Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
e: f, b.

Beef posted:

Any changes that will make me more productive? I've got a deadline on Thursday and I need to soothe my conscience that it will be worth the switch :)

Don't gently caress with switching editors three days before a deadline. That's daft.

Load it up on Friday and C-h t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Zombywuf posted:

I used to run Slackware. I've pretty much converted to "Give me package management or give me death." I could upgrade ubuntu but that runs into problems with my work machine being out of sync with the servers. Anyone know any good ppa's for emacs on Lucid?

You could always use Gentoo :smugdog:

Seriously though, couldn't you just fetch the latest org-mode and load that from .emacs? I've always wondered if that's a way to get around officially packaged but incredibly old Emacs modes.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

h_double posted:

:words:
I was never able to get 24 to build from source either :( Unfortunately I'm still trying to get used to where everything ends up when I want to build something.

For posterity, I use the DMGs found here:
http://emacsformacosx.com/builds
they are nice

And as an FYI, you don't need color-themes in emacs 24; everything is built in.
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2010/12/color-theming-with-emacs-24.html

ps solarize sucks zenburn ftw ;)

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Fren posted:

If you're having trouble building Emacs 24 from source, you may want to give homebrew a try. I've never once had an issue getting it built that way. Not sure if the builds on emacsformacosx.com add any silly crap to them like Aquamacs, and they may not include Lion fullscreen.

AFAIK they're pretty clean builds. I guess the --HEAD flag to brew builds the latest? I'm going to try that.

Those builds don't include Lion fullscreen but let's be honest Lion fullscreen pretty much sucks anyway, so,

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone have experience with using emacs for Ruby development? Most of the Ruby people I know are vim users, and the EmacsWiki is kinda short on details.

Currently I have inf-ruby and rvm.el which work nicely together. I used this gist to get Pry running & turned off its pager. Right now it doesn't tab complete (throws a Ruby error) but I don't care.

Anything I'm missing? Anything I should check out? FWIW I'm doing Ruby, not RoR.

And a bonus question - something that I've wondered how to do forever. Say I have a list of numbers:

foo = test[1]
bar = test[2]
baz = test[3]

What if I want to increment each of those numbers by, say, 2? My initial thought is to create a macro to find each numeric value, but then I get stumped on how to read it in & increment. Any tips on what I should look at?

This is one of those manipulations I find myself manually whacking quite often, so I'd love to know how to do it better.

edit: ^^^ well lookit, that's pretty drat close to what I'm looking for. Going to play with that now, thanks!

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 20, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Fren, thanks a million for the Bitlbee reference. That was seriously the chat program I've always wanted.

I've got a question on window management in Emacs. Two or three times in the past day I've ended up in this annoying situation where I have my frame vertically split into a few windows, and I want to add a horizontal split to the frame. So like this:

code:
+-----+     +---+-+
|-----|     |---| |
|     |  -> |   | |
|-----|     |---| |
|     |     |   | |
+-----+     +---+-+
Is there a way to tell emacs "hey I don't want to split any of those three windows, split at the root"? Alternatively, is there any way to split each of the three windows horizontally then combine the windows together into one horizontal split?

The only thing I've been able to do so far is to go down to one window and rebuild up, starting with the horizontal split, which really bugs me.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Soricidus posted:

I don't think this is built in, but it's a trivial function to write.
code:
(defun split-all-windows-right ()
  (interactive)
  (split-window (frame-root-window) nil t))
(Note that this doesn't do everything split-window-right does; fully imitating that function is left as an exercise for the reader. Bonus credit: why can't we do (with-selected-window (frame-root-window) (split-window-right))?)

Oh man thanks for the hint, I've wanted to start learning elisp and this looks like a good function to start with :3:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

xf86enodev posted:

Hej guys, just wanted to throw this out there (nice thread title btw),
but how have your (future) employer's reactions to using emacs have been?

I imagine strange looks at the least, or maybe a "what's emacs?"

Why I care is, I'm looking for a new job and all appropriate offerings list some of "eclipse knowledge", "vs knowledge"...

How do I explain to employers I do emacs and emacs does all I need?

I've been using emacs everywhere I worked at so far, but it also never came up in interviews so far... So my choice of action would be to dodge the question and just let the IT guys know later, since that's what I've done so far. (IT's been always sort of "understanding" in letting me do whatever)

But what if? How'd you go about telling mgmt you'd rather use emacs than vs?

"Vim or emacs" was an interview question at my latest job. The team lead said he didn't really care which one I answered, just that I didn't say nano :downs:

I guess it really depends on what kind of job you are interviewing for. Everyone's been cool with emacs at all of my jobs, but I've also lived in a comfortable bubble of Python and Ruby. I could see why management would expect you to know Visual Studio if you were applying for a C# job.

But more importantly, all the places I've worked so far understand that good developers spend time learning & customizing their tools -- their editor, their OS, whatever -- and they wouldn't dare forbid people from using what they know & are good at.

Ask in your interview what their policies look like. If they're going to be issuing edicts on what editor programers can use, their culture is pretty screwed up, and you should look elsewhere.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Is there a way to make emacs automagically strip out extra whitespace at the end of lines, or to convert any whitespace-only lines to a single \n?

My team lead is yelling at me to strip trailing whitespace because it makes diffs noisy. After going around and around with him, it appears that he has his vim set to s/\w*$// on save or something -- so my changes don't make diffs noisy, but as soon as he opens something I wrote and saves it the world catches on fire.

I'm trying to say "diff -w is your friend" but I'm not sure this is a battle I'm going to win :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Police Academy III posted:

code:

(push 'delete-trailing-whitespace before-save-hook)

:respek:

I knew there was a way... thanks, this will save me from pain and suffering tomorrow.

• Locked thread