Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Oh man, and I wrote a bunch of elisp to transform a jira issue ID into its corresponding URL... could have just used this.

Org mode never ceases to amaze me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

PlesantDilemma posted:

Why is it that when I scroll around in a buffer, the cursor will stay in the visible area? I'm used to modern GUI editors where the cursor stays fixed while I scroll through a file. Is there a flag or mode to get the behavior I'm used to?

As far as I know the point is always visible in the window. You might look into saving a mark before you go scrolling if you care about it.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Deus Rex posted:

I know both emacs and vim pretty well, and it's super annoying when I have evil-mode on and something like a compilation mode buffer pops up, and hitting "q" to dismiss it via quit-window ends up recording a keyboard macro instead. I know I could configure evil-mode to do things the way I like, but :effort:.

It's frustrating because vim is so much better at actually editing text, but emacs is better in every other way as a programming tool. Oh well.

You can just set evil to put you in a different evil mode (like emacs-mode) in buffers with the modes like you describe.

It takes about twenty seconds to add a new mode to the list once you've got the thing written.

If you're :effort:ing about having to tweak your init.el a little to make emacs behave like you want, then emacs isn't for you. :)

I just got used to typing "iq" instead...

midnightclimax posted:

I've copied my .emacs.d to a new machine, but the startup is considerably slower. Is it necessary to start with a fresh .emacs.d anyway? Maybe that's a rookie mistake.

I check out my git repo with a metric ton of self-written elisp code on every machine I install emacs on. I'm certainly not going to redo all the work I did customizing it the first time.

Try M-x byte-compile-directory on your .emacs.d.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 11, 2015

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

With vim keybindings, C-] also exits insert mode. I rarely use esc for it.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Kind of looks like you pasted the error message into the REPL input.

Does it work fine after that?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Braveclojure.com is how I got started with Clojure (and emacs, actually). It's really good.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Soricidus posted:

You can save yourself a bit of effort if you notice the optional arguments to load:
code:
(load "~/.emacs.d/init-local" t)

I also like to have a machine-specific-config dir which has subdirs named corresponding to the output of (system-name) on each machine, which I add to the load list at the top.

Then if I want to override a particular file on a given machine I just add it there and the load call pulls that file instead of the default.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Spacemacs uses use-package everywhere and personally I've come to really enjoy layers (I assume that's what he means by layouts, though I don't know what project-based layers are).

It's really nice to not have to also build a configuration management system when I'm building my editor. It makes it a lot easier to use others' configs as well.

It took a little bit of doing but there are a bunch of cool features like micro-states in there too. I built an xml layer that allows navigation by tag with only a couple hotkeys and it was pretty easy to learn everything necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Siguy posted:

Spacemacs' evil-mode defaults escape to pressing f and d at the same time and I've grown to really like it. It seems like it would get in the way, but I've never accidentally triggered it and the ergonomics are much nicer.

Wait really? I've been using jj pressed less than a half second apart, but this sounds better (rebound to "eu" or "ht" for Dvorak). Know how to rebind it?

• Locked thread