Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

In the manga did they(manga spoilers) show off Caribou's ability at this point? I could have sworn that they held off until later.

Yeah. In the manga, Caribou didn't show his ability until after the real Straw Hats had already left Sabaody.

I did like seeing the new rookie pirates fighting, that also wasn't shown in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

seigfox posted:

The fact that he seems to have gained some haki related abilities during the War of the Best (is that what its called?) reinforces the idea that he'll be a rival or opponent of some sort later on.

Not to mention the fact that he's being trained by Garp directly, even Luffy didn't have that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Hell, even the people he and his crew do beat up get that. Look at Mr. 3.

Yeah, just look at Wapol. He went from being the hated leader of a backwater town to being a world famous multi-millionaire toy/steel baron with everything he ever wanted, even his own country to rule over after the timeskip.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

bondster posted:

The anime sort of dropped the ball a bit by adding That Hordy Jones flashback with the human slaver.

This won't make a whole lot of sense if your not reading the manga, but it hosed up because (small manga spoilers) it kinda defeats the purpose of Hordy being a product of his enviroment and hating humans for no real reason. Now with that flashback there is a tangible reason for hating humans: They tried to kidnap him and friends when they were kids

Manga reader here just chiming in on how messed up that is. Bad filler is one thing but this is a new low...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Can anyone tell me, without any specific spoilers, how political the next arc ("Punk Hazard", I guess? don't know anything about it)?

It definitely gets into some of the consequences of the World Governments fixation on weapons of mass destruction, plus the slow-burning fallout from Marineford.

Also I'd have to second the thought on DBZ. Dragonball had that shonen adventure stuff going where they were traveling the world and seeing crazy sights and fighting crazy enemies, but then DBZ comes along and suddenly the actual setting becomes absolutely pointless because every character and just fly/teleport anywhere they want instantly and anyone who dies is just magicked back to life in the end even though there are rules meant to prevent this but then they just find ways around them so who cares.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Have they done that? I haven't seen any of the One Piece "Arc" movies.

When they did the Drum Island arc as a movie they included Robin and Franky despite the fact that it took place before they joined the crew.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Yeah, Arlong Park was a much shorter, more straightforward story. Alabasta was a huge storyline that encompassed several other storylines and had numerous plots alongside the main one. It was a terrible idea to try and compress all that into one movie.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

EDIT: Whoops wrong One Piece thread.

At any rate I'm glad the animes finally getting to the fighting, I've been waiting to see how it looks in motion! For as bad as the filler has gotten these past couple arcs, I've still really enjoyed the action quite a bit.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I understand why this show is padded out the way it is, but it's crushing to watch every new episode with basically 12 minutes roughly, of new content that's moving forward and not filler (Or the post-intro and recap)

It makes you really hope for a fan cut at some point, like they did with Marineford Abridged.

I've been pretty disappointed with how they're treating the New Fishman Pirate fights in the anime, the animation quality is so inconsistent. Like 15 minutes of guys just bobbing up and down while running sounds play and then suddenly they bust out like 30 seconds of movie-quality animation for one little sequence and it's really jarring.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

I watched the Marineford arc recently with my little brother because he was so excited to see the fights animated and :smith:

Are we confirmed for filler following Fishman Island or is it just padding of the next arc?

I doubt it, the way they transition into the next arc would make it pretty much impossible throw in a filler arc unless it was a flashback or something.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Well, Film Z is also between Fishman Island and the next arc and the anime managed to stick a filler arc between Loguetown and entering Reverse Mountain. v:shobon:v

I don't wanna give away too much but in this case it'd be like if they had thrown in a filler arc while the Merry was flying up Reverse Mountain.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Oh, I follow the manga and I really want to get to Punk Hazard too, but I also don't want to see the pacing ruined. :smith:

Yeah, I'd much rather have filler arcs too. Some of them weren't bad. G8 was great, I thought the Ice Hunter stuff was okay, and the one with the giant beetle wasn't awful...Wow that was pretty backhanded actually, but God they're still better than 20 minutes of flashbacks or wide shots of dudes bouncing up and down between two frames while the same stock "group of men running" sound effect plays.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Vander Decken is really good at living. Luffy's Jet attack didn't keep him down, nor a stab to the chest. In fact, he seemed completely over it by the time he was back to screwing things up. I think Oda should have just let him die from the stab wound, being unconscious because he fell over from an axe he was carrying anyway is kind of silly in my opinion.

I think that was the joke. After all that he only passed out by tripping over something.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Hey wait a minute...

They already did the Giant With Mini Mini no Mi thing in one of the video games. What gives?

Also how do I remember that....

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I think a lot of the problems the anime has would be solved if they went in seasons so the manga would have a few months to get ahead, but apparently it just doesn't work like that in Japanese television.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've been aware of it, but I haven't seen subs for it yet. :( Unless I've been missing them.

There are subs for it out there.

I liked Episode of Luffy personally. The remake of Luffy's flashback was pretty well done and seeing Coby and Helmeppo post-timeskip is pretty great as well!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

Also apparently Tashigi finally fell victim to the same balloon boob pandemic that's swept so much of the One Piece world.

The weird thing is she wasn't even that bad in the manga. This one's squarely on the anime team for once.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Liar posted:

I wonder why they're starting so far in.

From what I recall, last time One Piece was on tv they only had the rights up through the end of Skypeia.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Franky NO.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

My Verdict: A pretty cool movie. Animation was pretty great, filled with cameos, interesting characters, the lot.

My biggest gripe with the movie is that it moves at such a quick pace that it's kinda hard to grasp whats going on at times. Zoro and Sanji's fights were so fast and short that it was kinda hard to tell what was even happening, or like how they set sail for the enemy island and within seconds were blowing up enemy warships.

Also, getting to see Brook as a kid was pretty cool.

Anyway, I still think it's a pretty fun movie. I think I liked Strong World better, though.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Astro Ambulance posted:

Maybe it turns black for Luffy and Z because they are more skilled in it's use? Or maybe the people making the movie thought it would be cool.

Nope. They added a lot of effects for the movie but I'm pretty sure the black coloration is a universal thing for Armament Haki.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

tsob posted:

Luffy, Magellan and Mr. 3 can never change their bodies so they have no internal organs and are composed only of rubber, poison or wax - full proper logias like Smoker and Ceaser can.

Well Magellan and Mr 3 are not literally made of poison and wax, they just produce it. Luffy is made of rubber but he has no control over the amount of rubberiness he has, he can't switch it off or produce more rubber like a Logia could.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Sengoku's voice actor has passed away.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

He's getting better.

I forgot how different he looked back then.

I think at the time Oda was specifically trying not to make Chopper a cute anime mascot, but then he slowly evolved into one anyway.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I like how much Usopp looks like Blackbeard in this.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

Are there any spoilers in it?

It's got some scenes from the first half of the Punk Hazard arc.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Dukeofdummies posted:

you know, I finally read some of the manga's. You are totally right. They could absolutely pack two chapters into one episode. Easily

Yeah, and that's what they did up til about Thriller Bark. Now they're so close to the manga that they're basically stuck and can't do anything about it, cause they don't go on extended breaks like TV shows in the west do.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I dunno if it'd be okay to link, but there is a group out there doing an edit called One Pace that re-edits everything into a 2 chapter per episode pace. So far they've done everything after the time skip, and they've started on stuff before the war now while they wait for new episodes to come out, as of right now they're at the start of Thriller Bark. It'll be a while before they get to Marineford, but so far they've been doing updates every few days.

As for devils fruits: It's pretty certain that the reason they use Zoan fruits on objects is because they gain sentience from the fruit. With what we know right now the only thing that'd happen if you fed a sword the fire fruit is that you'd get either a regular sword with fire powers you can't activate, or a sword made of fire that you can't touch cause its made of fire.

Also it seems likely that each devil fruit is based on a specific kind of fruit, and when a user dies the power goes into another fruit of the same type. Smiley's fruit was shaped like an apple, so they had a ton of apples nearby just to be sure it appeared there.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Just to be sure - did I miss some important development in the anime? Because you all seem to know quite a bit about the fruits and whatnot and there was literally zero info about them since Blackbeard took Whitebeard's power.

A lot of it is info that's been around for a while, plus some stuff that was implied here and there and eventually confirmed by Oda. The idea that fruits regenerate is something that's been implied for a long time but it wasn't outright shown how it worked until this arc.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

We just got a good example when Tashigi was in Smokers body and couldn't figure out how to turn into smoke. Every other time we've seen a Logia user they've trained for years to the point that they can go intangible on instinct.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The whole "Shanks being a Yonko"-thing confused me a bit when he showed up at Marine HQ. When does the show first mention the Yonko, and when is it mentioned that Shanks and White-Beard are members?

When Garp met up with them at Water 7 he explained what they are and specifically said that Shanks and Whitebeard were members. Kaido and Big Mom's silhouettes were also shown but they weren't named until later in the series.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Now I'm just waiting for an arc that explains that Arlong got his hatred of humans from getting hosed over by the government, or being sold as a slave.

You're in luck!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

It's like I'm trying to stream a video in 1999.

Only if it crashes and there's nothing but a RealPlayer logo until you reload the page.

Anyway, are you using Adblock? From my recollection the Hulu player they user for past episodes does not like that thing at all.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

Looks like it was adblock. Apparently for older videos adblock sees it as Hulu content but for the new ones it didn't. But only on Sundays, for some insane reason. I thought it was weird that if I watched the new episode on Sunday there weren't any ads, but since it was one day a week chalked it up to weirdness.

Well the newest episode uses the regular flash player, it's only the previous episodes that use Hulu.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Oh.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense; I hate the gas thing significantly less now. I guess I am curious to see if it could kill a logia, especially a smoke one like Smoker.

A fight between Smoker and Cesar would be cool except Smoker has haki.

I also want to see Blackbeard vs Kizaru.

My dream One Piece fight is Buggy vs Law vs Very Good. Everyone's in pieces but nobody knows who did it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I always thought it was cool that Luffy was immune to bludgeoning, but vulnerable to slicing, while Buggy was immune to slicing, but vulnerable to bludgeoning. I think they make a good dichotomy or whatever. Though I suppose there are an infinite other varieties of damage.

It was also neat cause at Marineford you saw Luffy just being completely hopeless against Mihawk while Buggy wasn't afraid of him at all (until he actually tried to fight at least).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kaido is also just kind of a dick, given that he attempted to attack Whitebeard during the Marineford arc and had to be turned away by Shanks.

Also slaughtering Moria's entire crew.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Also, could someone please kill Brownbeard? I feel like he'd survive having his head chopped off.

Hey if Wapol could pull it off....

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

There are those episodes of One Piece you can watch in front of your non-anime friends, and then there are episodes like this one.

The whole "River of Boobs" scene comes to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

I'm pretty sure he fought with Hancock briefly before he fought her sisters and let himself be arrested. Jinbei he fought at Fishman Island.

He didn't really fight Hancock. He just appeared in her throne room and she used her devil fruit powers on him to no effect.