Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CubanMissile posted:

Luckily losing an eye in an anime has zero effect on your fighting ability.

It doesn't have zero effect, it actually makes you stronger. The strongest character possible in anime would be a 150 year old plus man with no tongue, eyes, ears, nose or limbs. That fucker would kung fu your poo poo so hard it'd be wearing a little robe and belt as it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nechronic posted:

Mihawk was trying to keep scrubs out of the Grand Line. Zoro is keeping scrubs out of the new world.

SCRUBS

It's funny to imagine that Mihawk was actually just lost there, having taken a wrong turn while looking for AlbaqArabasta and like Zoro would, got embarrassed and decided to take it out on Krieg so no one would know.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

Actually, does any one piece character even have an eyepatch? I can't think of one, but I have awful memory when it comes to minor villains.

There isn't any, deliberately according to an old Oda interview. He's saving the eyepatch for a specific character. No clues to who yet. Rumor/hope mill says Luffy in the future, but who knows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think maybe Oda felt like he had to have the stereotypical weakling annoying kid who does nothing, but quickly got rid of that idea (and implemented elements of it in Usopp and Chopper). That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

Unlike everyone else I'm pretty sure it was the second option, but then again, I actually quite like Coby. And I'm happy to say, predicted his and Helmeppo's return to face Luffy and Zoro long before they actually reappeared in Enies Lobby. Coby has a dream, and he's actively on his way to achieve it. He's had one since chapter two or something like that. Dreams are not a light thing in One Piece, and Oda' doesn't hand them out willy nilly to random characters. All of which makes me think Coby's plot was planned to run alongside Luffy's from the start, and that he'll face Luffy as a serious enemy much later on in time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nechronic posted:

I forget, was Axe Hand Morgan recaptured by the marines? I'd love to see Helmeppo kick his rear end now that he's probably a lot stronger than his old man.

Pretty sure Garp recaptured him after Coby and Helmeppo stood up to him in front of Garp. Wasn't that what earned them a place being trained by Garp in the first place?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Nope, he's still on the loose. It was confirmed in the manga during Jango's cover story. Axe Hand Morgan was still sailing in his boat while Jango drifted along.

Interesting. There's really no other reason to leave him on the loose than for Helmeppo to recapture him eventually. Maybe Coby/Helmeppo will get another cover arc to show off their new training or something?

You'd have to imagine Morgan would get a power up though, because Helmeppo would so far outstrip Morgan as he was that he'd probably be able to just knock him out just by blinking in his direction. Maybe his other 3 limbs will all be axes too? Or maybe he'll have eaten the ax fruit and women will be all over him?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JosephWongKS posted:

Garp is in his prime right now. This being a shounen series, the older you are, the more badass you become.

Pretty sure he outright says he's not as strong as he used to be back in the good ol' days at one point, and that his cannonball punch isn't as good as it used to be. Think it was when he met Coby and Helmeppo. Not sure though.

Regardless, he was still strong enough that he felt he could take Akainu after he killed Ace. And Sengoku believed him by the looks of things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

"Freaky okama with a heart of gold" is actually a fairly common trope from what I've seen of anime/manga. Just look at Tokyo Godfathers. They also featured prominently later on in 20th Century Boys, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

And even in that role though they're kind of dehumanized- they're not role models, or relatable characters, they're clowns.

I'm not sure I get this complaint. What would you say is wrong with Ivankov, Inazuma or Bon Clay's potrayal that makes them less a character than Kuma, Dadan or any other bit part character?

Eiba posted:

I've felt the same way about Oda's female character designs for ages. They're really lovely- actually worse than a lot of other anime and manga, as mind numbing as that concept is. One Piece remains my favorite shounen, and something I dearly love all the same.

Well, he is getting better. There were lots of weird and fun female characters on Amazon Island at least. Whether that carries over in to the rest of the manga or not is another thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Plus, unless he happens to be right next to the world's largest freezer there is no real weakness for lava. Franky might be able to build a really good freeze gun, but Akainu will just melt any ice that he comes in to contact with after a few seconds.

Light's even worse in that regard. And I know people keep suggesting mirrors - but I'm sorry, I think just about any fight that ends with Kizaru trapped between some mirrors would just come across as bullshit of the shittiest bull.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Appachai posted:

He could just return to his human form if he was bouncing in-between two mirrors. That doesn't make any sense.

Well that was kind of my point. Yet it keeps being suggested. That, or a prism, which again makes no sense to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

He should just go down in a battle with Teach. Darkness vs. Light... It makes sense.

Given that Ben Beckman was able to stop him from carrying out a really important order using the threat of a gun I'm hoping that someone less conventional will be the one to fight Kizaru. It'd be cool to see Zoro take him on while Luffy fights Akainu and Sanji fights Aokiji for instance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The problem with the plan being that (possible manga spoilers) Akainu is now probably in Sengoku's old position and there will probably be a new admiral in his place. I'd like to say Smoker, but that's a hell of a promotion.

Not honestly sure whether the anime has covered that or not since I don't watch every (or even a lot of) episodes, so spoilered just in case.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GoatLord posted:

Yall are crazy. Robin is the only Strawhat allowed to beat Aokiji.

Why would she have a problem with Aokiji? He's the one who saved her life, and granted her the chance to pursue happiness on the open sea. He even went so far as to forewarn her when he knew she was being pursued by CP9, and then walked away from a chance to wipe away her friends. Twice.

He might have killed Saul, but Saul was a traitor whose escape he would have a hard time covering. Robin herself was just a statistic when he left her go, and he didn't have to do so.

Sanji on the other hand thinks Aokiji is out to hurt or catch her, and has a reason to want to kick Aokiji's rear end, even if it's a misplaced one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GoatLord posted:

Why do you have to hate someone to be the person that fights them? All strawhats would have the same motivation to fight Aokiji if he got in their way. Robin is the only one with a history with him.

She is, but their history isn't really particularly hostile. I think she would be reluctant to fight him without good reason, whereas Sanji would be eager to have a shot at him. I think Luffy and Zoro would be too, just less so as Sanji is more hotheaded about anyone he thinks hurts any women, and this is someone I imagine he still thinks hurt or threatened Robin.

Add that to the fire/ice thing and I think he's a good match for a fight with Aokiji, better than Robin who has tense respect and acquaintance with him. I don't think it's a thing where you have to hate a person to fight them, Luffy and Koby are destined to fight and they are friends after all, it's just a thing that Sanji makes more sense thematically and historically to me to be his opponent than Robin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The world's smallest hawk lives in there, obviously. It'll come out when Zoro is in trouble, to mock him in Mihawk's voice - spurring him on to do better through the power of annoyance and obstinate refusal to lose. It also does a good Sanji. It's Perona impersonation is rubbish despite repeated practice. This just annoys Zoro more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The eye just got lost while Zoro wasn't looking. He'll find it in Raftel.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just wait till you start to think about the postcards it's going to send to Zoro.

Eye miss you.

Wish you could see this.

Here's looking at you, Marimo. (I figure Sanji's eye came along for the ride. Everyone needs some company after all).

And so on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Additionally Whitebeard in his Prime couldn't kick his rear end, and Leo, who was apparently super badass, got beat by him.

Who?

The name doesn't seem familiar, and googling "One Piece Leo", all I'm seeing is a wikia entry for a fillar character from Loguetown.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

Shiki, from movie 10. It's cannon because Oda included it into the manga.

Oh right, I just didn't realize Leo was refering to Shiki. Thanks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shadow0 posted:

If your favorite before was Sanji, it's now Zoro after this arc. Everyone else's training has had a positive impact on them except maybe Zoro's depth perception.

I still prefer him over Zoro. I'm not sure I'd say he's my favorite becuase Luffy, Franky and Brook are great too, but am I the only one not getting bent out of shape about this transgender thing? I just don't think Oda has any bone against them and is playing it for laughs, so I don't see any offense to take. It's like when stand up's make jokes about various races and ethnicities. I don't think they have any actual beef, so I just laugh at the joke and forget it.

Anony Mouse posted:

How exactly do oars, paddlewheels and sails work underwater I don't even

Why would they work any differently underwater than on the surface of the water? Even then, oars and paddles only do any work when they're under the surface of the water, so it's basically exactly the same thing. Sails would still work as well I would imagine, given that the water currents would push against them and create pressure, thus moving them forward. Turn sail to dictate direction. Trim for speed etc. I'm sure there are more efficent methods of travelling underwater, but I can't see why any of those methods wouldn't generate propulsion for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh yea, that makes sense. Well, now I feel dumb :suicide:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

There's a phrase floating around that I think sums it up well: Intent Is Not Magical. Not ~meaning~ any harm doesn't mean you don't CAUSE harm when you write or say (insert horribly offensive thing here), and you can't wave your good/harmless intentions around as an excuse for not acknowledging or apologizing for the fact that you have hurt someone. You don't have to be a cartoonish racist/homophobe/etc before things you do or say or make jokes about count as -ist.

I had a big long post typed up to say why I disagreed with you, twice, but it started to feel a little bit too political and argumentative for an anime board each time. Suffice to say, I disgree, though I'd be willing to apologize if I thought had offended someone by my words or actions in just about any case. I don't think Oda has any -ism against transgender folk based on Impel Down though so I don't care that he's making fun of them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

You don't care that he's making fun of them because you're not trans. That's fine for you, by all means, but can you seriously not see how someone who is might get offended by this? People read silly manga like One Piece to get distracted from reality, not to be reminded that a decent chunk of humanity literally thinks they're less than human.

I don't get offended when people tell jokes about the Irish so long as I don't think they're nationalist against Irish. Which is to say never, since I've never met someone I think actually has one. It's not a big thing these days. I don't mind when I flick past the comedy channel and see Chris Rock telling jokes about white folks either. I even watch some of it if I'm bored occasionally.

Yes, I can see why someone might get offended but I don't think Oda has an issue with transgender folk based on Impel Down so I think those people should simply learn to let it go. Part of being an accepted group is having a joke made at your expense. I realise that sounds callous, but self censorship and what not for fear of offending someone, somewhere bugs me and I'd prefer to target people who've displayed actual phobias or beligerence against a specific group than someone who has shown respect towards them, even if he tells a joke at their expense too.

Edit: I should probably add that I'm mostly going off the manga here, and have only seen some of the episodes that feature this stuff - not all of them, because I only watch the occasional episode.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 9, 2012

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

The "joke" here is basically the trans equivalent of "haha, those black people, with their huge lips and their stealing watermelons and going to jail all the time. Am I right? Hilarious!"

The joke seems to be mainly in Sanji's reactions, and not the way transgender/crossdressers look. Their look is just overblown in the same way everything in One Piece is overblown.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

When we had the last discussion about this, I was still leaning partly towards the joke being at Sanji's expense for being a -phobic jerk too. Some of it is, or can be read that way (most of the blood donors gag) but honestly not much of it. When the okama themselves are portrayed as negative stereotypes, it's not about Sanji's reactions anymore.

I don't think the joke is "oh look at what a phobic dick Sanji is", I think it's much more simple and just "how overblown can we make Sanji's reaction to something he doesn't like". It's not at the expense of anyone, it's just the best way to get an over the top reaction of that character - because that's what his personal tick is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

His personal tick is that he's horribly traumatized from two years spent running from aggressive trans/gay people who wanted to convert him, and that he finds them so repulsive that he (manga spoiler) gets a powerup from it.

That "something he doesn't like" is trans/gay men. His personal tick is being a -phobe. I don't know how else you can read it.

I read it that his personal tick is loving women, if not being an outright lech - and that this is just an extension of that. He's horrified by being fooled (as he sees it) or come on to by men instead of the sexy women he imagines.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

Which is amazingly textbook trans/homophobia. Not being interested and turning someone down, or whatever, is one thing. This is something else.

Yes, it's blowing his reaction up as large as possible for comic effect. Just like Nami gets greedy when it comes to money, even if it means stealing from people or charging her friends money for simple favors. Or Zoro getting lost and cutting up some complete strangers ship and killing their dream because of it. Or Franky flashing his gonads in front of the whole town while Robin suplexes them just to get him on board. All pretty much the same in my book, because it's all about placing the person in a situation that will highlight that personal tick Oda gave the character and then blowing it's reaction up as large as possible for comedy. Why aren't you getting offended that he's a pervert that is willing to steal in to showers and spy on the women in them out of interest? Or that he only wanted the invisibility fruit so he could perv on women?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

I was talking to tsob? I probably should have quoted them to make that clearer but.

For the record I tried on women's clothes and make up several times when I was 16...maybe 17, over the course of a couple of months. It's not something I think of that often these days and I'm not sure why exactly I did it in retrospect since it's not something I ever feel a desire to do nowadays, but I did find it fun and the clothes were nice. I also envy women the sheer variety in clothes they have to choose from, where as with guys it's pretty much: jeans/t-shirt, suit or combats/t-shirt. If I could get a shot of hormones to be a woman for part of the year I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd never want it to be permanent though, because I do enjoy having a dong at the end of the day. I understand, at least to some degree where these folk are coming from. I'm not saying I understand their pain or anything, by the way, because I never did it in public or suffered any persecution for having done so - but I do understand the desire to want to.

mushroom_spore posted:

...because it's in no way relevant to a conversation about Oda writing the okama?

It is relevant to him writing in an offensive manner though, because that's him being offensive towards women's rights.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So are you saying that all potrayals of transpeople or crossdressers in media should be universally positive until they've become unremarkable in society?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

I feel like this is a trick question. What do you mean by "universally positive?"

It isn't meant to be at least. Oda has already potrayed crossdressers and transgender folks quite positively in Impel Down. They were good people caught in a bad situation and fought like hell when the time came. They were sympathetic and likable, even if they dressed like characters out of the Rocky Horror Show. Some of them didn't ask to be transgender, but they all seemed quite happy with it regardless of whether they asked or not and they were potrayed as positively as any other random side character Oda's ever made. I'm just wondering if you feel that no-one should be allowed use them as the butt of any kind of joke until they've become so commonplace in society that no-one will think anything of them being laughed at?

Fair enough, if you do feel that way, I'll disagree with you and find it to be a very defensive (if not outright silly) stance to take - but I'm not trying to lead you in to any other kind of trap. I just don't think it's a realistically feasible one. Everyone should be open to being made in to a joke - that's equality after all.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 9, 2012

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

When real living people are no longer murdered because people believe that the content of those specific jokes reflects reality, we'll talk.

That counts out any kind of racial or religious jokes though. Probably for the duration of human society. Sadly.

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm not about to say Oda is a feminist, but there's a very important reason why no, the peeping tom joke is still not relevant to this conversation at all: with the okama, the narrative itself takes Sanji's side. They actually did aggressively pursue him and try to convert him against his will, and dialogue in the Impel Down scene (when another man is forcibly changed against his will) implies that they have a reputation for this. Sanji's reaction to all this "trauma" is treated as comedic and over-the-top but ultimately justified and something we're supposed to sympathize with (aside from brief moments like Usopp scolding him for not thanking the blood donors).

Endorph posted:

I'm fine with jokes and such. All I'm asking is that the jokes not be... iunno, so demonizing. The fact that Impel Down was kinda decent doesn't change the fact that that Oda literally introduced an island of crossdressers and transgenders that want to sexually assault men. All men. Run from the people that are different from you. It is implied that they're literally going to rape you.

I avoided answering Mushroom_Spore for a few minutes on this one, since basically, I have no response to that - beyond the gut feeling that Oda doesn't have any hate towards them. And yes I know you think that doesn't matter, but I think it does. I guess I just can't agree with it since it all just looks to me to be set up specifically so that Sanji can throw wild expressions and be funny - a joke that the anime is possibly taking past the line (again, not see a good chunk of the anime only stuff). On top of that, I fully expect those guys (or some of their friends) to reappear later on down the line and kick some rear end. It's Oda, that's his thing.

I should probably try and catch the rest of the episodes that show this stuff repeatedly to see if I really do think it's still unoffensive or not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mushroom_spore posted:

I feel no great sense of loss over not being able to make -ist jokes, personally.

I do, because those are some of the best material. Although admittedly, only really when it's pointing out how those -isms are bad in some way. There are still a lot of good jokes or comedic moments made by stand ups and media regarding the differences in various socities, regiligions and ethnicities and blanket banning anything regarding race, religion or difference basically would end up with pretty dull tv. It's the differences that make things interesting after all.

mushroom_spore posted:

You have a gut feeling. We have the actual text.

Whether he actively and consciously hates them is irrelevant, because again, intent is not magical. If I am not paying attention while I stomp down the street and end up stomping down on your foot, breaking three of your toes, I don't get a free pass to keep stomping on you over and over again because I didn't ~mean~ to hurt you.

By the same token though, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to walk down the street without staring down at the ground obsessively so as to make sure you never hurt anyone. Also, personally, so long as you apologized I wouldn't actually dislike you for it. Or think that you have a hate for toes. This metaphor is starting to go stale pretty quickly though.

More to the point though I suppose would be that I would expect an apology and probably some kind of compensation to pay bills. I think that Oda using them rather postively for a stretch (how long did they appear for?) in Impel Down fits the bill in this over done metaphor as either of those, given their brevity in the manga's Fishman Island scenes. I'm just not sure it fits for the anime writers and will have to look in to it at some point. I didn't go in to this argument thinking about the anime at all though, and got caught up in talking about something I'm not fully versed in for a lot longer than I really should have any right to do so.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

socialsecurity posted:

I expected more replies in here about how ridiculous the bust sizes have gotten.

I think we all grew used to that particular failing of Odas a long time ago. It's quiet weird when you look at the first few volumes and see the slim, tomboyish Nami and then compare it to how she's...grown over the years admittedly, but it's been happening with so long I doubt most people even think about it much anymore.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Purple D. Link posted:

I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to hear Brook in English, and if they'll do him justice. :ohdear:

You mean they haven't lined up Slash to voice his own skeleton already? :aaa:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lordfrikk posted:

It's not bad but it can't hold a candle to the old one which was non-stop 6 minutes of awesome.

I'm pretty sure this is in large part thanks to the music. The 6 minute one uses a single, really big, bombastic song, while the new one uses a variety of songs, all of which are only...okay. The fact the music keeps changing kind of wrecks it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why the hell are they launching a console streaming service that has a set schedule? The fact it's also dub only just makes it worse. I was excited at first, hoping it might come to Europe, but poo poo, what's the point when I have to tune in at specific times to catch an episode of a given show and it might not even be one I want to see. :downsgun:

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2012

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Senor Candle posted:

To the post above me, do you realize you just described cable?

Yea, but as Srice said, what's the point of launching a cable channel on a console streaming service? It's anachronistic as hell. Netflix style services are the way of the present, never mind the future, and Neon Alley is a step back in to the past for no good reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I prefer the implication that he invented it by observing the sea train and trying to find a way to recreate soru. Luffy's not the brightest bulb, but even idiots can hit on a good idea occasionally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Philosopher King posted:

So Usopp is like a lovely batman?

Actually I'd say he's like a good Batman, because Batman's preparations, intellect and gadgets have gotten absolutely idiotic over the decades to the point where he rarely seems to lose and most people expect him to win even against opponents like Superman. Something the actual comics back up given his win to lose ratio against people of that caliber. Usopp remains a human and interesting character because you know he's still scared inside most of the time and putting on a brave face, that a lot of the time he wins through lies and bravado as opposed to, or at least in conjunction with, gadgets and over complicated plans. He even losses on a pretty regular basis. He still acts like a person around his friends, and gives a lot of humanity to a crew of otherwise (awesome) freaks because he reacts so normally to the poo poo they do. Bruce Wayne is nothing but a disguise in many ways to Batman, and it makes the character feel less than human because he's so superhumanely focused and attached to his cause.

Not that Batman doesn't have stories that portray him better than that mind, across a variety of mediums, but there's a lot of bad Batman stuff out there and it's somewhat colored perception of the character over the years.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shadow0 posted:

What, like the explosive tree wolf thing?

No, more like having rockets that can take you to space buried under your mansion, plans to take down all your friends in horrific ways should they ever stop being so friendly and being a master of almost all the various scientific fields, most every martial art ever, the world's greatest detective, versed in several languages and various other disciplines.

Usopp being able to make some explosives and provide a couple of fun gadgets that make Oda's job as a story teller easier aren't going to result in him taking down Kizaru, becoming a genius in practically every discipline imaginable or anything of the sort. He's still limited and human when compared to the people around him, even with a bag full of cool poo poo. Batman doesn't have that constraint and is in many ways more superhuman/inhuman and powerful than most of the rest of the world of American Superheroes, up to and including Superman, a guy who can tug planets around and take a comfortable stroll on the surface of a star or black hole.