Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Hollow Talk posted:

This is pretty much the correct answer. Use something like git (or svn or some such), put your config in there, and use something like github, bitbucket (they offer free private repositories) or a server you own to push your configuration. Then clone the repository on your other system, and there you go. The only thing you have to be a bit careful with is to put architecture/OS specific things in there without any kind of test, if-statement etc., since that might break one system while happily working on the other.

You can have a snippet like this to keep local configuration (e.g. secrets, OS specific stuff) to a machine. I do this so that I can always keep the rest of the config public.

code:
(let ((local-file "~/.emacs.d/init-local.el"))
  (if (file-exists-p local-file)
      (load local-file)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

mike12345 posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to create a custom start-up view for org? I know about overview and content, but ideally I'd like to define a view that only shows e.g. the first two headline levels, while leaving everything else folded.

If you can write an Elisp function that does that you could add it to the startup hooks for org-mode, that's generally the way to set startup settings for modes that aren't part of the config.

edit: look at me replying to posts from old tabs

• Locked thread