Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

baby puzzle posted:

I am still using emacs because I haven't found a replacement for orgmode yet.. I wonder if I should completely start again, though.

Is there a package that makes emacs behave like a decent modern program? I still have all of these problems:

- I am still manually resizing the window every time I open it.
- I am still manually opening all of my files because emacs doesn't remember which files I had open.

Those issues are really just the tip of the iceberg. Any modern program just does those things automatically because it isn't 1983.

Edit: I found ErgoEmacs after posting. I think I'll try it out.

Edit 2: Nevermind, that thing sucks.

You can set a default frame size by customizing default-frame-alist. Good SO answer here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/94277/692055

As for remembering open files, I personally keep an emacs process running all the time with a server, and connect to it with emacsclient if I need to open something from the command line. Emacs also ships with desktop-save-mode which persists a list of open buffers when you close Emacs.

You could also look at something like projectile for switching to a 'project', opening files/buffers from that project, and closing all their buffers all very quickly.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to make Emacs put in a real honest to god tab character into a file? It really likes to put in some number of spaces, chosen seemingly at random because that's how RMS indented his poo poo on ITS in 1969.

C-q <Tab>? Or do you want to switch to hard tabs for indentation everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Yeah actually that sounds right. If you want to just disable auto-indentation on <Tab> then you can disable indent-tabs-mode.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Turn on ido-mode and install smex.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

You can also read the org mode manual on the web, or inside Emacs (which I recommend) with C-h i to enter Info, the documentation browser, then m to prompt for a menu item, and type "org<RET>" to choose the "Org Mode" heading. The answer to your question (sorting org items, including TODOs) is in there.

Info is a nice way to read about Emacs and a few packages provide documentation in there.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

If you're writing a lot of Emacs Lisp this package is a godsend. SLIME-style M-. and M-, to jump to a symbol's definition and back out again, and a unified shortcut for getting documentation for symbol at point.

https://github.com/purcell/elisp-slime-nav

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Is there some way I can assign the system clipboard to a register on OS X? Vim has a nice feature where any interactions with the system clipboard go through the "*" register, so you won't clobber your system clipboard with any Vim-specific editing unless you explicitly ask to do so.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Emacsrocks and the companion series Extending Emacs are both great. Magnar's enthusiasm is infectious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6h5dFyyUX0

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

You only need (interactive) in functions that you run from the minibuffer.

You need them on anything which is done 'interactively', whether from a keybinding or the minibuffer.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I use C-w for backward-kill-word, as in Readline, and C-x C-k for killing a region. I find myself needing to kill a word way more often than a region, and this way I can minimize reaches for backspace.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

PlesantDilemma posted:

Hey I use this line in my .emas to make text bigger:

Lisp code:
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 140)
And this works on Windows 7 and Ubuntu. But I got setup with a MacBook at work and this does not make the text bigger when I use Emacs.app. I'm a mac noob so also post tips on using Emacs on mac for me. Thanks!

This is a stupid question, but have you tried changing the number to be bigger on your Mac (like evaluating:

Lisp code:
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 200)
in the scratch buffer), and seeing if it changes? I've noticed font scales are different in Emacs on Mac OS and Linux. The default font size may be different as well.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

tak posted:

Try scroll-restore.

The point will still around as you scroll -- there's no way to change that AFAIK, it's just how emacs works -- but it will move back to its original position when you scroll back.

Ugh:

quote:

This server could not prove that it is elpa.gnu.org; its security certificate expired 45 day(s) ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Saturday, April 25, 2015. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

Anyway PlesantDilemma, it's not perfect but as a workaround but you could store the point in a register before you scroll around. See C-h f point-to-register.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Is it possible to define which frames in a desktop session are at the bottom, and which ones are at the top? Right now it seems that the top-most frame to open, is the one that was created last. Any way to change that? (to be more clear: I have frames a,b,c; and I would like a to be on top of b, c being the one at the bottom.

What do you mean by on top and bottom? Like, spatially, on the screen (in the Y or Z dimension)? In some queue?

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I know both emacs and vim pretty well, and it's super annoying when I have evil-mode on and something like a compilation mode buffer pops up, and hitting "q" to dismiss it via quit-window ends up recording a keyboard macro instead. I know I could configure evil-mode to do things the way I like, but :effort:.

It's frustrating because vim is so much better at actually editing text, but emacs is better in every other way as a programming tool. Oh well.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

You can just set evil to put you in a different evil mode (like emacs-mode) in buffers with the modes like you describe.

It takes about twenty seconds to add a new mode to the list once you've got the thing written.

If you're :effort:ing about having to tweak your init.el a little to make emacs behave like you want, then emacs isn't for you. :)

I have a ~800 SLOC .emacs.d directory and I know my way pretty well around Emacs Lisp. It's just that configuring this one thing is such a stupid pain to me, because I'm constantly discovering new modes where I get tripped up. Whatever.

fidel sarcastro posted:

I threw this in my config and it's solved most of those problems:

code:
(dolist (mode-map '((comint-mode . emacs)
		    (eshell-mode . emacs)
		    (fundamental-mode . emacs)
		    (git-commit-mode . insert)
		    (git-rebase-mode . emacs)
		    (help-mode . emacs)
		    (term-mode . emacs)))
  (evil-set-initial-state `,(car mode-map) `,(cdr mode-map)))
Not mine originally, but I can't remember the source to link it.

Thanks, that's a nice start of modes to disable evil in if I ever give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

duck monster posted:

Its on a remote terminal from home.

Have you considered using TRAMP instead? :smugmrgw:

• Locked thread