Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

I've got a theory that Usopp accidentally ate a devil fruit and Sogeking is the manifestation of his power.

I much prefer Usopp as the Batman of the group.

He was already the gadget guy, and now's he's spent years training with the best martial artists in the world a guy in a beetle suit.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought the cursed one was the one that got eaten by a dude with the rust-rust fruit in the Water Seven arc.

I'd have to go back and check, but I thought the Rust guy took out the "not quite as high quality but still pretty good" sword he got as a reward for buying the cursed sword.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Liar posted:

filler

Pretty sure everything in this episode was right from the manga?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Nope, Brook pouring the water on himself didn't happen in the manga, some of Caribou's speech to his brother was added, and everything about Brook's final song was new (thought it was really nice.)

To me, filler is the poo poo we got during previous arcs where half the episode was flashbacks to three episodes before that.

30 seconds of Brook splashing himself with a water bottle is not filler in my book.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, if you can get through the calm belts, it would be pretty trivial to go around Reverse Mountain.

The two things stopping you going through the Calm Belts are:

- No wind/waves to propel you
- Giant gently caress-off sea monsters

Roger would clearly have no problem with the monsters, being the toughest motherfucker ever, and if he's had as many adventures as Luffy has, it's not inconceivable that, like the 1000 Sunny, his ship had some alternative propulsion methods.

But we're arguing a pretty trivial point.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

tsob posted:

I think we all grew used to that particular failing of Odas a long time ago. It's quiet weird when you look at the first few volumes and see the slim, tomboyish Nami and then compare it to how she's...grown over the years admittedly, but it's been happening with so long I doubt most people even think about it much anymore.

Pretty sure socialsecurity is making a joke about a mermaid princess that is large enough to have breasts larger than a man. :ssh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno why they made it so tense. They already knew that Arlong and his crew used to part of Jimbei's crew before they ever met Jimbei. Nami probably knew it since she was a little kid.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between logic and emotions.

Nami was tormented for a good portion of her life by Arlong. Her foster-mother was loving killed in front of her by him. She's largely gotten over her irrational hatred of all Fishmen, but, still, to hear Jimbei basically say 'everything bad that happened to you is my fault' is going to make her tense.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Catching up on the anime after wandering off because I'd already seen the flashback in the manga.

This was the best time to come back in. That leadup at the end of 553...I am excited for tonight's episode.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chopper's powers aren't "normal" because he's not playing by the normal fruit rules. He's used chemistry and biology to basically mutate his fruit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

The Human Human Fruit grants human powers. Horns are not human powers. Nor is tunneling. :colbert:

Chopper has totally chemically-hacked his fruit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Robin's abilities may be broken as hell, but that's countered by one glaring weakness, if I understand it correctly: her duplicated limbs transmit the damage to the actual limb.

So she can make a bunch of duplicates, but if even one of them gets shot, they all go down.

Basically she'll always be the "attacking from the shadows or in moments of surprise" type, not just make a 10,000 strong Robin army and steamroll the enemy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You guys are forgetting the easiest way: destroy his afro and you destroy his reunion and his dream.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't forget the fight with Luffy where he utilized all the dials. A Breathe Dial full of explosive gas? Hell. yes.

Usopp's strength is in versatility. We've only seen the plants used once each. When it will really get good is if he starts using the same plants in stranger, more creative ways.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? Usopp's way of fighting, even from the beginning, has been lies catching his opponents off guard. From bluffing with fake hammers to lighting his opponent on fire to pretending to run away and/or actually running away.

I'm not saying he could beat Luffy if both were having their best day, but he's adaptable and could probably give him a run for his money, given enough preparation time, even post- time skip.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

It's definitely worth looking into. It's so much better to just sit down and read 20 or so pages of lovingly illustrated manga than to sit through the same material cheaply animated for half an hour. Oda really is a very good artist who puts a lot of obvious love into every panel to make it feel fluid and alive, while the farmed out animation teams that do the anime... don't quite have the same touch.

The only problem with reading the manga is that the fan translations are really so-so, while the professional TV ones are pretty good. I've been both reading and watching the series as it progresses, and it sometimes took took waiting six months for the anime version to come out so I could say "Oh! That's what so-and-so was trying to say!"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seriously considering doing that, now that I know about it. Thanks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Basically it was an exploding shell with a cool effect behind it. And he's had those before, remember? Off the top of my head, when he fired his slingshot at the flag during the Enies Lobby fight, it looked like a burning phoenix.

I'm assuming, of course, that had the nose not gotten hit, the wolf itself would have not done jack diddly.

The reason his fight in Fishman Island seemed straightforward was that it was... Oda is basically showing you the simple, straightforward uses for all of his new ammo. But Usopp's ability is unconventional tactics. This is a guy who used wine as a flammable material, ketchup as a blood-fakeout, and two cooking pans and some paper mache as a fake giant hammer. Basically, expect to see those same ammos used in really weird ways in the future.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 15, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Am I the only one that finds the faces unfunny and annoying?

They're just overused, I think. More sporadically, they are more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I liked G8 because it played with some stuff that, at the time, the non-filler story hadn't done much with.

- A competent marine commander who cared about his men.
- Robin going deep-cover spy.
- Chopper playing both doctor and mustache-twirling villain.
- Luffy going against a crowd of normals, rather than one super-powered guy.

Now, if you'd already seen that stuff further in the story in the manga or anime, I could see why you wouldn't care.