Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Oh god.. I think I'm going to be sick in my mouth a little..

Crappy nipple flashlights and even the boxes are sweating.. You fat gently caress, you're the reason everyone thinks anime fans are creepy as hell.
Is this seriously that horrifying? You might be overreacting a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nechronic posted:

It bothers me because he doesn't have an eyepatch. You're a PIRATE, man. Come on.
Actually, does any one piece character even have an eyepatch? I can't think of one, but I have awful memory when it comes to minor villains.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Shiki had sword legs, which are sorta like peglegs only a lot cooler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

I know that, I'm saying taking out the ending and adding a minute to the opening means they're at the same length as before.

EDIT: Oh wait I get it now I'm dumb. I think not having to license two songs is the main reason, yeah.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 25, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, once the Dream arc is over we're at WATER 7!

Franky's VA will either be amazing or horrible. With a character like that, there's really no in-between.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regarding Caribou, It looks like he's eaten a logia, yeah. Mud or Clay or Swamp or something of that sort, going by the color and how liquidy it was.

Given One Piece though, he's probably made out of liquid chocolate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hell, even the people he and his crew do beat up get that. Look at Mr. 3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If the joke was at Sanji's expense, then there'd be at least some people there who weren't horrifically ugly, and the other characters wouldn't react the same way.

I mean, Mr. 2 had some wonky lines, but he was still treated as a person with his own dreams, goals, and motivations. Same with Ivankoff or however you spell that. These characters literally just exist for you to laugh at and be horrified at, because, hey, they're different.

Talking reindeer? Sure. Animated skeleton? Far out.

Someone you do not find personally attractive having a romantic interest in you? Woah, slow down there.

It's seriously harshing my 'gently caress yes One Piece' buzz.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

It's not "All transsexuals are freaks", it's "Holy poo poo these transsexuals are ugly."
Yes, these are one of like two groups of transsexuals we see. And the others are literally transsexuals via magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uhm... where did you get the idea that I was mad because they were either pretty or ugly? I'm mad because they're literally made out to be one of the most disgusting things in the entire show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I found the whole thing to be pretty funny myself. It was just some goofy comedy moment.
It was a goofy comedy moment that was pretty much the trans version of a minstrel show.

I mean, dumb crass jokes are one thing, but the phrase "real women" was literally used by a character we are meant to like and identify with.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 8, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Underneath it is an Ouroboros tattoo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The part where he's originally a reindeer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The artstyle in the 6th movie was amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dvorak posted:

Being relatively new to the show, at what point should I watch the movies?
Movie 1: Just after the Captain Kuro arc.
Movie 2: ... No idea, actually, it's been years since I watched it. I guess around episode 69?
Movie 4: At some point after the Alabasta Arc. Around episode 130ish?
Movie 5: Takes place directly after Movie 4.
Movie 6: Just before the Water 7 arc, I guess? Around episode 224?
Movie 7: Also just before the Water 7 arc.
Movie 10: After episode 429.

Movie 3 is kind of awful, and movies 8 and 9 are just movie versions of arcs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 9, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thousand Sunny hasn't sailed around the world yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You don't care that he's making fun of them because you're not trans. That's fine for you, by all means, but can you seriously not see how someone who is might get offended by this? People read silly manga like One Piece to get distracted from reality, not to be reminded that a decent chunk of humanity literally thinks they're less than human.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Himuro posted:

Er...I have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder. How do you know anything about me?
I was talking to tsob? I probably should have quoted them to make that clearer but.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a difference, though. Pretty much everyone understands and agrees that wanting to spy on women in the changing room is a bad thing, or at least an inappropriate thing. Even actual sexists would probably agree with that, at least in the sense of "You don't need to tell everybody about wanting to spy on them."

A very large chunk of the population is woefully misinformed about trans issues, on the other hand. They're very rarely talked about or portrayed in media, and when they are it's often inaccurate, vilifies them, or both. There are probably quite a few people out there who have literally had no exposure to the topic before One Piece, at least directly, especially considering how young some of it's readers are, and there are probably a few people who think Sanji is perfectly justified in both being horrified by and wanting to beat the poo poo out of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like this is a trick question. What do you mean by "universally positive?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm fine with jokes and such. All I'm asking is that the jokes not be... iunno, so demonizing. The fact that Impel Down was kinda decent doesn't change the fact that that Oda literally introduced an island of crossdressers and transgenders that want to sexually assault men. All men. Run from the people that are different from you. It is implied that they're literally going to rape you.

There's a difference between that and "being the butt of jokes", y'know? It's not that I think trans issues are the most serious poo poo ever and should never even be in the same room as comedy, it's just that you can make jokes about them without portraying them as the enemy of all decent people, like our man, the guy we've watched grow and develop and change and, despite his flaws, be a generally good guy, Sanji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The drum island movie isn't terrible, just sort of redundant unless you really want four minutes of Franky dicking around in snow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arlong Park is shorter, so it has that going for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

The only way you are doing it wrong is if you are watching the dubbed episodes.
The new dub is pretty competent from what I've seen of it so it's ultimately a matter of preference. It's not like we're dealing with 4kids editing out major info or anything, it's just different voice actors, all the dialogue and plot is literally the exact same.

So yeah, no.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Luffy's managed to boost his powers on his own, what with the gears, Robin's powers are already kind of absurd, and I don't really see any way you could boost Brook's.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's definitely a victim of the anime's pacing - I remember it going by a lot quicker in the Manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The dub VAs vary, but I really love Ussop's voice. He sounds exactly like I always imagined he would.