Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Bakuman anime does this, and so do others. The problem is that since One Piece is so popular they want to maximize profits and keep viewership up.

Also I remember hearing that there's no guarantee that a show gets its timeslot back when it takes a break for seasons. Which doesn't really matter for most anime that comes on at like 2, but I guess that screws up OP since they can easily get a slot that's too young/old for the target demographic and it's basically on primetime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You're out of luck then, pal. Fishman Island is mostly pretty terrible no matter how you slice it, but Punk Hazard at least is mostly pretty drat fast in the comic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I really liked Don Krieg...

People talk about Arlong Park being the defining moment in the series, but Baratie works so much better for that IMO, partly because Kreig's such an underhanded cowardly shithead. Seeing a guy who thinks he's greater than God have his cheap tricks and armor powered through by Luffy's bare hands is basically the "Holy poo poo" moment where One Piece goes from a goofy children's magic pirate cartoon to a...goofy children's magic pirate cartoon with cool moments.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

I thought in the anime we had a few episodes dedicated to what they were doing on the island? I think it was 2 characters per episode. I distinctly remember Usopp on that wacky Island where he got fat, Robin on some bridge making colony meeting up with the Revolutionary army, Sanji on Tranny Island, Zoro training with Mihawk and a few more I'm too lazy to mention.

Pretty sure the anime got the same thing the manga got, where Zoro begged to train under Mihawk, Sanji found out he could make superfood in Newkama Island, Robin joined the revolutionaries, etc. But yeah, I'm assuming that we're gonna get the flashbacks before each character's first real New World fight. Although, there can't really be enough flashbacks about Zoro learning how to slash entire plateaus in half while half asleep, or all the crazy monsters Luffy named his new moves after. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That's not really the same thing as a legit flashback of Luffy and the others having flashbacks to their actual training, it's just filler that expands on the cover arcs and pre-timeskip stuff we already knew about.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can: about the sixth or seventh time it happened.

It stayed funny for slightly more iterations than Sanji perving out, though, so that's a plus!

So do you not like any of the recurring gags in One Piece, because that's like the best one besides Chopper loving up hiding. To be fair though, if you're anime-only they probably ran it into the ground.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Remember back in Ennies Lobby when a whole bunch of people were insistning Paulie should join the crew? What a bunch of loving losers.

To be fair though, Franky kind of comes across as an egregious rear end in a top hat in Water 7. If Franky's gang didn't mug Usopp and Luffy didn't retaliate by literally destroying Franky House, then there probably would have been way more people who wanted the cola-powered pompadour cyborg in the crew.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Oda said that 130's the average age for humans in OP, so it's more that Whitebeard's in his fifty's and really sick. Kureha's just weird because no one should be that healthy at 130.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I was pretty amused by the fact that One Piece had Roy Mustang's VA playing another character with fire abilities. Haha.

Luffy's Hawkeye too, which is pretty funny by itself but fits even better with Ace.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Bartholemew Bear is a dumb name.

They should have called him Barry.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

well yes he cut her but then she and vergo actually did die.

No, Monet had her heart stabbed and Vergo got caught in an explosion. That's not really dead considering pre-time skip Luffy survived the insane level of strain he put on his body during Impel Down-Marineford.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Dalton has the Bison fruit, Minotaurus has some sort of Cow fruit. Possibly Model: Holstein or something.

No, for some silly reason all of the hooved Zoan fruits are referred to as the Cow Cow Fruit: Model [Animal] instead of Horse Horse (which isn't really accurate either but works better), so he's saying Dalton had a subcategory of the Horse Horse fruit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, this is a pretty important thing to remember that still makes it not that great but understandable. Plus, you haven't finished yet, Usopp redeems himself in a big way and that isn't hyperbole at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The monster trio is 2/3 monstrously boring

Uh, Zoro is both cool as hell and probably one of the funniest Strawhats when he has someone to play off of though???

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
With all he hype Warlords get its honestly kind of bizarre that the ones besides Doflamingo can't keep trucking to such an absurd extent. Like, it's legit horrifying how strong the dude is and considering Mihawk it makes sense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh, the gorilla in the flashback with Rayleigh? Derp, I didn't think of that. You're right. I thought he was using it as a metaphor. :downs:

That was a really bizarre detail. How can a gorilla be on the same level strength-wise as Doffy, one of the top-tier Shichibukai? Even with the Strong World plant buffing up the animals, the Straw Hats didn't have too much issue with the animals in the Strong World movie and Shiki was supposed to be strong enough to handle the animals at least. It just still seems like a really weird way of skewing the power scale in the One Piece world.

At least Mihawk's apes were only as strong as pre-time skip Zoro and Mihawk was still clearly on a scale far beyond his islands animals (a cut above the rest, you could say :v:).

You could just assume Doflamingo's severe internal bleeding that his impromptu surgery didn't really fix long-term was a factor. Plus, it's likely that Luffy midtraining wasn't as strong as he is now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Besides the obvious Bepo and Pekoms (full Minks), Beast Tamer Mohji from Buggy's crew could be part-Mink.

Nah, Oda confirmed he just has crazy hair.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm REALLY digging the Funimation dub and going along with it. Is the anime worth watching all the way through, or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point?

As someone who did the same, just stop after Water 7 and go YouTube every good scene from the manga, because it's a pretty gradual descent to Garbo-land from there. Also google the cover story arcs or something; they're little side-stories that the anime hardly bothered with that explains some stuff like Django and Fullbody's bromance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Brooks english VA is the only one thats definitely better than the japanese, imo.

Zoro tho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
im pretty sure they flat-out state that even a sliver of that fish's flesh is instadeath, so even someone with super antibodies like Luffy is gonna be adversely affected

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there's a list of all the filler, but for what's worthwhile, basically:
- the thing coming up with Coby and Helmeppo is 100% canon
- Naverrou/G5 is some good poo poo
And there you go.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I'm more or less cool with all the dub VAs except Franky cause his voice direction's super off, but moonspeak Sanji is pretty great for NAMI-SWAN and almost making you believe Sanji's a badass. Also Luffy's VA pretty much has consistently perfect delivery on all his lines but it's pretty clear that after like ten years she's straining to keep up the actual voice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
People like to blame the old dub, but imo it's really as simple as One Piece being far more open about being a kid's cartoon/comic. Plus I've heard of the art style being off-putting to some.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
We always knew that, he just always covers one because his dart-brows both swirl in the same direction so he looks like an idiot if he doesn’t.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf that’s been a thing since he made a hole for the lady assassins to fall in at whisky peak, then nearly crushed Ms Monday(?)’s skull instead of just slashing her, it just didn’t stand out because Zoro also does stuff like mowing down the marines at Ennes Lobby with the back of his blade.

Although then the Monet fight would still be retarded because he could have used a back blade haki attack and been done with it, but then Luffy looks even worse.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was imho, they just weren’t paying attention. I don’t really think the dub should be an issue just for getting in; up until like Water 7 the show basically just has filler arcs/episodes instead of the egregious padding it’s now infamous for, and that’s still like 130 episodes once you skip the padding. Plus a lot of the old filler was actually good, like Zoro’s expanded backstory and Gold Roger’s execution.

Incidentally, the One Pace actually asked if they should do the dub or sub since they didn’t have time to edit both iirc and people said sub.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Blueno fight is how to do good filler, there’s a little lost in that Gear Second’s attacks aren’t actually just invisible except for the impact like the manga but every attack feelsso good to watch, if that makes sense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m only like halfway through Baratie on my first rewatch since I got into the series since in like 2009 and yeah, Netflix’s inexplicable cropping is probably making things worse but even this far back I’m noticing stuff like extended reaction shots and jank animation in a few scenes. Tbf im also noticing how next level OP’s OST was now that I’ve watched other older stuff like Yu Yu Hakasho, and that even now it stands with the best of its modern contemporaries in that regard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm watching One Piece for the first time ever, and I just finished Episode 8, and I teared up a little when Shou Shou got his little bit of dog food from Luffy.

Heck yeah, I teared up on my rewatch too. Feel free to post in the manga thread too if this is to dead for you; the spoilers really boil down to “Luffy punched the bad man real good” and everyone there loves to read new impressions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hey I said “too”. We’ll all get together to post about One Piece Kai in 2040, don’t worry about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now that the guy who sung the English version of We Are turned out to be a scumbag monster, the Pirate Rap can take back its rightful throne as the King Of The English Opening. Can’t believe we ever hated that theme...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Apologies, I shouldn’t presume that everyone was as wrongheaded as me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Do you mean the scrapped 4Kids version or the one from the Funimation dub? Either way, who sang it and what did he do?

Funimation, there’s a thread on him here (Vic Mignoma) if you want the details but I’m not trying to be Captain bring down for new viewers so I won’t elaborate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

One Piece is the anime that most desperately needs the Dragonball Kai treatment. Hell even DBZ wasn't nearly as badly paced as OP has gotten.

It’s kinda telling that fans have already made their own version of Kai, tbh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Given what we know now....was Whitebeard the weakest of the original four emperors? It seems likely at this point, even though it did basically take the full combined forces of the entire Navy, all of the Warlords (minus Jinbei), and a last second intervention from Blackbeard to take him down.

Imagining the same war happening but against Kaidou, Big Mom, or Shanks' crews and it seems way less winnable even with those odds, in my mind.

He definitely was, but also was with a full staff of nurses waiting on him while hooked up to medical equipment in his debut, so in a certain sense it sells how horrifying he was if it took that much of a concentrated effort to deal with someone who was definitely not doing great even before the battle started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, it’s probably just that the manga’s closer than it’s probably ever been to the anime and Oda took a three week break off for medical checkups after Toriyama’s passing made him reflect on things.