Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

dipwood posted:

I hate when media does the thing where character has an important thing to say and they're can't stammer it out and then it's too late.

I assume they didn't blast the Kammabakka Queendom because it's either out of range, or they can't set the precedent of just blasting anybody just for opposing the World Government. It has to be for this specific reason.

As for why they haven't used it before, I assume it's new.

They may have used it before but all trace of its use has been erased. Seems like that's what they're doing with Lulusia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

I dig the new OP. RIP OP25, we barely knew you. I especially like the scene with Luffy walking forwards and the crew appearing with him as it switched between their different outfits.

Looks like whatever superweapon Imu used on Lulusia leaves a massive crater in the ocean so I guess that's what happened at Enies Lobby (before the new island was built above the crater). Though not sure why it was used on Lulusia to get Sabo and not the Kammabakka Queendom to eradicate the entire Revolutionary Army HQ... also must be some reason they have the Buster Call as well, I suspect something along the lines of the Buster Call taking time to put together and Imu needing Sabo dead _now_ (he'll have escaped, no way they're giving him an off screen death like that) - maybe some kind of side effect of the ortillery which stops it being used a lot?

Overall a good episode, though I hope the omake bit at the end isn't going to be a thing every episode.

the dialogue between the elder stars at the beginning about sabo’s poor luck or fate when they learned the call was coming from Lulusia seemed to indicate that Lulusia was already scheduled to be blown up due to it being one of the eight countries that rebelled during the Reverie, and sabo is just unlucky.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

For the anime-onlys, here’s how the attack played out in the manga. It’s much more sudden and shocking, seemingly happening all at once, but the added fearful reactions to the smaller beams in the anime does add a bit to the horror even though it’s dragged out a bit more.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You know, i'm not usually a fan of Sabo, but Sabo terrified and on the run from unspeakable horrors bearing world shattering secrets, is loving Good Sabo.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the new opening's animation, but really, really didn't like the song. Sometimes they tend to grow on you though.

But the OP is all spoilers, so I'll never look at it again.

It just feels like they truly have no respect for the anime-viewers.

The weapon used might have been one of the ancient weapons.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Shadow0 posted:

And they're right to do so.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Yeah, I haven't seen a One Piece OP since Water 7. Too risky.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I liked the new opening's animation, but really, really didn't like the song. Sometimes they tend to grow on you though.

But the OP is all spoilers, so I'll never look at it again.

The weapon used might have been one of the ancient weapons.

it reminds me of the kind of OP that a seasonal anime will have, full of foreshadowing and spoilers that glide past you on first viewing but grow more meaningful as the season progresses

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I can't believe this is the same show from a couple months ago. The last three episodes have been cinematic.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It does feel a bit more like the staff are enjoying working on the show again, as opposed to the slog that was the end of Wano where they couldn't even be bothered in-betweening some bits.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
*topless jewelry bonney ringing out her wet shirt* yes, cinematic

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp there we go. 4 episodes into the new arc and we're already getting a filler episode next. Way to kill the momentum already!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yamato is insanely badass

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Is this whole show just thinly-veiled eating fetish?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

dipwood posted:

no, it's giant/tess fetish

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dipwood posted:

It's a meticulously crafted fetish monolith, op. No matter what you kink, it's there and it's proud.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Meowywitch posted:

It can be both. Remember the movie tie-in filler where Luffy ate a living, breathing giant?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

jassa posted:

It can be both. Remember the movie tie-in filler where Luffy ate a giant?

Specifically a giant lady with a devil fruit power of Shrinking, and her method of fighting is to get really small, get inside people, and return to normal size. Which is loving horrifying but since Luffy is rubber it just stretches him out to giant size which is also horrifying.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

This series has so many very large or very tiny people or races that I'm convinced that Oda is just showcasing his fetish half the time. And honestly, hell yeah for that.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

SilverSupernova posted:

This series has so many very large or very tiny people or races that I'm convinced that Oda is just showcasing his fetish half the time. And honestly, hell yeah for that.

Never forget Big Mom had a Tontatta husband :stare:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

i think hes showcasing every fetish he knows about in the interest of broad appeal

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure why Kaku is afraid of war with Luffy, the World Government has been at war with him since Luffy burned their flag at Enies Lobby, which he was very present for.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 1, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shadow0 posted:

Not sure why Kaku is afraid of war with Luffy, the World Government has been at war with him since Luffy burned their flag at Enies Lobby, which he was very present for.

Luffy is an Emperor of the Sea now with significantly more allies and allegiances than he did at Ennies Lobby. If the government willy nilly attacks any Emperor of the Sea, the rest, like Blackbeard, might use it as an excuse to attack the Navy at will. Currently it seems like Emperors and the Navy have a bit of a cold war going on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I feel like Blackbeard already messed with the Navy on numerous occasions, like on Amazon Lily. This 'don't make war with Emperors' stuff is maybe just an excuse to keep CP0 on track, given their history with the Straw Hats. Vegapunk is far more of a threat and messing with the Straw Hats complicates things on top of that. Hell, just sending CP0 seems like they're taking him really lightly. Maybe they even knew about his Forbidden Knowledge(tm) but tolerated him long enough to get their hands on the doomsday weapon, after which his usefulness to them did not exceed his liability.

Also, the Seraphim are really cool, even that utterly ridiculous Young Kuma design. Unless CP0 is hiding some ridiculous power-ups (and their performance in Wano makes me doubt that), I'm not sure how anyone other than maybe Gear 5 Luffy could handle the Seraphim.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2024

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Think about how much effort and setup they needed to take out the last emperor they fought. Now imagine if they had none of that preparation

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Given what we know now....was Whitebeard the weakest of the original four emperors? It seems likely at this point, even though it did basically take the full combined forces of the entire Navy, all of the Warlords (minus Jinbei), and a last second intervention from Blackbeard to take him down.

Imagining the same war happening but against Kaidou, Big Mom, or Shanks' crews and it seems way less winnable even with those odds, in my mind.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Given what we know now....was Whitebeard the weakest of the original four emperors? It seems likely at this point, even though it did basically take the full combined forces of the entire Navy, all of the Warlords (minus Jinbei), and a last second intervention from Blackbeard to take him down.

Imagining the same war happening but against Kaidou, Big Mom, or Shanks' crews and it seems way less winnable even with those odds, in my mind.

He definitely was, but also was with a full staff of nurses waiting on him while hooked up to medical equipment in his debut, so in a certain sense it sells how horrifying he was if it took that much of a concentrated effort to deal with someone who was definitely not doing great even before the battle started.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Whitebeard when we see him and Whitebeard in his prime are very different beasts

A young Edward Newgate could probably easily take down Big Mom, if not Kaido

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Whitebeard body-slammed a 10 foot-tall, 700 pound Roger in front of millions of Beardamaniacs brother and don't you forget it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Funky Valentine posted:

Whitebeard body-slammed a 10 foot-tall, 700 pound Roger in front of millions of Beardamaniacs brother and don't you forget it.

This sounds incredible

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Luffy is an Emperor of the Sea now with significantly more allies and allegiances than he did at Ennies Lobby. If the government willy nilly attacks any Emperor of the Sea, the rest, like Blackbeard, might use it as an excuse to attack the Navy at will. Currently it seems like Emperors and the Navy have a bit of a cold war going on.

Kild posted:

Think about how much effort and setup they needed to take out the last emperor they fought. Now imagine if they had none of that preparation

Are you suggesting that after Enies Lobby, the World Government arranged some kind of peace treaty with Luffy afterwards that happened off-screen?

I suppose it could be that when the government recognized him as an Emperor, they nullified all previous treaties and declarations, like how becoming a warlord nullifies any bounties, but that was never stated. As far as Kaku, Lucci, and Luffy know, they are all already at war with each other.

But I mean, it's just a small thing and I don't expect One Piece to be a grand strategy anime or whatever. Maybe he just meant escalating the war from cold to hot. But it was just something I noticed that I thought was funny. Everyone seems to have gotten over him burning that flag. Lucci even said he'd chase Robin to the ends of the Earth, but gave up on that and moved on too, haha.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

As far as the World Govt knows, Luffy and allies just took down Kaido and Big Mom, who have been powerhouses and basically untouchable for decades. Pretty sure they don't want to chance it and mess with him right now, until they've had chance to assess and prepare. And possibly try direct Blackbeard and/or Buggy at the problem and hope they take each other out.

I also feel Kaku telling Lucci not to start any yet is more of a 'stay on track and complete our mission' thing, if Lucci stays and fights Luffy there's more time for Vegapunk to get away.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's one of those moments where it feels kind of like a made up rule, but you only have to look back at how they used to treat warlords and it should have been easy to infer they would have a similar "no interference" policy for emperors. It's also pretty easy to see that in the entire history of this show, there are no examples of the marines performing an offensive attack against an emperor. We only see them responding in defense to an emperor's attack. Unless you count capturing Ace as an offensive attack, which I could see an argument for.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's one of those moments where it feels kind of like a made up rule, but you only have to look back at how they used to treat warlords and it should have been easy to infer they would have a similar "no interference" policy for emperors. It's also pretty easy to see that in the entire history of this show, there are no examples of the marines performing an offensive attack against an emperor. We only see them responding in defense to an emperor's attack. Unless you count capturing Ace as an offensive attack, which I could see an argument for.

They didn't even capture Ace, Blackbeard did.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yeah but it was the marines that wanted Ace executed. They knew it would provoke a response, which means they broke their no interference policy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Are you suggesting that after Enies Lobby, the World Government arranged some kind of peace treaty with Luffy afterwards that happened off-screen?

I suppose it could be that when the government recognized him as an Emperor, they nullified all previous treaties and declarations, like how becoming a warlord nullifies any bounties, but that was never stated. As far as Kaku, Lucci, and Luffy know, they are all already at war with each other.

But I mean, it's just a small thing and I don't expect One Piece to be a grand strategy anime or whatever. Maybe he just meant escalating the war from cold to hot. But it was just something I noticed that I thought was funny. Everyone seems to have gotten over him burning that flag. Lucci even said he'd chase Robin to the ends of the Earth, but gave up on that and moved on too, haha.

I'm suggesting he's an emperor and they have orders to not explicitly gently caress w. them outside of any sort of higher up commanding them to

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah but it was the marines that wanted Ace executed. They knew it would provoke a response, which means they broke their no interference policy.

I'd like to think the only reason they went through with it is because he was a D. Holder and the Celestial Dragons basically ordered them to do it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp we had the first part of a good looking fight between Lucci and Luffy and I guess they blew through their animation budget again because we're getting another loving filler episode next.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, it’s probably just that the manga’s closer than it’s probably ever been to the anime and Oda took a three week break off for medical checkups after Toriyama’s passing made him reflect on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm personally not a fan of animation so abstract that you can't even tell what's going on. At one point the only coherent part of the sequence was Luffy's mouth; nothing else was discernable.