trying to reproduce what was happening before, but it appears to be working now. Oh well. I can certainly just manually run this search multiple times in various locations, but that really isn't reasonable for actually getting work done.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Ok. What you are saying makes sense. I asked some of the other guys here if they had worked on getting tags set up for our projects, but nobody had. I played with etags for a bit and was not impressed. One of the guys suggested looking into gnu global, which seems to be a lot smarter, so I'll probably do that.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I have a question about org mode.

Is this possible?

code:
* level one

level one contents

** level two

level two contents

more level one contents.
It appears that you can't "go back" a level in the middle of a section. Is it not possible?

Edit: I guess I should expect the answer to be "why would you want to do that?"

I want to paste something huge like a callstack into my notes, and be able to collapse it. But I don't want to collapse notes after the callstack.

code:
* level one

some notes

** a huge callstack...
 ** another huge callstack...

more notes in level one that I don't want to be collapsed with the previous callstack.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 13, 2012

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

What does that look like?

code:
* collapse test

here is some contents

- hidden stuff 1
  stuff

- hidden stuff 2
  stuff 2

i don't want this to collapse with hidden stuff 2, but it does.
It says the list is supposed to end when the indented section ends, but this example doesn't work.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

What I pasted isn't indented because I'm using org-indent-mode. I turned that off and it still doesn't work.

I guess I need to update because I'm on 6.33x.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I don't know about Fren's setup, but I use color-theme. It has a lot of presets. I remember them all being fairly bad so I had to modify one to create my own, which hasn't gone very well so far. I also changed the default font to Consolas.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I had already posted that I'm using org-indent-mode.

I'm trying to update org mode. These instructions http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-elpa aren't very specific. Where do I put this package.el? I put it into my .emacs.el folder and it did not work.

I also tried to install ELPA, which went fine... but apparently there are two different things called ELPA and I installed the wrong one. I guess http://elpa.gnu.org/ this is what I want, but there aren't any installation instructions there.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'm going to guess that Emacs windows were invented before desktop windows.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

How do I paste arbitrary text into org mode without it freaking out?

I.E. text that may have lines beginning with #, *, or |.

I figure I want some kind of "unformatted" block, but that isn't getting me anywhere.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

How do I prevent ctrl-backspace from clobbering the clipboard? Every time I correct a typo I lose my clipboard.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I am still using emacs because I haven't found a replacement for orgmode yet.. I wonder if I should completely start again, though.

Is there a package that makes emacs behave like a decent modern program? I still have all of these problems:

- I am still manually resizing the window every time I open it.
- I am still manually opening all of my files because emacs doesn't remember which files I had open.

Those issues are really just the tip of the iceberg. Any modern program just does those things automatically because it isn't 1983.

Edit: I found ErgoEmacs after posting. I think I'll try it out.

Edit 2: Nevermind, that thing sucks.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 22, 2014

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Deus Rex posted:

You can set a default frame size by customizing default-frame-alist. Good SO answer here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/94277/692055

As for remembering open files, I personally keep an emacs process running all the time with a server, and connect to it with emacsclient if I need to open something from the command line. Emacs also ships with desktop-save-mode which persists a list of open buffers when you close Emacs.

You could also look at something like projectile for switching to a 'project', opening files/buffers from that project, and closing all their buffers all very quickly.

I suppose I could spend time doing these things and maybe even have success but I wonder when emacs is supposed to start working for me instead of the other way around...

Anyway, does emacs have something like Sublime Text's command palette? I am simply trying to search for a command. Actually I'm trying to figure out how to sort my todo list in org mode... but I don't see why this simple task should require a google search. Also all references that I can find only give me the shortcut key which I will never remember. I want the actual command name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Zombywuf posted:

Well if you're talking about within emacs you have access to your clipboard history, C-y will paste the clipboard contents, M-y will replace that with the previous contents. Repeated M-y will cycle through the history.

Ok but my windows clipboard is still wiped out. I don't even want that functionality.. I just want ctrl-backspace to delete a word.

• Locked thread