Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
OK so, I'm about 4 days into using evil and I like it but it feels like the model I use to manage buffers doesn't really work with emacs.

Basically, I rebind shift and left/right to move to the previous/next buffer. Then I use lots of splits and use up/down/left/right to navigate the splits. The problem is that emacs/helm makes tons and tons of buffers so rather than left/right navigating through the stuff i'm working on, it navigates through buffers that I can't even use because they're just storing something for helm.

I'm 100% sold on emacs otherwise but this is just killing me. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Perfect that sounds like what I want, I'll give it a shot.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bollig posted:

So now that we've had some time to digest Spacemacs, is there more of a consensus? I've personally gotten some pretty divided reviews, of the little reading on it I've been doing. A bit of background, I'm midway through my first year as a Computational Linguistics masters student, and I've spent the last 6 months shaking hands with VIM (I started with emacs, but after reading about the VIM keybindings, I went with that). But I now am a lot more interested in all the crazy poo poo that Emacs can do. Long story short, I want to keep the VIM keybindings (at least for text editing/coding) but want to do the emacs poo poo.

Right now I'm rolling Evil, but a lot of ex-VIM people say Spacemacs is good poo poo.

You guys seem a bit divided on it, from the reading I've done on the last 5 pages or so, but I'm willing to hear your input.

I'm really happy with it because I like vim but i wanted something more project oriented. I don' t have time to learn emacs but spacemacs had me up and running in no time.

I'm sure I'll eventually migrate away from spacemacs into my own thing, but if you're just trying to make the switch I definitely recommend it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

Why do you want to force emacs into vi keybindings? You'll get a subpar experience of both.

Just use emacs as Steele and Moon decreed, and all shall be good.

No just use spacemacs because it does a really good job of making emacs work with vim keybindings.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NickPlowswell posted:

I recently started using Emacs about a month ago before that I was using Vim and before that Sublime.

What's the prefered way of keeping things synchronized between installations?

I actively use both Windows and Linux. For now, I keep my .emacs.d folder stored on my second NTFS partition I keep all of my media on. On windows, I have a hardlink to it and another to my Dropbox folder and on Linux a symlink.

This seams robust enough, if I ever need my Emacs configuration elsewhere.

Source control, man. :cool:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
spacemacs layouts are really good and i cant believe i havent been using them. this is the tool i've been wanting since i started programming.

i dont really get or like how the project based layouts work so instead i just have a layout file associated ocaited with each project and then load/save that layout when i load the project

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
No, not layers. There's a spacemacs/layouts micro mode (leader-l) that lets you:
1) Assign perspectives (workspaces) to 1-9
2) Those workspaces operates on their own buffer lists, so you can prevent things from getting all mixed up in the global buffer
3) Save and persist the layouts between sessions.

So it's just a little window manager thing but it works really well and it's very easy and intuitive to use.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I've been watching random emacs / vim usage videos on youtube and I've had a bunch of "oh, whoa, that mode is awesome" moments. I don't tend to think of youtube for these kinds of things, so just a heads up to anyone else out there.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNa3axo40qM
:eyepop: 1:55

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is there a secret to using any of the built in terminals effectively? it's the only thing preventing me from moving to gui emacs, but it just cant offer me a terminal experience close to having a tmux split with emacs. unfortunately, the experience of using the built ins really sucks, and I almost feel like I'm missing something because they don't even get close to feeling productive for me.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pgroce posted:

Just to be clear: Are you using "terminal" the way the Emacs documentation does (to refer to various windowing environments Emacs runs in, like Windows or "NextStep"/Mac)? Or are you talking about terminal emulation in an Emacs instance? I'll assume you're talking about the first thing.

I'm phone posting right now, but I use GUI Emacs and prefer it to emacs in a console window. There's one single hook where all terminal customization is supposed to go, and you're supposed to figure out what you need from some combination of OS and window-system-specific variables, which is a giant pain in the rear end. I wrote some code to run window-system-specific hooks instead that I'll post when I get back to my computer.

Once you've figured that out, each window system has its own special-snowflake functions to customize the windows. This isn't as bad as you might think, because the window systems themselves (GTK? Windows? Mac?) are pretty different, so you probably don't want complete abstraction over them anyway. Some functions, though, are abstract, though, and...eh, it's a mess.

Like I said, I'll post some of the Elisp I've written to deal with it, and let you decide if you want to give a poo poo.

Sorry for being really unclear:

I ran emacs within a tmux pane inside of gnome-terminal. This allowed me to jump between emacs another tmux split, giving me a very nice terminal just one keystroke away from emacs.

I'd like to switch to the GUI version, running within a windowing environment, because as you've pointed out, it generally works better. But I really dislike the terminal emulators built into emacs.

Anyhow, all of this was meant to support an absolutely insane workflow that I'd slowly built myself into, so I've done the sane thing and removed all the bizarre constraints from my environment and now I don't have a problem.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Neon Noodle posted:

Well they got rid of the Escape key on the new Macbook so gently caress vi, obviously.

yeah it doesn't matter, every serious vim user rebinds escape, ctrl, etc, to better things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

What serious vim users?

Most vim users are just using it because some other techbro on HN said it was the way to really crush code when getting down to the metal with Node.js.

Anyone who stops for 10 seconds to think "wow, I press these buttons all the time and they're in terrible spots, maybe I should rebind them."

Or perhaps "wow, this button does not exist anymore, perhaps I should rebind it, oh wow this is even better!"

• Locked thread