Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I'm glad to hear that the fakehats are voiced by other straw hats. I was always hoping for that! Usopp or Sanji would do a good Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

How much time is covered between the start of the series and the time skip? It has to be at least a year, right? Is there anything to indicate how long it actually was?

2 years (Time Skip) + Less than a year (Presumably)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

WhiffleballDude posted:

So then why's this guy hanging around with 'em?

Misinformation. They brought this up during Enies Lobby actually, Sogeking is just Usopp's good friend.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Liar posted:

So Luffy is fake Robin... I'm disappointed, I really hoped he'd be fake Chopper's growl.

I think you actually got this backwards.

I wish Robin was Fake Chopper though that would have been funny.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Oh cool, Kintaros from Kamen Rider Den-O is playing Caribou. That's an interesting choice.

The Fakehats were pretty much just like this in the manga as well, it's the anime that's going slow to try and let Oda get further along. The anime really isn't even doing 1 chapter=1 episode anymore. It's more like 2/3 of one chapter and 1/12 of another, which ends a lot of the episodes in strange spots.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Nope, Brook pouring the water on himself didn't happen in the manga, some of Caribou's speech to his brother was added, and everything about Brook's final song was new (thought it was really nice.)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They actually had someone do Franky in one of the games and he was okay. Not super enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoQa9rQE2Q

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

New episode up.

Edit: I find it interesting that they decided to reveal that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 30, 2011

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

Pretty sure Garp recaptured him after Coby and Helmeppo stood up to him in front of Garp. Wasn't that what earned them a place being trained by Garp in the first place?

Nope, he's still on the loose. It was confirmed in the manga during Jango's cover story. Axe Hand Morgan was still sailing in his boat while Jango drifted along.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

Pretty sure he outright says he's not as strong as he used to be back in the good ol' days at one point, and that his cannonball punch isn't as good as it used to be. Think it was when he met Coby and Helmeppo. Not sure though.

Regardless, he was still strong enough that he felt he could take Akainu after he killed Ace. And Sengoku believed him by the looks of things.

Not to mention he downed Marco with a single punch. That's how tough Garp is.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
If it makes you folks feel any better, in the manga chapter one of the Okama's was chewing on one of the marine soldiers in the background. So it's presumed something was going on aside from just "Oh no they are creepy and fruity!"

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
The only time I was sort of disappointed in regards to anything okama related was when Ivankov fought Sanji legitimately in the anime. In the manga he got wrecked off screen in like two panels. The anime had Ivankov use a technique that kicked the poo poo out of Kuma on Sanji. That should have annihilated him.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

For one thing, I should be clear- there's nothing wrong with Inazuma at all. They're awesome.

And the issue was more with the archetype than the specific application in One Piece. See Tokyo Godfathers especially to see what I mean. In that one of the main three characters is an Okama, and she's really nice and awesome and strong... but her defining character trait is still just how weird and crazy she is. I mean, it would be really progressive if they were just people, rather than flamboyantly over the top silly different people.

I mean, it's not especially bad. I wasn't complaining about them. I loved that character in Tokyo Godfathers, and I love Bon-chan. They're just plain awesome. They play up the other-ness of these odd characters specifically to make their incredible human qualities, their spectacular compassion, all the more poignant, and I quite enjoy that.

I was specifically responding to the notion that that gave One Piece bonus progressive-points or something like that. In terms of being accepting of trans folks... it's not especially. It's not particularly cruel, but it's still other-ing them.

Except for Inazuma, who is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of when I'm thinking of a real progressive portrayal, though that's kind of caught up in the fantasy of gender magically being perfectly fluid, but whatever. They're cool.

Thinking about all this I'm wondering if that's the whole point of Ivankov's kingdom of transvestites all being a bunch of dudes in drag trying to be cool, but Ivankov is the King/Queen. Ivankov clearly doesn't give a poo poo about gender and views it as unneeded but the other members of his clan that weren't in Impel Down were all about "HEY GUYS LOOK WE'RE TOTALLY CHICKS" and putting dresses on dudes and stuff. Ivankov just wanted freedom, that's why he's a revolutionary. That's why those guys can only hope to be him, they just wanted to be weird but Ivankov wanted to change things.

Or Oda just wanted to draw a bunch of guys wearing make-up I don't know.

Oh also, :goonsay:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
No, actually he was voiced by Jaguar D. Saul, or the same guy who played Future Trunks.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Lilac Kimono posted:

Oh my, Zoro's face is priceless. Specifically when everyone is sitting around Sanji and Zoro's the only one to notice the sheer amount of transfusion bags Sanji's hooked up to.

In the comic he was flipping his poo poo because he saw Franky picking his nose and his hair turning into a pair of horns or something.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I haven't watched the anime episode but isn't it possible that

Hody is just lying?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
What was the music playing when Fukaboshi gave his speech during the funeral? I completely forgot the name of it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

bondster posted:

Nah they are probably saving the new OP for when that character shows up.

Sabo? :v:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Share the World, Map of the Heart, and Fight Together are some of my all time favorite openings; do they not get much love?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I think the anime started trying to make it too goofy even in the spots where it's supposed to be unsettling.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Not sure who is part egg.

Also shouldn't baby no. 5 be dead since she turned herself into an explosive?

Also isn't that SAD tanker Franky is on the one everyone wants to get to? How did he get there?

Baron Tamago from Big Mom's crew. Baby 5's fruit allows her to turn into weapons and oddly enough reform herself so I think it's just a unique property of hers.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

So I am pretty much caught up on the manga and anime. But the one thing I have not done yet is watch the movies.

Well, some of them at least. I purchased Strong World, and seen Hand island and film Z. What are some good movies to recommend?

Tonight's treat is watching Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the secret island, which so far has me cracking up a lot more than the usual show.

Don't worry, that'll change.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Suspicious Lump posted:

Is there a good reason though? Or just silly teasing.

Oda would quit the Manga game if he wasn't able to tease his audience.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
His pants didn't fit right so he stretched his legs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What are some other plausible Mythical Zoan models?:

Cat Model: Lucky Cat
Human Model: Bigfoot/Yeti
Bird Model: Thunderbird
Octopus Model: Kraken (Uh... Don't ask)
Wolf Model: Fenrir
Dragon Model: Orochi (or Hydra)
Snake Model: Leviathan
Human Model: Siren
Bird Model: Harpy
Human Model: Devil/Oni
Human Model: Midas
Rat Model: Ratking
Human Model: Helios
Human Model: Hercules
Boar Model: Behemoth

I could see Fenrir or Leviathan, but I think Oda's scratched the Harpy and Kraken itch already.