Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Notwithstanding his new magic eye, he will still manage to get lost in a straight corridor.
My favorite Zoro scene is still back in Water 7, when he and some other Straw Hats storm Iceberg's mansion/house thing. He's following Nami down a hallway, and when she turns right, he turns left. Gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Has anyone watched the "3D Straw Hat Chase" movie yet?

It's not exactly high cinema, but I thought it was a pretty fun adventure. The 3D was neat at times and the ending action sequence had enough cool hits for me. And there was a dog, I liked the dog. I still can't wait for the next big animated feature though, I hope they can pull off another "Strong World."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OrangeGuy posted:

Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.
We Are holds a special place in my heart, of course, but I was also a big fan of Kokoro no Chizu, Brand New World, and Jungle P.

The new one is definitely one of the best though, if not my new favorite. "Ichi Ni Sunshine Yon" is entirely too much fun to say.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can't wait to see this episode! :D

With the new episodes licensed, does that mean they're going to start putting up new dubbed episodes on the site again? I don't remember what the last dubbed episode was so I can't tell. A friend of mine who I got into the show (but doesn't watched subbed anime :smith:) has been waiting for new ones for a long time now so I'll be happy if that's the case.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, as far as movies go, 6th will always be my favorite for the art style and the darker tone. It's rare to see in One Piece, and I thought it was really cool.

I have a lot of love for 4 and 10 as well. Both are great and are like their own full story arcs. 4 is especially perfect for that. I like 2 as well, since it's another fun adventure, but it's not as well done as the others.

5 was like "What if One Piece was a JRPG?"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Momomo posted:

There's also the point that all the trans people in One Piece are meant to be horrifying. All of them. Even though Ivankov is a cool person, everything about his design is supposed to be disturbing. I don't really expect Oda to be great with any gender that's not male (he did afteral draw a scene in which Nami is essentially raped in a shower), but they doesn't make it any better.
Well, all of them except for Bon Clay and Inazuma.

Well, Bon Clay post-Alabasta at least.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is a little off topic, or a lot off topic, but has anyone in here played the demo for Asura's Wrath? I checked it out the other day, and there's something about it that I think should probably resonate with any One Piece fan. Here is a video of the game itself.

As soon as that music kicked in, the scene became infinitely cooler to me. I know the music is classic and isn't exclusive to OP or anything, but I think being able to connect it to such an awesome scene does seem to make everything around it better by association. It's just another reason I keep watching the anime every week despite the ups and downs in its pacing and art.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

Took me a second, but that definitely made me laugh out loud.

Why does it seem that Chopper can change his hat he was given as long as he maintains the pink background with the X? I would have figured the hat itself would have been the important part.
I think Oda said he's just wearing other hats or hat covers over his original top hat. It's still in there, he's just stylin' now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

This was mentioned in the manga thread, but funimation is starting season 4 distribution finally. The first set is up on amazon for pre-order, and I found three new episodes on hulu. Not sure when they add new episodes to hulu though.

EDIT: DAVY BACK.

I was really excited for a second, but the episodes are subtitled. :( Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm psyched to see the Davy Back arc dubbed.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't know Vicious was Wakamoto. Bebop, like Baccano!, is one of those shows that I saw dubbed first and thought it was good enough that I never really needed to see it subbed.

One Piece I've already seen subbed in its entirety. I just like watching the Funi dub to compare. :) No one can ever surpass the original Japanese Luffy, but I still enjoy watching the dub's versions.

My only complaint is both the dubbed anime and the translated manga both feel the need to use a lot of sailing terms/phrases. It's not bad, but it can sometimes sound corny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dukeofdummies posted:

Man if anyone ever does a dub of Franky they better be able to do the SUUUUPER right or god damnit I could not stand it.
No one can match the original, he's just too Super. But having played the English version of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, I have high hopes if they use the same actor. He did the overly-emotional and cool sides of Franky both well, in my opinion.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

No love for the newest episode?

Most of it was just setting up the fight arrangements, but while it lasted, Usopp and Chopper proved once again that their teamwork moments are the best.

I'd also be more than happy with the new Horn Point being used more often. It has a really cool design, and especially when compared to his default form, it better shows off how he's aged and become more confident after his training. That said, I hope he'll reveal some way of using the old version of Horn Point one day. Without it, he only has Walk Point to prove that he is, in fact, a reindeer.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

You should be so lucky. I'm getting inundated with anti obama ads.
Those are at least relevant to this arc's politics. What Jimbe forgot to mention this episode was that one of Akainu's first actions upon being promoted was to repeal Sengokucare.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

More songs need emoticons in their lyrics.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

*Episode title card finally signals new content*

Dohoho. It's true tho sadly. The slowness really takes away from how good OP is each week. I don't even full screen it these days, I just have it on while I surf so I can keep up and watch the parts I'm really looking forward to. Even tho the content is lacking, the music and voice acting still make those anticipated moments great.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

Did anyone notice there was a new One Piece special "Luffy's Episode: Adventure on Hand Island"? It came out back in December, but I don't remember anyone posting about it. I just found it.

I've been aware of it, but I haven't seen subs for it yet. :( Unless I've been missing them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Really? That's a shame, I'm a big fan of Kokoro no Chizu and would have liked to see what they would have done with it.

That said, I can't wait for some new dubbed One Piece! I like the dub and love hearing the voices they cast for new characters. And I like the work Patrick Seitz did for Franky in Unlimited Adventure, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the anime, if he stays cast in that role.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

Seitz is still Franky, I'm not huge on his voice but ultimately it doesn't bother me since they've only dubbed up to parts where he's still a "villain" character and the fact that he was literally made with his Japanese VA in mind.

Yeah, the latter part is most important. I'm really glad that Seitz is doing his own thing with Franky rather than trying at all to imitate Kazuki Yao, which nobody in the world would be able to do well. I haven't seen the anime eps, but Seitz captured a lot of what I like about Franky in his own way in the game, so I'll stay optimistic til I see the later episodes.

I'm wondering about CP9's voices too. Kaku was in the game too and he was fine, but Lucci was harder to hear and judge.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

They've dubbed almost up to Enis Lobby, so here you go:
Franky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2qRqEfqKk

CP9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKUmv09cjiA

I'm still not sure how I feel about Franky's voice. Still better than Chopper's I guess.

Oh snap. I lost track of the dub way back when they were stuck for so long in G8, I had no idea they'd gotten so far! I got my wish quicker than I imagined, thanks! :) I definitely like Lucci's voice. That Franky scene is such a tease though, right after the dance intro!

Seeing those old clips from the anime make me miss how good this series was though. It might be the same paced now as it was then, I have no idea, but it feels like it went faster and was a lil better animated/drawn back then.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Autumncomet posted:

Here's a higher quality version of the opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSvrBxzX4o

Also, is it just me, or does 591 on the Funimation website still have "We Go" as the opening?
Yep. They said on their Facebook page that they were posting the new episode but couldn't deliver the new Opening yet. Maybe they have to get the rights to the music or something?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat. :( 81 is a hell of an age to be voice acting, but it was an appropriately awesome role at least.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Petiso posted:

My favourite ones are 2 and 4 (still haven't seen Strong World and Z), I feel they're the most faithful to the series and look like abridged canon story arcs.

I personally love 6, but setting that one aside I completely agree. 4 was tied for first or a strong second behind 6 for the longest time because it felt perfectly like a short canon arc. I liked Gasparde and Shuraiya was awesome, it had a lot of good character moments, and the finishing blow Bazooka still gives me chills. It could use some more action for the rest of the crew, but as it is I still love it.

I highly recommend Strong World and Z though. They both look great and are a hell of a lot of fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Obviously the Darkness Fruit also slows down/stops aging. Duh. I mean, accelerates it. Then stops it. Yeah.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's good, as long as you haven't heard him in Japanese. Sorry, but America just doesn't sound as good in English as it does in Japanese. We can't actually do such awesome things with the 'r' sound, just ask any Spanish speaker.

Nobody will ever be Kazuki Yao, but I'm personally big fan of the English voice. I heard it years back though, when One Piece: Unlimited Adventure came out. He's got a good mix between his normal Franky and his crying manly moved Franky. But I'm also biased because I want to like the dub.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Has anyone watched Funimation's dub of Strong World? I thought it was pretty great, and they picked a fantastic dub voice for Brook. :yohoho:

Whoa, what? This is out/available? I enjoy the Funi OP dub, I'd definitely be interested in checking this out.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I adore the anime's voice acting and music but the rough animation and ungodly slow pacing makes it a chore to watch sometimes. I haven't followed it much since Punk Hazard. I gotta go back and watch some of the highlights one day.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's the loving fastest manga out there, even to this day it's kinda insane just how much stuff can happen in a single chapter.

A good example was the most recent flashback, just six panels, maybe half a page, still made people cry. You can read it in like 20 seconds. I can't wait to see how the anime fucks it up.

One Pace, the series one that trims and speeds up the anime, not the manga itself. The manga is def hella fast and awesome for it. And even when the chapters don't significantly advance the story, they're entertaining as hell.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The last One Piece movie was at the end of 2012. Hope we get some news soon. I know Oda doesn't need any more distractions but I do so enjoy them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

For whatever reason, both the Pirate King and Shanks passed on their hat to Luffy. I'm wondering what they couldn't do that Luffy will. I also now just realized that Shanks isn't a D.
I think there's still a strong possibility that Shank's crew with fight Luffy's. I guess if either case, yeah, sacrifice is pretty much certain. Oda does surprise the audience quite often though.

But what if: Re D. Hair Shanks??

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Baby 5's fight and backstory were two of my favorite surprises of this arc.

Also I haven't been following the anime for a while but I watched this episode on a whim and oh man did I love the intro with Luffy vs Bellamy. Their first fight, waaay back in episode 151 (memorized that number due to watching it so many times), remains one of my absolute favorite One Piece moments.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good lord. I watched (skipped through*) this episode because it was one of my absolute favorite chapters, and are they really adapting less than a chapter per episode now? :( That's brutal. Still, such a moving backstory for such a hard boiled man.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The stealing of the shadow, definitely. Remember the Straw Hats half-melting away in the sun at the end of Thriller Bark? Though I guess at that point their souls were part of Mega-Moria, so I guess either could technically be possible, but I'd lean to the former.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

When the hell was the last time you watched Enies Lobby because I remember even as it was airing that the pacing was poo poo.

It wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, but it was still pretty bad. The part when they jump over the bridge and inserted like 5+ episodes of crew backstory recaps, I believe INCLUDING the recently covered Robin's, was awful. But I still watched regularly up until about Punk Hazard, then I couldn't take it anymore.

I still love early One Piece though. I recently started playing Pirate Warriors 3 with a friend of mine and while the early missions hit nostalgia over-all, it mostly makes me fondly remember when I first watched the anime. The early arcs are still so great.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone else have a single favorite episode? I watched from the beginning up til around the middle of Punk Hazard and mine is still #151. I won't spoil the content but that was the coolest, hypest poo poo ever when I first saw it and for some reason it remains my top, even though there are plenty of other arguably cooler or more emotional ones before and after it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Sabat but Nakai is Zoro to me and the way he shouts is the best.

I agree that Sinclair is definitely the best of the bunch tho. I haven't seen much of the dub but the clip someone posted of his "Death is never an apology" speech blew me away.

I was also a big fan of Franky in Unlimited Adventure but I haven't seen him much in the show. I like what I've heard though, it's not as good as the original but it's distinct and better than trying to copy perfection.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I looked up the (Funimation) dub of One Piece for shits and gigles and it is loving horrible. Jesus Christ!

I think it ranges from decent to good, but regardless of anyone's opinion it is literal multiverses better than the previous dub.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think watching the show first really helped me enjoy the book. The voice cast is unbelievably good, and being able to read in their voices improves the experience tremendously, for me at least.

Absolutely. I'm sure I'd love One Piece either way, but watching it first and keeping up with it as a companion piece up until Dressrosa cemented the music and the voices in my head and it improves the experience of reading the manga. It's weird sometimes to think that since I'm three arcs out now, there are a lot of characters I can't put a distinct voice to anymore.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Truga posted:

My favourite OP episodes are definitely still from 1 and up 150 or so. There are many later things I really liked too, but those are the best IMO.

There's a lot to like after that but I think that was the strongest time as well. Funny enough, episode 151 (Luffy VS Bellamy, Shichibukai/Whitebeard Introduction) remains my favorite episode of One Piece so far.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is a great scene but man, since they went all the way with Sogeking and the Ginyu Force back in the day, I would've killed for an old Showa-style sentai insert song for Germa 66.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

So ahhh Big Mama is loving scary.

I felt a bit bad for Totto country, imagine living under her psychotic rule.

It'd be terrifying living in a country with a ruler who is demonstrably loving insane and completely driven by their own greed and arrogance and yet protected from any and all repercussions due to being born with insane amounts of power and having amassed an army of brainwashed supporters.

Thankfully that sort of thing only happens in cartoons!