Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm pretty sure they were together for more than just two months. I would guess the adventures took place throughout a little under a year.

This is my guess also, although I might have to give the series a re-read and check. I'm sure there's at least a week of sailing between almost every adventure, though, unless stated otherwise by time pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Himuro posted:

It's most likely temporary. If I remember back when they introduced the new eyecatches about 5 years ago, they had one for Luffy for like 5 episodes until they showed some for the rest of the crew.

That's my bet. They'll keep this one a while, it's good for showing off the whole crew, and they'll slowly add more for individual crew members as they can.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RabidWeasel posted:

Franky is the only one whose redesign feels less interesting than the original. I can forgive it because Brook is the most amazing thing.

I kind of agree, mainly for his new haircut. I miss the big floofy semi-pompadour.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also losing an eye as a swords man must be really bad. No more depth perception!

These things happen when one of your sword hands is your face.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ryaomon posted:

oh my god who will play foxy that is all that matters

Stephen Merchant.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Man, the pacifistas got completely wrecked! What a good episode.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think maybe Oda felt like he had to have the stereotypical weakling annoying kid who does nothing, but quickly got rid of that idea (and implemented elements of it in Usopp and Chopper). That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

That first theory makes perfect sense, really. One Piece came out right in the middle of a wave of shounen manga with especially useless annoying kid side characters, and at the time it was just some new thing, not the big megahit One Piece now is. Latching on to what was popular at the time, and then discarding it when the chance arose because it was annoying, makes sense.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Scratchman Apoo posted:

If it makes you folks feel any better, in the manga chapter one of the Okama's was chewing on one of the marine soldiers in the background. So it's presumed something was going on aside from just "Oh no they are creepy and fruity!"

In the manga it was just one panel, so it's assumed they were actually doing something fighty. Like you said, someone in the background was EATING A MARINE'S HEAD. That sort of thing is less "oh they're creepy and weird" and more "HOLY poo poo". It was pretty strongly implied that these people Sanji spent two years running away from might actually be really legitimately scary dudes!

Then the anime kind of dashed that all under the rocks by giving them a good minute of airing time, during which they did nothing but flirt with marines, who were running in fear. Which really strongly undermines any mental image you might've had about them from the manga and replaces it with transphobia.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I kind of suspect that Caribou has a devil fruit power, and the whole point of him attacking is so that Luffy can show off his Haki against a Logia opponent. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that Luffy learned how to use Haki. Before, Logia users required him using a strategy to defeat them, but now he probably can just punch them.

He's been able to just punch every other bad guy up until now, and there have been a lot of cases where that didn't work and he needed a different strategy! Like Buggy, and Oz, and Foxy, and Kuma, and so on.

...The point is, being able to punch a logia doesn't negate all the strategy of fighting a Logia user. Aokiji can still freeze everything. Akainu can still destroy just about anything ever. Kizaru can still move at light speed and kick with infinite mass. Logias are still going to be ridiculously difficult opponents with crazy, varied abilities! Luffy can just punch them back now, instead of having to think of a weakness, which is not his style at all. The rest of the crew still can't hurt a Logia user without finding their weakness.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I like to think Franky is living his dream, while all the others are chasing a dream.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The scenes with Sanji continue to be offensive.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think the only reason the Tenryuubito haven't destroyed the whole system yet is because there are very few of them, and they have literally everything they could want already, so they don't actively go out and gently caress things up. They're mostly confined to a single area, and the rest of the world gets to ignore them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nullsmack posted:

God no, this is as overdone of a trope as any.

Yes, it is, but it also would've been filler that basically writes itself. And I'd really rather have filler than have the pacing this arc's going through, and I really really hope the next arc doesn't have these pacing problems. That would just... ugh. No. It deserves better than that. I really hope the anime team either puts filler in before the next arc, or powers up through it anyway and puts in filler after, because I do not want that arc to have these pacing issues.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Dragonatrix posted:

In name, sure, but I can't remember the last time he did anything actually sniper-related. Everything he's done has been based more around his trickster abilities, thank proficiency at hitting dudes from a distance. That might be because he hasn't had a fight with any other snipers/ranged fighters though, so I imagine the drat-near inevitable fight with Yassop will change that a little.

You really can't remember Ussop's greatest moment? His entire involvement in Enies' Lobby was "Snipers are awesome."

e;fb

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Momomo posted:

That was incredibly underwhelming for what was supposed to be his big commitment to the whole thing. They made a big thing about Usopp leaving the crew and coming back, but he ended up not doing a whole lot.

Really? He completely saved the day. Without Usopp they'd've failed. Robin would have been taken and the crew would've been destroyed. He freed her, bought time for Franky, and got all the keys across. With a slingshot. Against the wind. From a kilometer away.

If that's not impressive to you then I don't know what you expect from a sniper.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Momomo posted:

I don't really think he can hold his own at all. The only reason he lasted so long was because Luffy wasn't as serious as he could've been. It only took one hit to take him down.

But Luffy wasn't holding back. That was the whole point. Ussop only did as well as he did because he was relying on Luffy to go all out - the cactus stars and the impact dial were used explicitly because they countered Luffy's best moves.

Yes, Ussop only took one hit in the end - Gum Gum Rifle, one of Luffy's hardest hitting attacks. And Ussop was already really really badly hurt before the fight even started. In spite of that, he dominated Luffy for essentially the entire fight. If Luffy seemed off his game, it's because his mouth was on fire, his eyes were covered in rotten eggs, and every time he tried to dodge he moved right into caltrops or exploding cactus stars. Both of them were going all out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really like this mini mini giant girl. Her design is fantastic and she's a lot of fun. I want her to join the crew, but this is unfortunately only a filler arc so that won't happen.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It'll be another year for the anime, since they're trying to keep everything equal with the manga.

N'thing that this a great start to some anime filler, which isn't something I'd normally be excited for but dammit, One Piece is loving perfect for filler, since anything can happen and it would fit with the world and characters. Why they don't do more filler, or animate the cover arcs, boggles my mind.

gently caress, take a random two page colour cover, and build a story around it. BOOM INSTANT FILLER!

I would love a filler arc built around Lego Castle Island.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This filler arc is looking to be on par with G8. I am loving this.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bobulus posted:

I liked G8 because it played with some stuff that, at the time, the non-filler story hadn't done much with.

- A competent marine commander who cared about his men.
- Robin going deep-cover spy.
- Chopper playing both doctor and mustache-twirling villain.
- Luffy going against a crowd of normals, rather than one super-powered guy.

Now, if you'd already seen that stuff further in the story in the manga or anime, I could see why you wouldn't care.

There's also the bit where it flowed seamlessly with the existing, canon plot - they got into G8 as a direct result of the end of Skypeia, and the further damage to Merry at the end of G8 just makes going to Water 7 even more vital than it already was.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sekkira posted:

You're not the only one.

Why don't they make silly filler crossover of the Strawhats meeting JoJo?

Because the Jojo's anime is too recent, most likely. Maybe in a few seasons.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shadow0 posted:

But the reason he has the intelligence of a human is because he ate the Human Human Fruit. Without that, he should lose all his human powers, which Franky was using as Chopper.

Except Chopper still had his heart, which should still be equally affected by the human human fruit. As we all know, the heart is the most important organ in all of One Piece.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Srice posted:

That and anime tends to not do a lot of fretting about spoilers. Admittedly less so nowadays, but a few decades ago it'd be fairly common to have episode previews that literally say stuff like "In the next episode, this happens and this character dies".

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Oda said in an SBS that a normal human who ate the Human Human Fruit would become enlightened.

And much later than that, Oda clarified in an SBS that Chopper's fruit is actually Hito Hito no Mi: Model Yeti. Sengoku also has a Hito Hito no Mi: Model Buddha. So there's more than one Hito Hito no Mi and the two we've seen so far both have some very obviously useful effects.

Can't wait for the Hito Hito no Mi: Model Cyborg, to go toe to toe with Franky.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The only thing most people know about Impel Down is that it exists and it keeps them safe. I don't think anything more than that is public knowledge - the entire place is surrounded in secrets as a safety measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Its especially disappointing because nothing about Doflamingo looks like he should be this tough in a fight. His backstory is that he's a spoiled brat who lucked into a good power and has a strong crew, there's no reasoning behind his arbitrary near-invincibility. He just is. And it's so dumb.

Any one of his given powers he shows off is fine and cool and could work, but he can somehow use all of them simultaneously while also surviving being punched literally across town and through buildings multiple times and it just gets to a point where it feels like nothing does anything to him. Everyone was expecting him to be a tough fight because he has a strong power set and seems like the kind of clever guy who could use his powers to avoid being hit in the first place, and that's true right up until Law and Luffy get there, where suddenly he's taking blows better than Rob Lucci or Garp ever did and those two are infamous for their toughness and strength. It's just so dumb and out of nowhere and I think that's why nobody likes this dang fight, even if Gear 4 is incredibly cool and some specific moments are neat.