Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

Seeing those two Luffys at once made everything so confusing to follow :( I couldn't really tell, who voiced Fake Zoro?

Fake Zoro was Usopp
Fake Sanji was Zoro
Fake Robin was Nami
Fake Chopper was Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Because Zoro gags are better than any skull joke x1000.

Zoro is the best. All his attacks are stupid puns.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I fixed that for you.

I meant "stupid" as in Silly, but that too.

KoB
May 1, 2009
And Franky continues to be the best Strawhat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

But making an opening twice as long would give them the same amount of work, wouldn't it? If they're hurting for time (god knows they were when they stared this), why not throw endings in too?

They dont have to license two songs.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Teek posted:

Funimation finally licensed post-Skypeia One Piece for DVD/BR release. Was a long time coming, as it looked for awhile there like they wouldn't.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/blog/2011/10/28/thenextvoyage/

They've gotten the season 4 block, 206-263. Apparently they're licensed in blocks, rather than the whole show.

Sadly One Piece isnt quite popular enough in the west to warrant dropping the kind of cash Toei probably wants for the whole show. Doing it in blocks and making money off each bit is probably the only way we'd ever see it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

As far as I can tell, it's the art style. People get mad as gently caress when they watch an anime that doesn't have that identical sparkle-eyed CLAMP bishounen look. (I'm not sure why Dragonball gets a pass while One Piece doesn't, since DB/Z/etc's art is worse in every way.)

Pretty much the same thing happened to Lupin III.

It would fit in with a lot of the normal American cartoons art-wise except One Piece can be pretty bloody and brutal at times.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

But if you're a woman who wants to become a man and you do, why would you wear womens' clothing afterwards?

Why does it have to be so black and white?

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked that young Roger was voiced by Ace

KoB
May 1, 2009
Even if Luffy can punch Akainu, hes still loving lava. Haki doesnt stop him from being lava, just that you can hit him.

Just like it wouldnt stop Kizaru from moving at loving light speed. People severely overestimate Luffy using haki.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

The problem with the plan being that (possible manga spoilers) Akainu is now probably in Sengoku's old position and there will probably be a new admiral in his place. I'd like to say Smoker, but that's a hell of a promotion.

Not honestly sure whether the anime has covered that or not since I don't watch every (or even a lot of) episodes, so spoilered just in case.

We saw the scene were Sengoku stepped down, its currently speculation just like in the manga.

KoB
May 1, 2009
526: http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

KoB
May 1, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Can't say I dig his new hat though.

Hes just wearing a thing over his old hat. Its still there.

KoB
May 1, 2009

User0015 posted:

What I'm wondering is: In the Manga, has this happened for any of the characters? Has anyone actually had their lifelong wish granted? That was the reason they became crew members in the first place, so I wonder if that's something that will happen as the series goes on.

The manga hasnt even left fishman island yet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Liar posted:

1) I hope it's not another 3D computer generated film.

2) I hope it's set post time skip.

3) I hope it has manga tie ins like Strong World.

quote:

the teaser said that the new film will be set in the manga and anime's ongoing New World Arc.

KoB
May 1, 2009

OrangeGuy posted:

I'd say Luffy is living the dream too. He wants to find One Piece and become the Pirate King, sure, but it's the adventure in pursuing those objectives that he lives for.

He stated that his idea of the "Pirate King" is the man with the most freedom in the world. Hes been doing a pretty good job of that so far.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

I know it's convenient for the story and all but this always bothered me. Has no one ever invented a sextant in the One Piece universe? Do stars not exist?

I dont think anyone has mapped the Grand Line before, so knowing the direction youre going wouldnt help if there werent island for thousands of miles. Thats sorta part Nami's dream.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Watched Movie 11 earlier, which I thought was pretty decent, mindless fun, but then I realized I haven't seen Movie 8 yet, so I went and watched that, too.

Wow.

I thought Movie 9 was the worst of the movies but Movie 8 does everything in it's power to be even worse.

The plot was chopped up and barely cohesive, making the whole movie move way too fast for it's own good, there was no flow to it, it's just hitting all the important points and skipping anything that was too complex to explain without dedicating some time to it, the Mr. Prince subplot is a great example but even stuff like why it started to rain at the end gets brushed under the rug.

But that's not why I'm disappointed, I entered into that movie with the understanding that they would butcher the story because it's a complex piece of work, took 70 episodes or so to tell the entire thing during the series, so I was mostly watching to see the fights get better animation and of course more Vivi, and if it delivered that I would, in fact, call it better than Movie 9.

Only it turns out the animation is horrible, like incredibly bad, even worse than what the anime already did, which isn't to say these fights in the anime were bad but rather that the anime didn't have a movie's budget or time so they should have been so much better here, but they weren't, they were awful, completely lacking in tension and action, and that's just sad.

Also the music was pretty poorly used, which is another slap in the face.

I'm just... kinda surprised, really, that it was that bad, I thought it was just the odd numbered movies that were bad, but this one... oh, man, it's terrible, easily the worst of the bunch by a wide margin, it has no sense of pacing, no sense of tension, no understanding of how to frame action, no feel for how the music could be used, lackluster animation and a rehashed story butchered beyond understanding...

And the funny thing is, I get the distinct impression that the guy who was put in charge of this movie was probably also involved in the anime's War of the Summit, which I really dislike for almost all the same reasons...

Meh, whatever, at least Oda's taking charge of Movie 12, so at least that one will be good and the pattern will only have one anomaly in it.

Yeah, 9 wasnt great but at least they took the existing fights and just added another on top, where 8 kinda just made them worse.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jorenko posted:

This is how frogs and other web-footed animals swim. It's not all that impractical.

The Frog:leg and Ship:paddle ratio is completely different, they'd barely move at all.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Primoman posted:

Yeah, but I'm a 720p whore, and Funi's streams are far too low a quality to roll back on.

As far as this thread (and this subforum) are concerned, we only discuss legal means when available.

KoB fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 23, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009

seigfox posted:

The ability to hit anyone, anywhere, with anything after a single touch is not too shabby either. I imagine he'll also have some other weird applications of his power once that glove comes off.

That said I think it would make me happier if they did stomp everyone easily and instead the drama/challenge was protecting the rest of the island from being destroyed.

The glove is so his power wont lock on to anyone else. He can only have 1 person per hand at any given time and one is reserved for Shirahoshi.

KoB
May 1, 2009
541 is up
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fix posted:

No episode this week?

One Piece and Toriko were both crossover episodes this week.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ulio posted:

Are the strong world anime build up episodes worth the watch? I originally skipped those since I didn't really about the movie.

Nah, theres an Episode 0 that is a little prequel with Garp and Sengoku thats pretty rad though.

KoB
May 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

They are getting close to the manga again, I expect a bit of filler after Fishman Island.

They cant get closer. Each episode is literally one chapter.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drakkel posted:

When they did the Drum Island arc as a movie they included Robin and Franky despite the fact that it took place before they joined the crew.

The entire arc was basically just Luffy, Sanji, Nami, and Chopper anyway, so they just stood around with Zoro and Usopp.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im pretty sure we're not supposed to discuss subs since its freely available in the US and the forums are US based.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ep 555 - Deadly Attacks One After Another! Zoro and Sanji join the battle!

e: Why did they change the Geppou noise?

KoB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 8, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009
When Sunny was first made, Franky explained that he only used 4 of the 6 slots in Sunny's interior. (The submarine, mini-merry, etc)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dukeofdummies posted:

Did he?

I'm probably forgetting something but I thought he had two zeroes for the paddles, and then

mini merry
sharky
Nami's waver
???

in slots 1-4

right...?
I wouldnt click on the link, spoilers.

There are six slots. Paddles are 0. Skypiea cloud scooter thing, sub, and mini-merry are 1-3. 4 and 5 were empty.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Crocodile is fantastic. Badass ability, always wears stylin' clothes, smug as hell. Hes probably me favorite One Piece villain.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres just no episode this week, but next week will be amazing to make up for it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Iron Pirate! Here comes General Franky! :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I guess I kind of felt more like Nami this episode. Franky's tanks transformations were awesome and all, and I can understand how funny Chopper, Ussop, and Luffy were in their reaction, but it just wasn't doin' it for me I guess. They may have massively strayed from any sense of being an anime about pirates, haha. Also, I stand by my conviction that Human-Human fruit doesn't grant you burrowing powers. :colbert:

Do you hate adventure and beams too?

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmTlNqlMeRk

Johnny and Yosaku :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

Since I'm at work, does this one go back and add in the joining the crew scenes for the members that were skipped over in the last one, or is it just 4 minutes of post Marineford?

Its a completely different video that stays pre-timeskip. It does include the other crew though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure the anime people came out and said that ratings fall when there's filler and padding it out doesn't effect it. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Isnt One Piece a Sunday morning show? It should be out by now then.

KoB
May 1, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Not seeing him train is a good thing. Training arcs are terrible.

Luffy also only really thinks about his fighting style when he loses. Crocodile kicked his rear end because all his attacks were straightforward and the same 5 things, Gear 2 was non-canon retconned by a movie to have been an accidental discovery (theres no way Luffy would have thought that up on his own anyway, though Gear 3 seems like a dumb Luffy idea that happened to work out), and all his new moves are from training by himself for a year and a half on an island filled with monsters.

Up until the timeskip, his new moves were usually "hit harder" or "hit more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

What movie was that? Until now I thought it was his genuine invention. I don't follow the universe all that much so that's why I'm asking.

The Mecha-castle one. He fights a giant metal crab thing and gets stepped on (compressing his legs) and blasts it away, noting that it was more powerful than normal.

I think it was movie 7, but it could have been 5.
5 was that awful Zoro one, it was 7 "The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle"