Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I recently watched some youtube videos about emacs and became enamored with org mode and am trying to figure it all out now and there are a few hurdles I can't seem to overcome.

First, I am on windows 7 and emacs uses %appdata% for the .emacs file and... home directory. This is driving me crazy because I think there is a disconnect between what windows considers 'user space' and what emacs wants is totally different and I can't seem to wrap my head around what I need to do. I know I can change where the home directory is - but where should it be and what needs to be there? Does the actual emacs program (/bin and all that) need to be there too?

I (think) I installed a minor mode (darkroom) and yet M-x darkroom-mode gives me a 'not found' error. I can't get flyspell to work either.

Basically, I need to know where to put stuff so I can find it. Should I just make a c:\emac\ and put everything there? Or in dropbox (where I want to actually write/save the files I want to work on?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Please pastebin your .emacs but be forewarned I am going to have questions because not all of that made sense to me. I will try my best to work it out first though.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I think I'm giving up on emacs.

I installed the darkroom extension from within emacs... it says it's installed but when I do M-x darkroom-mode I get 'not found'.

Then added the stuff for MELPA to my .emacs and when I M-x packages-list-packages I just get 'failed to download melpa'.

Am I missing something fundamental or am I just not smart enough to do this? I assume it's both.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
It's literally the default .emacs with the MELPA stuff pasted in.

code:
;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,
;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.
;; You may delete these explanatory comments.
(require 'package) ;; You might already have this line
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
(when (< emacs-major-version 24)
  ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
(package-initialize)

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 '(ansi-color-faces-vector
   [default default default italic underline success warning error])
 '(ansi-color-names-vector
   ["#212526" "#ff4b4b" "#b4fa70" "#fce94f" "#729fcf" "#e090d7" "#8cc4ff" "#eeeeec"])
 '(custom-enabled-themes (quote (wheatgrass)))
 '(package-selected-packages (quote (darkroom))))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 )

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Ok, thanks. That worked. I installed olivetti-mode, which was a must have for me and it actually works. Amazing. Darkroom-mode still doesn't work but I think I can work around that.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I'm on 25.1 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Thanks Neonnoodle again for posting your setup. I mostly got it working the way I want now. I have a few keys to bind yet but I figure that will be an ongoing thing anyway.

I think I almost have the TLS thing figured out too... I am using the 64bit version of 25.1 on Windows and it needs DLLs to do all that. The ones I tried (I just found out) were the 32bit versions and they of course don't work. If I can get that running then I will have the same emacs set up on my laptop (xubuntu) and my Win 7 desktop.

I also found that setting scroll-margin to a non nil (I used 20) keeps you from writing at the bottom of the screen all the time. Very useful if like me you despise that.

• Locked thread