Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Not a fan of teasing Shanks finally meeting Luffy and then reneging, again.

Am a fan of Bart loving around in Shanks' territory.

I hope we get a few episodes showing the chaos happening in the rest of the world.

Didn't he say they'd meet at the Pirate Summit? Nvm, Ace told Luffy that.
Still, I was sure they weren't going to meet yet, so I was mostly just waiting for him to decline. Also, I don't think they would have bothered showing the crew asking to see him, he would have just went.

But these last few episodes have been way, way better than all the fight ones. The pacing is so much better. I honestly kept thinking the episode was about to end several times during the last one and was pleasantly surprised when it kept going. Real good stuff.

I was pretty surprised when Yamato said he wanted to join the Strawhats; the crew already feels very bloated, and I'm not sure there's any position not yet filled on the ship. I guess he's had those little eyecatcher commercial break things hinting at him being more important than the other characters.

I also find he's tremendously inconsistent with claiming to be Oden. I would understand if he clarified that he inherited his spirit or something, but he introduces himself as Yamato, son of Kaido, a lot. And Oden would be the rightful Shogun, but he doesn't try at all to assert that he holds that title. Not that Oden did either, but like aside from claiming to be Momonosuke's dad, I don't see why Yamato claims to be Oden, which feels kind of cruel. To Momonosuke, Oden died really recently. Also, I'm not sure if he's ever interacted with Hiyori at all. I guess wanting to sail the seas and not taking on any responsibilities is Oden-like though.

Genuinely excited! :sickos:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Didn't he say they'd meet at the Pirate Summit? Nvm, Ace told Luffy that.
Still, I was sure they weren't going to meet yet, so I was mostly just waiting for him to decline. Also, I don't think they would have bothered showing the crew asking to see him, he would have just went.

But these last few episodes have been way, way better than all the fight ones. The pacing is so much better. I honestly kept thinking the episode was about to end several times during the last one and was pleasantly surprised when it kept going. Real good stuff.

I was pretty surprised when Yamato said he wanted to join the Strawhats; the crew already feels very bloated, and I'm not sure there's any position not yet filled on the ship. I guess he's had those little eyecatcher commercial break things hinting at him being more important than the other characters.

I don’t read the manga so even if I’m right these aren’t spoilers. Just my understanding. I’ll spoiler them anyway just in case even though they only contain info from released episodes.

The ability to read the phoneglyphs and translate the path to the one piece is a secret passed down by Oden’s family, and the reason Oden was so important for Roger’s journey.

Yamato has read over and over all of Oden’s travel journals, and presumably now understands how to do that. I would assume mono has not learned this secret due to what happened in Wano.

For Luffy, Yamato is going to be his Oden, their translator.

Plus, Yamato is the best addition to the straw hats (if it actually happens) since Franky.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don’t read the manga so even if I’m right these aren’t spoilers. Just my understanding. I’ll spoiler them anyway just in case even though they only contain info from released episodes.

Isn't that Nico Robin's job?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Isn't that Nico Robin's job?

It has been, but she’s never been able to fully read the road phoneglyphs, just the weapon ones IIRC. I think she’s been taking imprints and slowly trying to translate them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

It has been, but she’s never been able to fully read the road phoneglyphs, just the weapon ones IIRC. I think she’s been taking imprints and slowly trying to translate them.

I am not sure where you're getting this. Robin can read the poneglyphs. Luffy doesn't "need" Yamato to do so.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

robin can 100% read all of the writing on any poneglyph easily

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Well then, I am clearly wrong, ignore me

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

1081's frame rate suuuuucked rear end making everything look like garbage. Was actually looking forward to this fight looking good. Show really needs to just be okay with taking extended breaks to let the manga get further ahead and give their animation teams a better window of time to get things done.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

The ability to read the phoneglyphs and translate the path to the one piece is a secret passed down by Oden’s family, and the reason Oden was so important for Roger’s journey.

Yamato has read over and over all of Oden’s travel journals, and presumably now understands how to do that. I would assume mono has not learned this secret due to what happened in Wano.

Plus, Yamato is the best addition to the straw hats (if it actually happens) since Franky.

He read his journal, but I doubt it contained a language textbook.

Momo was specifically said to have not been taught yet by his father. You would think that the former Shogun still being alive with that specific knowledge would have given Robin a chance to learn something or Momo to learn, but apparently, he just decided to contribute nearly nothing and stay hidden. Which then - why even bother having that reveal? Maybe something will happen later, I don't know.

Also, yeah, Robin can read them. That's why everyone wants to capture her. Not sure how Blackbeard or Shanks intend to reach the island yet without her.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Not thrilled with them just seemingly, calmly stating after the fact what all resulted from the intrigues elsewhere while Wano was getting sorted as opposed to simply switching back over for however many episodes to show it all unfold same as Wano did---don't recall the show ever going down that cursed narrative delivery route prior.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The former shogun likely had to stay hidden precisely because he's able to read them like Robin. And that's probably why he'll stay hidden. And Momo not knowing how to read them is a blessing because it makes him safe as well.

Also, I've seen better framerates on my first computer when watching AMVs at like 5 FPS. When I got my second computer, I was amazed that they're not supposed to look that way. It's almost like the producers are insulting its audience with this, since these far more relevant scenes than most of the stuff I saw this arc that didn't have this framerate.

And as mentioned, having Shanks go all the way to Wano just to go 'nah' is pretty weird, especially since his entire crew wants to see Luffy again. Yasopp likely wants to see him too but the prospect of meeting Usopp overrides that. By the way... worst dad?

I'm anime-only but it really doesn't feel like Yamato is going with them. The whole 'I'm Oden!' shtick falls completely flat overseas where most people don't even know who he is. All they'll see is that Kaido's child is traveling with Luffy, which doesn't seem like a development the story wants to go with. But I could be wrong. I feel like Yamato will just be part of the Straw Hat Flotilla.

I would have preferred if Momo assigned a regent like Kin'emon until he was qualified to rule, or Denjiro who actually was involved in the ruling regime this whole time.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dipwood posted:

The former shogun likely had to stay hidden precisely because he's able to read them like Robin. And that's probably why he'll stay hidden. And Momo not knowing how to read them is a blessing because it makes him safe as well.

They never needed to before, for 800 years. But even still, why bother saying he's actually alive? It's less why is he doing what he's doing and more why did Oda include this? Feels like an opportunity for something to happen.

Maybe it's also just because I love ancient languages, so hearing there's a living person who had been charged with safeguarding that knowledge and then just dying with it makes me really sad.

dipwood posted:

I would have preferred if Momo assigned a regent like Kin'emon until he was qualified to rule, or Denjiro who actually was involved in the ruling regime this whole time.

I guess it's the trope of when the rightful king is back in power, all is and will forever be well in the kingdom. The narrator literally said he will be regarded as the greatest shogun in history or whatever, which seems rather ridiculous.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The Kozuki clan (Oden's family) can read and write on the poneglyphs, and were in fact the people who made them in the first place. They're the only people in the world who can leave a mark on these giant, indestructible blocks of stone.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's so refreshing to be done with Wano.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The series isn’t even over yet and they’re already working on a remake of the anime:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1736313616867975570

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

One of the biggest problems with the series, (and one of the biggest hurdles to get new people to start watching the show,) is that there's just so much filler in the individual episodes.

There is hardly any filler in the show itself content wise, but when you're having to get more than 6 minutes into an episode (intro plus recap) to start seeing the story progress, it might turn people off.
If I'm not mistaken, the main reason the show was so serialized was because of the need to make the content last on a weekly schedule. This contributed to the main complaint that most people have about the show, it's huge length. If this remake can help cut down on some of that, I think it'll be a worthwhile endeavor to get more people to start off with the show.

Also, the first few arcs I considered the weakest, I wonder what they can do to improve upon that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
after watching both seasons of spy x family, i think studio wit can easily get every panel of east blue into a single season, with expert pacing and beautiful, consistent animation. this could be “it”

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh, they're the guys who did SpyxFamily? That's sick, ngl.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It would be nice if this was more of a One Piece Kai type of deal, but it does look more like an alternative universe the way they're describing it. The TV show condensed/changed a bunch of things around, but the main story beats are still there, and people aren't expecting those to change.

However, having that sort of creative freedom might mean improvements on the manga itself.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 17, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gologle posted:

Oh, they're the guys who did SpyxFamily? That's sick, ngl.

Oh it’s so much better than that.

Spy x family, the first 3 seasons of Attack on titan (so Leon vs beast titan, Ackerman battle, etc), Vinland saga, Vivi fluorite song (which is excellent) ,ranking of kings which story wise is iffy but absolutely beautifully animated, plus some other really well done smaller stuff.

They are an incredible animation team. Really good with fast paced, high movement action that’s easy to follow. All signs point to this being absolutely incredible.

After Vinland saga, just thinking about how good the nami tattoo scene will be. They’re supposedly doing all of east blue.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tenasscity posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the main reason the show was so serialized was because of the need to make the content last on a weekly schedule.

Yeah, and now, in addition to the absurd padding, we once again get a recap episode. We're not even on that island anymore, so it's so weird to have a recap of it, and essentially nothing happened as well. There's been a recap every like 6 episodes. Is this how it's going to carry on for the rest of the show?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It’s crucial to get reaction shots from every character on the island, and also from the trees while we’re at it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, and now, in addition to the absurd padding, we once again get a recap episode. We're not even on that island anymore, so it's so weird to have a recap of it, and essentially nothing happened as well. There's been a recap every like 6 episodes. Is this how it's going to carry on for the rest of the show?

Probably not.

We’re in transition between arcs. If they pad right now, there is no one being cliff-hung on the story. They probably feel like people are less likely to get mad if they pad here vs even more padding once the next arc starts.

Toei used to always do fillers during these arc breaks but it seems like they prefer recaps now.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Whoever liked Boss Luffy so much must not work there anymore.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is interesting, this remake thingy, but what's funny is it selfishly doesn't help me. For me the second half of the series needs a remake much more than the first half, we've all seen those pacing charts. It used to be several chapters an episode, settling down to around 1.5 ch average for a while. And then around Fishman and Punk Hazard it fell to 1 ch an episode, sometimes less etc.

The early stuff to me holds up well, I rewatched it and got a friend into it lately. But the show got slower and slower, so I became manga only in Punk Hazard. Other than movies etc.

So my nutty perfect idea, greenlight another show at the same time starting from Fishman arc called like One Piece Z: The Second Half of the Cruise. And I'll watch that one, and The One Piece will bring in some more new fans, and then we'll meet up one day, and everyone wins.

It's just funny that if this new version is a hit that lasts the whole run, I probably won't get to have these adaptations of the second half that I so want until maybe decades from now.

For the first half, it's interesting because it'll probably be better in some ways, worse in some ways. Because there is a lot of charm and something special to how they pulled it off already. Improving the pacing is cool, and flashy animation is fun (though often unnecessary). There are so many kind of quiet chill hanging with the gang on the adventure moments, and it's not like the manga always felt like it had a breakneck pace either.

So anyways, I think it's cool, I just want it for the second half a lot more, and it's a unique situation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
watched the first half of wano by watching one pace last week and it was amazing. the wano kuni intro is so good. i still remember the sea going from normal anime style to classic japanese style however many years ago but i stopped on that episode since i watch by arcs, and then the next ep opens with 2 minutes of shamisen shredding and the entire art style subtly changes. it's such a great intro

unfortunately, one pace is only up to the oden backstory so i binged the rest this week raw, by which i mean, i probably scrolled over 60% of the show runtime. for the next arc i'll just wait for one pace to catch up because jumping around gets tiring if you don't want to miss poo poo

tl;dr one pace great, non-cut anime somehow has even worse pacing than i remembered, but when it's good it's probably the best of one piece so far

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If I was this show's director, I'd have been working more closely with Oda to try and drop hints via music as to where the show is going. The drums of liberation seemed like a good bridge between the show's reality and the mystical. The acapella version of We Are could have continued that by literally singing what Luffy intends to do after being king of the pirates.

Still, that's a looooong time trying to pull off a trick like hiding the ending in the first OP.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Probably not.

We’re in transition between arcs. If they pad right now, there is no one being cliff-hung on the story. They probably feel like people are less likely to get mad if they pad here vs even more padding once the next arc starts.

Toei used to always do fillers during these arc breaks but it seems like they prefer recaps now.

I'm guessing some combination of not enough / overworked writers and artists. They have plenty of material to pull from for 'filler' without resorting to writing anime original content (e.g. cover stories from the manga) but just default to recap clip shows as they're far easier to produce.

Probably a side effect of the 'produce it weekly or lose your slot' thing the Japanese networks have going on, plus being terminally afraid of catching up to the manga (not sure how far ahead it is?)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm guessing some combination of not enough / overworked writers and artists. They have plenty of material to pull from for 'filler' without resorting to writing anime original content (e.g. cover stories from the manga) but just default to recap clip shows as they're far easier to produce.

Probably a side effect of the 'produce it weekly or lose your slot' thing the Japanese networks have going on, plus being terminally afraid of catching up to the manga (not sure how far ahead it is?)

manga is currently ending the second act (assuming a traditional 3-act structure) of the egghead island arc

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Today's episode, amazing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Today's episode, amazing.

Yes holy poo poo.

New intro is one of the best they’ve had in years. The song, the animation, all perfect. It’s clearly extremely spoiler filled, but it was so good I didn’t even care. (Spoilers that are revealed in the intro) Luci vs Nika is a fight that I am so excited for. Nearly 1000 episodes will have passed by the time they revisit this rivalry.

Also seeing more admiral and Kuma action is very exciting.

This is also the first time since dressrosa the whole crew has been together (I don’t really count the little pre-battle wano reunion). Dressrosa ended at episode 746 in 2016. Seeing the causal Going Sunny interactions again made me so happy. I missed the whole crew together.

The animation was also way too pretty for the stuff that was happening in the episode. Even the cutaway stuff like the news bird.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That ep felt like 40 minutes in a good way

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This was a great episode and a very good start to the new arc.

The scene of Lulusia being obliterated is intense.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why that episode was better than almost any episode in the past decade.

More episodes like that please!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I don't understand why that episode was better than almost any episode in the past decade.

More episodes like that please!

I don’t know if I’d class it as better than certain Katakuri fight or wano fight EPs, but it was super good.

It’s our arc intro episode (now that we’re passed “world-building catchup while we were busy eps). They usually put tons of focus on arc intros. And considering it has been something like 4 years since we got one we deserved it.

If you remember the initial wano arc intro was super similar.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm curious, how many chapters do anime-only folks think were adapted for that episode?

The answer is less than two-thirds. Ten pages from ch 1060, and two pages from ch 1061. The average chapter is 18-19 pages.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like the new op song, not so much the animation for it.

I did like the episode though! Figures the mysterious figure on the throne can just nuke entire islands off the map, although if they were capable of that why even have the navy do the same job?

Also I'm gonna guess Sabo isn't dead somehow because otherwise wow oda really hates fire users!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/HB4iNVa746E

We Are! performance on The First Take. It sounds amazing

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I dig the new OP. RIP OP25, we barely knew you. I especially like the scene with Luffy walking forwards and the crew appearing with him as it switched between their different outfits.

Looks like whatever superweapon Imu used on Lulusia leaves a massive crater in the ocean so I guess that's what happened at Enies Lobby (before the new island was built above the crater). Though not sure why it was used on Lulusia to get Sabo and not the Kammabakka Queendom to eradicate the entire Revolutionary Army HQ... also must be some reason they have the Buster Call as well, I suspect something along the lines of the Buster Call taking time to put together and Imu needing Sabo dead _now_ (he'll have escaped, no way they're giving him an off screen death like that) - maybe some kind of side effect of the ortillery which stops it being used a lot?

Overall a good episode, though I hope the omake bit at the end isn't going to be a thing every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I hate when media does the thing where character has an important thing to say and they're can't stammer it out and then it's too late.

I assume they didn't blast the Kammabakka Queendom because it's either out of range, or they can't set the precedent of just blasting anybody just for opposing the World Government. It has to be for this specific reason.

As for why they haven't used it before, I assume it's new.