Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't read the Manga but I just googled the scene and it looks pretty accurate to me? :confused:

What was it missing, or what did it have added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
And the best ship design award goes to.... Barto Club

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I still only watch :)

The ending of last episode was a little over the top ridiculous I thought but we'll see how it plays out.

I just can't believe that random townsfolk knew the whole time but would willingly watch their families and friends get murdered without saying a word.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Everything about those wanted posters is amazing.

Luffy, one of the most wanted men of the New World has a happy and friendly picture along with a super bounty
Nami's picture was taken while she was at the pool and thought she was modeling
Zoro looks like he's wicked hung over
Sanji is chasing some woman
Usopp has the most intimidating wanted poster picture ever, and now has the title of God
Brook's poster is a loving concert flyer
Robin is ~super mysterious~ looking
God drat Chopper is eating cotton candy and has a $100 bounty which always makes me laugh
Franky's picture is actually of the robot he built

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Brooks story is pretty hosed up but the plot never dwells on it so the impact isn't felt as much as it should be.

He was stuck on a ship by himself with all his dead friends bodies for like 50 years, just waiting to die by sinking in the ocean while his boat drifted freely. Eventually he ends up on thriller bark and then has his shadow stolen and is stuck in a fog bank he can't leave.

The fact that he's only slightly crazy is miraculous.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One Piece is a real tear jerker at parts. I did not expect it going into it either.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No, I agree. I miss pre-timeskip Franky. I think he went full retard with the redesign.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The point is that pirates are selfish and only do what they want. Heroes do things for the greater good and others benefit.

Luffy and his crew is doing what they want to do, which happens to be the right thing, and people interpret that as heroism on their part.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
She did but I had completely forgotten too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Suspicious Lump posted:

Riiight that makes sense. They just appeared so not much was said about them. Still a BS power hey. I can infuse anything with a soul and control it. Why don't you infuse the island then? I wouldn't be surprised if that was her final form.

I'm really hoping his crew returns and stages a direct attack against Big Mama, making Luffy one of the Four Emperors or at least the unofficial fifth Emperor. He is at least a War Lord level pirate, having beaten 2 and befriended 2 others. That would be grand.

I hate seeing Luffy knocked around :(

He's beaten three IIRC. Crocodile, Doflamingo, and Moria.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe he ate the swim-swim fruit :pseudo:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So this weeks episode was actually pretty good. I was happy to see Brook be a badass again. Feels like that hasn't happened in a long while.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Start from the beginning! It's worth it and Crunchyroll has an HD version which makes it easier to watch.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

busfahrer posted:

I see SD and 480p, am I missing something?

edit: Ah, it's called the special edition, it's something different. Thanks!

I started watching One Piece last year and it took me like 3 months to catch up to current with it but it was an awesome watch. The earliest arcs are definitely the best so far.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
She absolutely did. Watch the last 10 or so cakes she eats. They're way bigger than they should be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zark the Damned posted:

Something else worth pointing out as per the latest episode: Eating someone transfers their devil fruit ability to you. Clearly this isn't general knowledge or there'd likely be a lot more cannibals around!

But yeah, yet another villain with a tragic backstory who would likely not have been a villain had they been given a proper upbringing.

I suspect that's somehow a hint towards how Blackbeard stole Whitebeards devilfruit power.

I'm not sure how because Whitebeard did not appear to be eaten but his body was covered by a sheet so anything is possible. Like maybe devilfruit power is stored only in your heart so if someone eats your heart they get your power. Blackbeard could have somehow eaten some of Whitebeards innards without it being visible on his exterior.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 28, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bege's evil laugh at seeing Big Mom fall to her (not) death was so perfectly done. I love that voice actor.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also it was covered earlier that the inhabitants of the island have to "donate" part of their soul every once in a while or leave the island. Those souls are collected and then implanted in the various "living" objects around the islands. The only homies that are actually from Big Moms soul is Zeus, Prometheus, and her hat, whos name I forget. That's also why Brook can't defeat them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you couldn't tell from the proportions of female characters, he has a difficult time with scale.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Im thinking he has to remain calm for it to work and Luffy's interference with his ~donut time~ finally pushed him over the edge and now he can't focus.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He could be faking it like that one slime guy from the doflamingo team.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sooooo is anybody else concerned that Jimbei is not in the OP?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fawf posted:

the gently caress, the musical numbers were the best the anime's been in forever

The first musical when they introduced Big Mom was dumb. The recent musical when you see the Sunny under attack was amazing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe the kingdom is called Alabaster because of it's inhabitants skin being unable to tan?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

My girlfriend is going through the anime right now for the first time. She's not very well versed in anime (she's seen DBZ , Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Cowboy Bebop and nothing else), and doesn't have a big desire to watch a lot of anime, but loves OP.

She just made it up to the Davy Back arc, so far Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat by far, and her favorite things about the show is the goofy faces ('shark faces' as she calls them), and that it never takes itself TOO seriously.

She also thought Bellamy was a huge edgelord and was very happy when he got chumped.

She's going to love Dressrosa where the ridiculous face is a plot point.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Julias posted:

The new Anime OP is out, and while it's interesting and cool in its it's own right, there are so many spoilers in there, including at least one major spoiler, that I feel bad for the anime watchers since they're gonna lose the surprise of so many big moments in this upcoming arc.

Came here to say this. I am an anime only watcher and it was pretty obvious that some of those moments were supposed to be big reveals.

Also it's good to see my boy Zoro again

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So is the Wano arc really good or is it just really popular because the crew goes to not-Japan?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I marathoned One Piece up to the present episode back in 2016 or so, and the Crunchyroll widescreen remasters are worth their weight in gold. I originally started watching the true originals and while the nostalgia was cool, it quickly wore off.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The thing about Nami is that her greatest strength is her intelligence, wit, and ability to manipulate others. Now that doesn't make for exciting fights, but it does make her a strong part of the crew and essential to a lot of their wins. For example: how she tamed Zeus.

Also yeah, Boa Hancock is amazing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
To be fair they probably had the same budget for a 1 minute commercial as the producers have for an entire episode, and considerably less of a time crunch.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In 2014 I watched one piece from episode one to current in just over 4 months. That was with 2 episodes a day and more on the weekends with a few marathons thrown in.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I watched One Piece in 2015 or so and it's really a tear jerker in parts. So brace yourself!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I will say I never noticed the parts that dragged when I was marathoning it. It's a much more apparent problem when you're watching week to week.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I watch it weekly :shobon:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If your ultimate attack is in the form of a dragon and your enemies attack is called "Dragon Damnation", I'm pretty sure you should go ahead and run away.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That episode was great. There were some definite slow/filler spots earlier on but if that's what it takes to get the quality of the second half of the episode, I'm for it. It's the first time in a while I was actually saddened when the "TO BE CONTINUED" popped up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There was not a lot of content to this weeks episode but boy am I excited for next weeks! The reveal was obvious but this doesn't seem like a powerup like his other gears, and I wonder if it's something he will be able to do at will, or be an only-near/at-death thing for the time being

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shadow0 posted:

I'm a bit shocked, I felt the opposite. More than usual, it felt like the same exact same sequence was used over and over and over again. The same eyes-popping-out gag was also used over and over. Half the episode was Hiyori standing there monologuing. Tons and tons of slow, lengthy flashbacks...
I was really looking forward to this episode, trying really hard to avoid spoilers, yet I enjoyed it maybe the least of any episode in a long time. I hate to be so negative, especially when everyone else seemed to enjoy it, but I was really disappointed by this episode.

My take away was about the same. It's very obvious their mission with this weeks episode was just the big reveal and nothing else, and they padded accordingly.

The initial reveal was great. I got a very Looney Toons vibe from the animation and a very The Mask feeling from Gear 5, but they repeated a lot of animation and even Luffy saying "Gear 5" enough that it definitely took away from the experience.

I also thought the action was really hard to keep up with when Luffy reflects Kaido's blast breath but I think that's probably the intent as they're trying to convey the manic chaos behind Gear 5.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Julias posted:

It mostly comes down to the specific director of the episode and how much time they have to animate it, as well as the storyboarding in someinstances. Like the director of this episode, Tatsuya Nagamine, is kind of infamous for doing a lot of padding and flashback stuff. He's kind of the "director who knows how to be efficient and get stuff done with limited time and resources". But yeah there are some inexcusable bits in this episode that are just incredibly hard to visually parse, especially if you aren't familiar with the manga chapter, that would have really benefited from just lingering on for one or two extra seconds, that felt like it should have been caught in the early stages of creating the episode.

So they hired a guy good at working on a budget to do their big reveal episode that they spent weeks hyping up and advertising? I wonder if they spent the budget on advertising instead of the episode.

Honestly they should have hired the American director again. His episode ruled and if you want to do a Looney Toons eye-popping fight then you should hire the guy who probably grew up on the cartoons.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This weeks episode is much better in my opinion. I'm enjoying the fight again but it really feels like Luffy is taking his sweet time with this fight while his friends and allies continue to die and the fire spreads. I would think he wants to win ASAP. It could just be a matter of the anime padding things out so they feel much slower than in the mange though.

The move where he reached through Kaido's eyeballs to propel himself out of his belly was horrifying