Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Having an echo chamber about how sexy Emacs is itt is great and all, but how am I supposed to learn how to implement all of these features that you guys are circlejerking over? Shouldn't that be the purpose of this thread?

I installed Emacs a long time ago and I see you guys talking about how you've all customized it by binding buttons to functions, tricking it out so it's cooler than VS, et cetera... but I don't see anything about how to do that stuff for myself. I just see a bunch of guys circlejerking itt.

But then again maybe I'm just illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
A while back I bought the Learning GNU Emacs book and only half-heartedly got into it but was side-tracked with irl obligations. Now that I have more free time, I've spent the past couple days getting back into doing programming stuff and going through the Emacs book very slowly.

I'm about 20% of the way through it now and I had my "oh poo poo this is awesome" moment a little while ago when I learned how to do C-x 2, C-x 3, C-x o, C-x 0. Twenty minutes later, I realized I haven't touched the mouse in forever. It's a good feeling.

edit--It's like from that Will Ferrell Brothers movie or whatever, where they make the bunk bed and are like "oh man, there's so much room now for... activities."

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 8, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I recently learned how to do the most basic M-x org-mode stuff like C-c C-t so I've been using it to keep a basic to-do list with learning the Unreal Engine. I thought it might be cool to post a picture here since this thread isn't very active and could use more content.

The more I learn about this Emacs stuff, the more I like it. I really love how it lets me never have to reach for my mouse anymore. I've actually gotten to the point now where regardless of what text editor I'm in (e.g. notepad++, lua, VS) I always do C-x C-s out of habit and automatically do C-s C-g whenever I catch myself accidentally doing it the old way.

The manual for org-mode on their website is too intimidating even though each page seems to just be a couple paragraphs. Hopefully one day I'll get the inspiration to grind through it and learn how to do the more cool stuff like make exportable HTML tables and whatnot.

edit-- i also learned about M-x doctor and M-x tetris recently. emacs is cool as poo poo.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 19, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I just discovered Conkeror and I can feel myself falling ever deeper down the rabbit hole of emacs. It's like Firefox but Emacs.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I remember reading once that Jobs was an Emacs person, that's probably why

• Locked thread