Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
So the other day I upgraded to emacs24 - had to build from source because aptitude is stuck on 23. And yesterday I was doing some TeX editing and realized I didn't have AUCTeX. "Gee", I thought, "maybe I should use this package manager thing that I basically specifically installed emacs24 for." So I did. And then AUCTeX wouldn't work still. And I couldn't find a reason until, while reading the doc, I realized that the "base" .el file, the one you have to load to make it all work, is named texsite.el for some reason. Lo and behold, if you change texsite.el to be auctex.el, the same as the package name, poo poo Just Works.

Am I wrong about that? Did I accidentally fix it some other way? Because if I'm not, why the gently caress don't the auctex folks just name their goddamn file auctex.el so it doesn't break ELPA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

h_double posted:

I haven't used CEDET, but it reportedly does offer intellisense-style completion.

Compiling and running from within emacs is always possible, you don't need CEDET or anything special. You can do something as simple as 'M-x compile', or something a little more sophisticated.

Also, there are magical comments you can put at the head of any file to define the compile-command for that file. And of course since M-x compile executes compile-command, you can write hooks to put in your .emacs that set it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

My emacs (24) just chokes on large python files, in stock python-mode. Doing something that requires reparsing the syntax highlighting for much of the file will make emacs non-responsive for sometimes upwards of a minute, or indefinitely so I get to kill -9 it. It also takes forever to open these files. Googling around has only given me answers relating to alternate python-modes or which-func mode, all in now-defunct bugzilla reports, which is... not helpful.

Any of you seen anything similar?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I think I've asked this before ITT but I still haven't really found a good answer, only a couple bugs from four years and several major emacs versions ago.

Emacs python-mode for me is very slow in certain circumstances: On large files, doing something like deleting a closing paren and leaving the opening paren. Locks up emacs for a while, the only solution is to just wait until it comes back. Also, jumping around in a relatively large file (I'm talking ~3-5klines) gives a second or two of lockup before redrawing at the right place.

Anybody run into something similar?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I know I've been bitching a lot in here and know that nobody cares, but I actually solved my unbearably slow python mode problem using profiler: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Profiling.html which was not something I knew emacs had and it's pretty cool. If you haven't used it before, be aware that man page talks about "your program" as if it's expecting you to debug elisp programs that you're running with eval. But if you just start profiling, do whatever's being really slow, and then look at the report it'll happily tell you about all the internals you want!

In my case it ended up being a very old version of rainbow-delimiters which I installed before MELPA existed. Updated and it works great now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

lemonslol posted:

Hey emacs guys. I've been using emacs for a week and I was wondering about some things:

If I'm using the doc viewer to read a pdf from within emacs, is there a way to save it so that the next time I open emacs it opens at the same page I was at?
Don't know this one sorry.

quote:

Is there a way to list all the folders associated with a project while I code? I've been opening up a shell and using a cli file manager just to keep track, but I was hoping there was something a bit more seamless.

This is a whole genre of packages, generally termed "project managers". The big one is projectile, which lets you create projects based on version control repos or folders or really anything, and then once you're in a project has a lot of utilities for e.g. grepping around within the project, running tags searches, opening files in it, etc. It even integrates well with helm, which it seems like you're already using! I use this every day, and my only problem with it is I haven't quite gotten projectile, helm, and perspective quite all working together yet.

quote:

While I'm at it, can I make it start with split windows? So one for terminal, one for pdf, one for editing code?

At least in projectile, and probably in other project managers, there's a provided hook called
code:
switch-project-action
that you can put some elisp in to do this, I can't help you there because I'm not real good at elisp. Ask on the emacs stack exchange!

quote:

Is there a way to switch buffers between split windows more reliably then M-x ido-mode? Like instead be able to do M-x 1, 2 ,3 to switch around from file to file?
Confused about what you're asking here... You already have your splits set up, but the wrong buffers are in each split, so you want to hop around and change them all?
- If this is happening when you're switching between projects, so you have your | pdf | term | code | setup for project A and want to switch to your | pdf | term | code | setup for project B, this is something that perspective will do - once you get a project open, doing
code:
perspective-switch-project
back to that project will change your window and buffer layout to be the same as you left it when you last were in that project.

quote:

Can I boot into emacs instead of X and still read PDFs? It sounds odd, but what I really like about emacs is that it is so inclusive and I never have to leave it, and I think the next step would be just to start in emacs and use it as a windows manager, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

http://www.howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html

• Locked thread