Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Another hint if you're using emacs for any s-expr language like Common Lisp, Scheme or Clojure:

ParEdit and Redshank modes constraint you to only s-expr, it becomes impossible to write unbalanced parenthesis and so on. You will have to get used to new commands such as joining and splitting expressions, but it significantly speeds up your Lisp coding. Check out the screencast on the Redshank link for an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
You could always use pedals, like an emacs loving grandmaster:

http://www.cb1.com/~john/computing/emacs/handsfree/pedals.html

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
'RIP

Lacking a Lisp thread, I think this is appropriate here.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

quote:

Here lies a Lisper / Uninterned from this mortal package / Yet not gc'd / While we retain pointers to his memory

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I'm starting to hate aquamacs more and more. Last few versions were unstable as gently caress.

Now that it finally works in Lion it just freezes if I try to even change the font.

Time to configure the regular emacs?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Any changes that will make me more productive? I've got a deadline on Thursday and I need to soothe my conscience that it will be worth the switch :)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
With 'change' I meant 'change from emacs23 to emacs24'.

I just switched to the Solarized color theme: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized
Dear god that's an improvement on the eyes to my green-on-black theme.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Google ads were finally useful? :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lisp.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

drat I wish I'd known that sooner.

Seconded. Explains why I sometimes had the I-search: and I-search backward: stuck below the screen.

Moar emacs hints!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Random protip:

Many Emacs key bindings also work in linux terminals and any OSX editing fields. For example C-a or C-a.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Is there a good semantic auto-complete for C/C++ modes? I guess I'm too spoiled by lisp+slime.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

baby puzzle posted:

What does that look like?

code:
* collapse test

here is some contents

- hidden stuff 1
  stuff

- hidden stuff 2
  stuff 2

i don't want this to collapse with hidden stuff 2, but it does.
It says the list is supposed to end when the indented section ends, but this example doesn't work.

Enter this command to make all your dreams come true:

M-x org-indent-mode

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Aquamacs is a good way to ease mac-users in. The common apple commands work in conjunction with the emacs ones. The configuration file is in the usual ~/Library/Application Support/

You ease them in by selling it as a great latex or org-mode editor, hopefully they grow into it and use it for coding too.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Eat your own dogfood ey? Awesome

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I do, but it's academic research :v:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Dynamically scoped variables + threads = oh balls.

They will have to completely switch over to lexically scoped vars.

Or just write emacs in CL already.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
It's switching from one standardised Lisp that is lexically scoped, but offers *special* variables if you really want them; to a surviving Lisp dialect from back in the day when everyone rolled his own, that happens to just have added lexically scoped variables as a special case.

That said, CL is just as hosed when someone starts to roll dynamically scoped variables. And much of the environment is in *earmuffed-vars*.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Just saw this blog linked on HackerNews:
http://emacsredux.com

Lots of interesting protips.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
M-/ simple word completion based on all the open buffers is such a simple but stupidly useful feature, I do not understand why few other editors have it.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I used rescuetime to ... rescue my PhD thesis writing. You would be surprised how many unproductive hours you spend online on a given work day.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I do not mean to say that unproductive hours are wasteful. Deflating works best on stuff that is absolutely unproductive and useless!

What I meant was that after a 9 hours work day, I was really surprised to see how that somehow 6 hours of that were spent on stuff like SA and reddit (and I hate reddit). Waaay beyond attributed break time.
I need to take short breaks and often, but I apparently was spending too long on any break than I subjectively realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
A quick 'thank emacs' to start the week:

# Hi-lock: (("ymm3" (0 (quote hi-blue-b) t)))
# Hi-lock: (("ymm2" (0 (quote hi-green-b) t)))
# Hi-lock: (("ymm1" (0 (quote hi-red-b) t)))
# Hi-lock: (("r9" (0 (quote hi-pink) t)))
# Hi-lock: (("[Vv]movups" (0 (quote hi-black-hb) t)))

Just made trawling through lovely Eigen-emitted assembly several magnitudes more readable, without having to enter the highlight rexexps every time. Being able to dump your file-specific configurations in the file itself is something that I'de wish more editors/IDEs would steal.

• Locked thread