Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WhiffleballDude posted:

They re-dubbed Skypeia for the DVD releases.

Wait. What!? What's different between the two? Other than changing "king" back to "God" that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Am I high right now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMagcF26fM&feature=g-all-s&context=G29b37e4FAAAAAAAAAAA

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Man it is amazing what a new animation style and soundtrack does to make the show fresh again. I'm back to watching out of love instead of a vague sense of obligation and wanting to see certain key scenes in motion.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have now watched One Piece Stampede. It is bad.

In fact it’s kind of incredible how badly it fails on every level. It’s a bad idea that uses bad characters to tell a bland, predictable story that makes no drat sense on any level. Oh, and also it’s completely unwatchable because the editing is so tight it feels like you’re watching it in fast forward. Characters almost interrupt each other constantly and shots are cut so short your brain can’t register what just happened half the time. It’s like they had a two hour movie that the money guys decided after production wrapped needed to be 30% shorter.

Very disappointing because I really liked Film Gold recently, which actually felt like a proper OP arc and did more than just “Bad guy shows up. Luffy beats bad guy”.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

limeicebreakers posted:

Is it not enough to see Hancock, kick super hard?

No, actually. I expect more effort to be put into a film than just having a character I know be on screen and saying their catch phrase. Particularly from this franchise which has proven itself capable of more.

That said even by that metric it’s not that great. Yes, it’s nice to have literally all the favs around but what that ultimately translated into here was everybody but Luffy and Ussop getting about four seconds of screen time to just do that thing you already saw them do in the series proper and then bow out. No real thought was put into how a fight with this many insane variables would actually play out which was a shame because with this setup you could have had all sorts of cool combo moves and weird turns in the battle. I spent half the movie yelling at the cast to use their brains for four seconds because there were at least half a dozen characters present for which physical strength doesn’t matter. Have Perrona make Bullet depressed. Use Hawkins to do fortunetelling and see which plans have the highest odds of success. Bonney charged in like a dumbass and got owned but if you let somebody else create an opening she could have ended the fight instantly by turning him into a baby (or we’d get to see baby Bullet kick everybody’s rear end which would be hilarious). But nope! The only strategy that exists is a frontal assault and move sets that already exist.

And again, the choppy editing killed any sense of tension or momentum which made it impossible to get invested in the good stuff that actually was present.

Also the Foxy pirates didn’t get a post-time skip update to their look which was super lame imo. 4/10

Brother Entropy posted:

anime movies like stampede never have good plots but they can have cool fights or big fanservice moments and by those metrics stampede was pretty good

Again, I’ll point you to Film Gold which took the standard formula and added a neat Oceans 11 twist to it. It wasn’t just that a bad guy shows up to fight and then they fight. Due to the nature of the setting the crew needs to gamble and scheme to win which created new situations and by extension new ways for the crew to use their powers. Also that movie had a real sense of style to it which Stampede was sorely lacking.

Not going to say people are crazy or wrong for liking it or anything. Lord knows I enjoy my share of absolute trash. It just bugs the crap out of me because even the weaker OP movies (that I’ve seen) had more going on under the hood than this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The only real reason to watch the anime anymore is for the voice acting and music (though there has been some slight improvement as far as the action scenes are concerned ever since the new director took over).

There are certain key scenes that are handled gloriously (Big Mom’s wedding for example) but for the most part it’s so poorly done that I can’t even watch it anymore. I don’t even think a DBZ Kai recut would save it at this point since even with proper pacing the core canon material is still incredibly rushed and cheap looking.