Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They still have not made one better than Kokoro no Chizu (#5).

My second favorite is Believe (#2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I am not entirely sure if this is allowed, but what are the sub groups to be watching at the moment?

At the moment, I'm just BEING A BAD BOY:filez: as they come.

Odette fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 25, 2011

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Uh, how about the official Funimation subtitled simulcast release?

You know, the legal one?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

OrangeGuy posted:

Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.

In terms of just the music track, I'd go with either the 2008 remix of We Are! or, being a Ska fan, Crazy Rainbow. If it's OP+Music, then either 2008 We Are! or this new version of We Go! with the little callback to the original opening.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Uh, how about the official Funimation subtitled simulcast release?

You know, the legal one?

Because I'm not from North America and they won't let me watch anything due to their geolocation blocking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll always like Share the World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UPkUDJEn0&hd=1

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Odette, I am in the same boat (HOHOOHHOOHO) as you. It sucks hardcore donkey dick. I suggest you stop talking about it or you will get probated (this is just advice! I got something similar for another show).

Can't PM you, so I can't be of any help.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 25, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

OrangeGuy posted:

Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.

Brand New World is pretty much what got me to start watching/reading the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXBIPZ_c_I

Very disappointing that it only lasted like six episodes for some reason, and they replaced it with the annoying Crazy Rainbow. Every op after that (Until Fight Together) felt really bland, and eventually they looked less and less fitting for the series (One Day, I'm looking at you). Does anyone know why they decided to make the openings twice as long after this? Almost every time they drag on way too long. They also marked the end of... well, endings.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2011

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Momomo posted:

Brand New World is pretty much what got me to start watching/reading the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXBIPZ_c_I

Very disappointing that it only lasted like six episodes for some reason, and they replaced it with the annoying Crazy Rainbow. Every op after that (Until Fight Together) felt really bland, and eventually they looked less and less fitting for the series (One Day, I'm looking at you). Does anyone know why they decided to make the openings twice as long after this? Almost every time they drag on way too long. They also marked the end of... well, endings.
They make them so long because it means less actual content they have to produce for the episode. Its also why reviews of what happened before are so long sometimes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

But making an opening twice as long would give them the same amount of work, wouldn't it? If they're hurting for time (god knows they were when they stared this), why not throw endings in too?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's... it's not like they're re-animating it every week...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I know that, I'm saying taking out the ending and adding a minute to the opening means they're at the same length as before.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hikare E (#3) is by far my favorite, and it's the only one I would watch all the way through every time. And it was there for so long. I was very sad when it changed, especially considering they changed it to bon voyage (#4), which is definitely my least favorite of all of them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

But making an opening twice as long would give them the same amount of work, wouldn't it? If they're hurting for time (god knows they were when they stared this), why not throw endings in too?

They dont have to license two songs.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Some Numbers posted:

They still have not made one better than Kokoro no Chizu (#5).

My second favorite is Believe (#2).
Those are also my top two OPs for OP. I'd go with We Are for the third.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Those are also my top two OPs for OP. I'd go with We Are for the third.

Yeah, I can get behind that. Probably Brand New World and Hikari E after that.

Crazy Rainbow is by far the worst. Jungle P is fine. After that, the only one I really remember liking was Kaze wo Sagashite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

I know that, I'm saying taking out the ending and adding a minute to the opening means they're at the same length as before.

EDIT: Oh wait I get it now I'm dumb. I think not having to license two songs is the main reason, yeah.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 25, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Kokoro no Chizu all the way baby. Though I think part of that is the sheer awesomeness of the Enies Lobby arc. But really, the lyrics of Kokoro no Chizu are so fitting for One Piece and it's sort of an uplifting song for me.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

One Day is great if only for the fact that the band members' dream as kids was to perform an opening for One Piece :zoro:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Funimation finally licensed post-Skypeia One Piece for DVD/BR release. Was a long time coming, as it looked for awhile there like they wouldn't.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/blog/2011/10/28/thenextvoyage/

They've gotten the season 4 block, 206-263. Apparently they're licensed in blocks, rather than the whole show.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 28, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Teek posted:

Funimation finally licensed post-Skypeia One Piece for DVD/BR release. Was a long time coming, as it looked for awhile there like they wouldn't.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/blog/2011/10/28/thenextvoyage/

They've gotten the season 4 block, 206-263. Apparently they're licensed in blocks, rather than the whole show.

Sadly One Piece isnt quite popular enough in the west to warrant dropping the kind of cash Toei probably wants for the whole show. Doing it in blocks and making money off each bit is probably the only way we'd ever see it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I just want to hear the English version of Brand New World already.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
oh my god who will play foxy that is all that matters

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Steve Blum, obviously

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Steve Blum, obviously

Hes too busy playing Everyone Else In The World. Id seriously like to pick up a game and be able to go on a Steve Blum vacation for once.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ryaomon posted:

Stephen Merchant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I am totally ready to be completely disappointed by the Funimation version of Kokoro no Chizu.

(I really hope I'm wrong and it ends up being awesome)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I am totally ready to be completely disappointed by the Funimation version of Kokoro no Chizu.

(I really hope I'm wrong and it ends up being awesome)

I thought I heard that there were issues getting the rights to use Kokoro no Chizu so they just used We Are with its animation. I could be misremembering though.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Ryaomon posted:

Seriously, this! That's the biggest reason why I've been waiting for them to continue to Davy Back Fight. And I know it'll be a long time before they get to Thriller Bark, but I also want to hear Brook.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I thought I heard that there were issues getting the rights to use Kokoro no Chizu so they just used We Are with its animation. I could be misremembering though.

What.

I have no idea, I don't remember hearing anything about that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd be more excited about this if the next block of eps didn't involve a whole lot of filler. The anime pretty much destroyed any fun in the Davy Back fight, and then there's that awful dragon memory arc. The next few boxsets are going to be painful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, once the Dream arc is over we're at WATER 7!

Franky's VA will either be amazing or horrible. With a character like that, there's really no in-between.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They actually had someone do Franky in one of the games and he was okay. Not super enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoQa9rQE2Q

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm surprised a network hasn't taken a chance on showing OP again. It's probably 4Kids fault for tainting the franchise so badly in the U.S.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Teek posted:

I'm surprised a network hasn't taken a chance on showing OP again. It's probably 4Kids fault for tainting the franchise so badly in the U.S.

I know I was incredibly against it after I saw it on Cartoon Network once from 4Kids. It wasn't until someone INSISTED that I try it that I got 100% hooked.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Teek posted:

The Funimation dub isn't flawless, but it sure as gently caress rapes 4Kids. I imagine it'd draw in some more interest for the series, which would be great.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The Funimation Dub did run on Cartoon Network for a while, but I honestly don't ever see One Piece making it back on US television. I don't think it's all 4kids fault, either. It certainly didn't help matters, but they had other terrible dubs that turned out popular. There's something about One Piece that just doesn't click with the mainstream US audience. gently caress if I know what it is, though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Redcrimson posted:

There's something about One Piece that just doesn't click with the mainstream US audience. gently caress if I know what it is, though.

As far as I can tell, it's the art style. People get mad as gently caress when they watch an anime that doesn't have that identical sparkle-eyed CLAMP bishounen look. (I'm not sure why Dragonball gets a pass while One Piece doesn't, since DB/Z/etc's art is worse in every way.)

Pretty much the same thing happened to Lupin III.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

As far as I can tell, it's the art style. People get mad as gently caress when they watch an anime that doesn't have that identical sparkle-eyed CLAMP bishounen look. (I'm not sure why Dragonball gets a pass while One Piece doesn't, since DB/Z/etc's art is worse in every way.)

Pretty much the same thing happened to Lupin III.

It would fit in with a lot of the normal American cartoons art-wise except One Piece can be pretty bloody and brutal at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

New episode up.

Edit: I find it interesting that they decided to reveal that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 30, 2011