Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What I was thinking is that the eyecatches will be different variations of all the Strawhats walking, with someone's "item" in the foreground. Like Zoro's swords, Nami's tangerines/pinwheel, maybe Sogeking's mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Sogeking isn't a Straw Hat, though. Did you perhaps confuse him with someone else in the crew?

So then why's this guy hanging around with 'em?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I kind of hated Franky's design at first, and to be honest I still prefer his original, but it definitely got better over time for whatever reason.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Obviously Zoro's going to upgrade to Nidai Kitetsu, and then Shodai Kitetsu at some point.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Anony Mouse posted:

I like everyone's new looks... except for Franky. He looks so weird. I can't get over his new hairstyle, either. It's so un-Franky of him. Oh well... :(

I'm sure you'll get used to him. Admittedly I still prefer the old design but the new one doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Quick Part 1 Q: I'm upto around ep 300 and have run out of K-F subs, and there seems to be a gap until I can start watching the series streamed on the official site. Any recommendations on a good sub group?

Not really. Unless things have changed since I watched through the series about 2 years ago, you just sort of have to jump around to various groups. I never found a consistent way to get through those hundred or so episodes. Hell back when I was watching, it was more like 150, K-F was only about halfway through Water 7 I think.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

OrangeGuy posted:

Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.

In terms of just the music track, I'd go with either the 2008 remix of We Are! or, being a Ska fan, Crazy Rainbow. If it's OP+Music, then either 2008 We Are! or this new version of We Go! with the little callback to the original opening.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's... it's not like they're re-animating it every week...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I've talked to plenty of people who somehow can't get over One Piece having a non-standard art style. They'll say stuff like "Luffy's O_O eyes" bug them, or Usopp's nose, or the fact that the characters are so lanky compared to other anime characters. It's really frustrating when you know just how loving good OP is and you're just unable to convince anybody who doesn't already agree with you.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

With the new episodes licensed, does that mean they're going to start putting up new dubbed episodes on the site again? I don't remember what the last dubbed episode was so I can't tell. A friend of mine who I got into the show (but doesn't watched subbed anime :smith:) has been waiting for new ones for a long time now so I'll be happy if that's the case.

They were about halfway or 2/3 through G8 on the DVD sets, dunno if they finished it on the site or not.

God I couldn't stop smiling once that ending sequence kicked in. Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro just impressing the poo poo out of EVERYBODY set to We Go! So awesome.

I read the manga but I often times prefer the anime just because of poo poo like this.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

They stopped at 206, which I think is the end of the G8 arc. Well, technically those were done before the first two seasons, so it's been like 3 or 4 years since any actually new episodes have been dubbed. Dubbed episodes of Davy Back arc should pop up on the site around summer 2012.

They re-dubbed Skypeia for the DVD releases.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Wait. What!? What's different between the two? Other than changing "king" back to "God" that is.

Well considering Funi started dubbing at Skypeia, the voice actors were just starting their roles, and not all of them had found their "groove" so to speak. By the time they went back and started dubbing the series from the start, they had pretty much all figured out their characters, so when they got back to Skypeia, they decided to re-dub it without the edits (Zolo/Zoro, King/God, Knight/Priest, etc) and with some experience under both the VAs' and directors' belts.

You could probably think of the Toonami run as practice.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, the first few episodes of One Piece are terrible because of Koby. He is such an awful character. Granted he is made less horrible later on, but he is still not a very good character.

I think maybe Oda felt like he had to have the stereotypical weakling annoying kid who does nothing, but quickly got rid of that idea (and implemented elements of it in Usopp and Chopper). That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I was never too bothered by Coby in his initial appearance honestly, because when I first started watching, barged through the series. I started watching, Coby showed up, and an hour later he was gone and I was like "oh, well, bye".

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I mean, dumb crass jokes are one thing, but the phrase "real women" was literally used by a character we are meant to like and identify with.

A character who has 3 motivations in life: Cooking, All-Blue, LADIES.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

New episode's up

Good episode. I thought it was really well animated particularly the opening bits with the Kraken and the ending with the Flying Dutchman/the Strawhats' reactions to it.

Also, basically anything involving Franky was perfect. That's not a spoiler because everyone already knows that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I'm of the opinion now that if you keep the same favorite character week after week then One Piece isn't the right show for you because they are all amazing.

It shifts every week between Franky, Usopp, and Sanji for me. Occasionally Luffy and Zoro will also take the spot.

Robin's straight-faced morbidness is pretty funny at times.

Chopper's only as popular as he is because he's the mascot of the show. Kids love 'im.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I definitely like 6 but it's just too weird for me to be honest. My favorites are 10, 4, and 9. Bottom are definitely 1, 3, and 8. 2's alright.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 7, 2011

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I've only seen movies 6, 9, and 10, but I enjoyed them all.
6 was great, but very different from anything else in the series (and Hosoda's other films). Genuinely creepy, too.
9 was pretty good, but the most enjoyable parts were from the actual series. It's a good movie because the story that it's adapting was good. The extra characters and scenes were unnecessary but didn't take away from the experience.
10 was basically it's own canon story arc compressed into a movie. I found it to be really good, though as far as the overall plot goes it didn't affect much.

I would suggest checking out 4 as well, it's got a similar vibe to 10 but more like an early series story arc.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

User0015 posted:

That reminds me of something. Not this episode, but last episode, when Sanji sees the mermaids and announces he's finally found his version of All Blue and has seen his lifelong dream.

What I'm wondering is: In the Manga, has this happened for any of the characters? Has anyone actually had their lifelong wish granted? That was the reason they became crew members in the first place, so I wonder if that's something that will happen as the series goes on.

Become Pirate King
Become World's Strongest Swordsman
Find All-Blue
Become a brave warrior of the sea, reunite with his father
Chart a map of the world
Find a cure for any illness
Find Rio Poneglyph
Build a dream ship that sails around the world
Reunite with Laboon

Franky's dream was sort of half-accomplished already, so I think his may have changed to being there as it does the sailing/keeping it maintained. Possibly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I really hope the Sanji having a nosebleed joke is dropped really soon. Its really getting overdone.

I think it's actually far less irritating than it was in the manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Crocodile was the absolute perfect villain to bring back aside from Buggy.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Funi dub is excellent. The only dislike I ever see for it is from people who claim to always hate dubs (which is dumb imo). Pretty much every major character is casted as close as they can come to perfectly, and they do a really good job with translation.

The thing with Luffy's voice I've noticed is that Mayumi Tanaka perfectly captures Luffy's childlike innocence and blissful stupidity, whereas Colleen Clinkenbeard gives him more of an adventurous and headstrong feel. At least that's how I hear it. They're about equal when doing Angry Luffy though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I went through the entire series watching the anime, and only picked up the manga when the timeskip happened. I never felt like I was getting an inferior product until Marineford, which was kind of unbearable to watch. I might go back and read that separately just to get a less plodding version of it. The animation quality has also suffered since Impel Down.

I didn't like Fishman Island all that much while reading it so I stopped watching until a few weeks ago when I heard the fights were about to start. For the anime-only viewers, trust me, the next arc is far better.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm watching the davy back episodes they've added to hulu, and jesus christ. I never watched this part before, but did they really just extend the arc by having luffy agree to another set of games?

It's not like it's something out of character for Luffy to do, and it's probably one of the best instances of "padding" I can think of. Would you rather have 3 extra games or have the original 3 games take twice as long as they need to? I thought it was fine my first time through.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Chopper's whole thing is pretty unique to himself, being a doctor and knowing a lot about biology and the like. He might be able to create Rumble Balls designed for other Zoans (if we're working under the assumption that the ones he uses are meant specifically for him) but I doubt he'd come up with anything for the other two classes.

I'm betting once we see more of Vegapunk or his research, Chopper will be the one to learn about Devil Fruits while Franky is working on putting more sweet cyborg tech into his chest cavity or something.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of a shame the cover spoils that fight for people who might not know that it's coming and are watching the english version first.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Use a mirror until you get the hang of it.

No seriously, have a hand mirror ready and hold it at such an angle that you can figure out what's happening on the page. You only need to use it when you're starting out and there are too many panels to make sense of what's happening when reading backwards. You'll learn to adapt eventually but until then, it's okay to have a way to parse what's going on until you learn to do it while reading.

I've been reading manga for years (not as hardcore as most of you guys though) and I honestly still have problems telling what's happening during action sequences.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Is it just me or was the animation quality in this episode a lot better than it has been for awhile? I skipped most of Fishman Island since I wasn't the biggest fan of it even in the manga but whenever I watched anything it was just... not great looking. But this one seems like they're putting in more effort.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Watched Film Z. Loved it. Best movie so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

My only problem with it was the New World Doomsday plan, it wasn't needed since everyone still had perfectly good reasons to show up and have a good ol' fashioned brawl and it was silly. Hell, the anime tie in episodes showed that the Marines and the Neo Marines were already antagonistic and the movie opened with a fight between the two.

Also the New World Doomsday plan seems like the type of absolute dickery that Akainu would be down with instead of being pissed at.

Yeah but there needs to be more at stake than Luffy's hat.